Prehistoric 'Hobbit' Was Definitely New Species

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

missy wrote:
Lexxicos wrote:
The Neanderthals were not humans (in the Homo Sapiens sense), but rather another species that became extinct in Europe around 24000 years ago. They aren't really our ancestors, we didn't evolve from them. We in fact had already evolved when they existed.
Not up on "current" theories - but back when I took classes, it was acceptable to classify "us" as Homo sapien sapien, and the others as Homo sapien neanderthal. This was a "nod" to the possibility that the two could have interbred - i.e. they are subspecies of the same species.

That was 20 years ago, so current thinking may be totally different........
Well, it's not Homo sapien neanderthal, as far as I know. I was taught Homo neanderthalensis. But it is acknowledged that, while we are not directly descended from Neanderthal man, there was probably some interbreeding and what not. They are still considered a separate "branch" of the same evolutionary "tree," though. That is, both groups descended from Australopithecus, Neanderthal from one of the "robust" varieties, and Homo habilis (and eventually Homo sapiens) from one of the gracile. If I remember correctly. :lol:

Evolutionary biology = not my favorite subject. I'm sort of a cultural anthropology kind of dude.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Lexxicos
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Lexxicos »

The Weekenders wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Lexxicos wrote: The Neanderthals were not humans (in the Homo Sapiens sense), but rather another species that became extinct in Europe around 24000 years ago. They aren't really our ancestors, we didn't evolve from them. We in fact had already evolved when they existed.
I think Weeks meant H. sapiens' ancestral memory of their neighbors.

Just a guess.
Rigth-o. I heard the same theory about "trolls" in fairy tales, being same type o' memories.
Ah. My mistake. Sorry mate.
"Men are decieved if they think themselves free." - Benedict Spinoza

missy

Post by missy »

Congratulations wrote:
Evolutionary biology = not my favorite subject. I'm sort of a cultural anthropology kind of dude.
thanks - as I said, this was 20 years ago, and I'm sure the theory has modified since then.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Congratulations wrote: Evolutionary biology = not my favorite subject. I'm sort of a cultural anthropology kind of dude.
Evolutionary biology = so easy, even a caveman can do it... :P :D

“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Lexxicos

Post by Lexxicos »

You evolutionary supremacists are all alike...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zZrjr4A-ASQ

Feckin' bigots.

TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

The Weekenders wrote:The fact that pygmies still exist in Africa didn't seem to work into the discussion. I must be missing something here...
Uh, African "Pygmies" are not anything like the "hobbits" - they are smaller than other human populations but that is largely due to diet and the lifestyle they lead. They are not microencephalic like the "hobbit" fossil, they have normal-sized brains for their body size.

At any rate, the term "pygmy" refers to a whole plentitude of ethnicities across the globe, many of which are wholly unrelated and developed in independence from one another.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Congratulations

Lexxicos wrote:You evolutionary supremacists are all alike...

Feckin' bigots.
This one is totally the best:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9OihnFQj4ec& ... ed&search=

"I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa."

"And I don't have much of an appetite, thank you."

:lol:
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Congratulations wrote:
Lexxicos wrote:You evolutionary supremacists are all alike...

Feckin' bigots.
This one is totally the best:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9OihnFQj4ec& ... ed&search=

"I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa."

"And I don't have much of an appetite, thank you."

:lol:
I prefer this one:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iomlEcaeZgQ

"I'll put it on speaker." :lol:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I get such a kick out of those comercials... :lol:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

They sure beat the heck out of the old fat guy "I can't believe I lost another sale to Geico!!" ads!
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

crookedtune wrote:They sure beat the heck out of the old fat guy "I can't believe I lost another sale to Geico!!" ads!
That would be "I lost another loan to Dytech".
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Congratulations

Flyingcursor wrote:
crookedtune wrote:They sure beat the heck out of the old fat guy "I can't believe I lost another sale to Geico!!" ads!
Yeah, those commercials are terrible. That dude was on at least one episode of Arrested Development, though, which was fun.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Flyingcursor wrote:
Easy to mix 'em up, though; a cave man could've made the same mistake.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Lexxicos

Post by Lexxicos »

jsluder wrote:Easy to mix 'em up, though; a cave man could've made the same mistake.