The Secret To Perfect Pitch

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Redwolf wrote:Sometimes a person can recognize some notes absolutely and not others. In my case, I can almost always recognize a middle C (natural) if I hear it played, most likely because it's in a very comfortable part of my vocal range. A while back, we were watching a TV show (can't remember what it was...a sitcom, I think) and a character told the piano player to give him a C note. I turned to my husband and said "that's not "C nat., that's C sharp. Went to the piano and, sure enough...it was C sharp. Doesn't work for other notes, though.

Redwolf
If you can do it for one note, just practice your intervals, and you should be able to come up with any note.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
djm

Post by djm »

redwolf wrote:a character told the piano player to give him a C note.
I would have preferred the hundred if I was sharp enough. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Redwolf wrote:Sometimes a person can recognize some notes absolutely and not others.
I can generally hit the correct opening note for Vittoria mio core.
Ever since I had to sing it crappily in voice class. No idea why.
Cass

Post by Cass »

I've always been able to sing a middle c straight off. I've just tried it now, then gone to the piano to check. Spot on. I can't do it for other notes though. Guess I'll have to practise!

Cass,

...and middle C is definitely brown. (my husband says it's orange, but I disagree!)
Cass.

Time flies like an arrow....
....Fruit flies like a banana
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Somewhat like learning to play a piano or a foreign language, I think that developing a sense of absolute pitch is something that we can learn to do, at least to some degree. Some people are born with the ability, others, like myself, have to struggle with the learning process. It is so easy to grab a tuning fork or an electronic tuner and bypass the hard work.

To test this theory, hum an A 440 hertz tone in front of an electronic tuner. Now, in a quiet environment read several pages in a book or do some activity to distract your attention away from music. It is time to see if you can reproduce the A 440. How did you do? I was 20 cents sharp on the first try. Like anything else, I think that this can be learned with practice, but most of us, as hard as we might try, will never be as gifted as the person born with the ability.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i didn't read this whole thread. i was listening to npr today and heard about this perfect pitch survey. i thought you folks might like to know the link. here's the link.

http://perfectpitch.ucsf.edu/
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

So how do you synch the pitch of notes on a page to a pitch you can hum or sing or whistle or.... I've seen people pick up a musical score and start lilting the tune. How do you do that????

Inquiring minds, etc
djm

Post by djm »

fel wrote:So how do you
Just fake it, dude. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

fel bautista wrote:So how do you synch the pitch of notes on a page to a pitch you can hum or sing or whistle or.... I've seen people pick up a musical score and start lilting the tune. How do you do that????

Inquiring minds, etc
People with perfect pitch can read the notes just like you're reading the words on this page.

For most of us, when we see notes on a page, we just see them in relation to one another...this is a third above that, and so on. If we're good at it, we're said to be "good sight-readers." A good sight-reader can certainly pick up a score and hum or lilt the tune, especially if it's not particularly complicated...that doesn't require absolute pitch. In fact, choirs do it all the time...it's called a read through.

The difference is that, to a person with absolute pitch, the notes correspond exactly to the pitch they represent. If I look at a score, if I'm good at reading, I can start on any note that will allow the tune to fall within my vocal range and, by singing the intervals correctly, sing the tune. It probably won't be the tune as written...it may be higher or lower...but it will be recognizable. To the person with absolute pitch, however, that middle C will always be a middle C...it will never be a D or a B. They see that little dot on the staff, and the note pops into their heads, just like when you or I see the word "music," that word pops into our head. That's why it's hard for them if they have to transpose a tune without having the opportunity to write it out in the new key...it's like it would be for me to read this paragraph silently in English and simultaneously read it aloud in Irish.

Does that help?

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

fyffer wrote:I can always get a C by thinking of the Beatles "Let it Be". It's a *very* "C" tune. I can get any other note from there. I can usually also get a G or a D the same way, by remembering the opening of certain tunes (G: Bach's Little Fugue in G minor comes easily).

So what do you all think?
Am I just crazy?
Hmmm.

I tried starting "Let It Be" and checked the note. Spot on C, to my great surprize. You might not be crazy.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

mutepointe wrote:i didn't read this whole thread. i was listening to npr today and heard about this perfect pitch survey. i thought you folks might like to know the link. here's the link.

http://perfectpitch.ucsf.edu/
That survey test was fun, or at least interesting. Much to my non-surprise, I did not qualify to be a participant in the perfect pitch study :lol: . They broke the news to me gently though.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

fel bautista wrote:So how do you synch the pitch of notes on a page to a pitch you can hum or sing or whistle or.... I've seen people pick up a musical score and start lilting the tune. How do you do that????

Inquiring minds, etc
Sight singing is a skill. Just as easy for a trained singer, as sight reading (playing an unknown tune from dots) is for a trained musician. The instrument for sight singing is the voice.

Perfect pitch is not a requirement for sight singing, just training and repetition. Natural talent, of course helps singers, as it does for musicians. Some folks have to work a lot harder than others to reach a similar level of proficiency.
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

Gee and i thought perfect pitch was throwing your whistle at the guitar player, having it bounce off his head and spear the bodhran of the guy in the next seat.

Damn i have a lot to learn!
:twisted:
David
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
Cass

Post by Cass »

BillChin wrote:
Sight singing is a skill. Just as easy for a trained singer, as sight reading (playing an unknown tune from dots) is for a trained musician. The instrument for sight singing is the voice.
I had many years of singing lessons. And many exams. As part of an exam, you would be presented with an unknown piece of music, and have to sing it straight off, accompanied by a pianist. I'm good at sight singing, but I couldn't say that I've got perfect pitch...as I said before, I can sing a middle c straight away without thinking, but that's as far as it goes.

Cass.
Cass.

Time flies like an arrow....
....Fruit flies like a banana
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Darling Westerners (and others)
Which A is absolutely perfectly pitched
A415
A435
A440