Little Miss Sunshine

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Doug_Tipple wrote:My woman friend told me tonight that she wants to take the three grandkids to the see the movie with us, but I see that "Little Miss Sunshine" has an R rating (not sure why). For those who have seen the movie I am curious as to whether there is anything in the movie that wouldn't be appropriate for children. The children's ages are 5, 9, and 13.
F*** is uttered with great frequency, by several characters, one of whom makes numerous unsubtle references to sexual conquests. That's all I can say without giving something away. I think I would skip it for the 5 and 9 year olds.
BoneQuint
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Little Miss Sunshine

Post by BoneQuint »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:I recommend it. Highly.
Me too. It has a lot of heart and honesty, and might make you think about a few things (rare in most mainstream movies). And it's funny as hell, without being like a sitcom (full of setups and gags). Excellent, understated acting from all the main characters. It's great to see with a lot of folks in a theater, the place was roaring! The characters are presented "warts and all," if you don't like straightforward depictions of flawed people, it might make you uncomfortable.

Skip the reviews until after you see it -- that's what I usually do, they give too much away. Sometimes I'll peek at the first or last paragraph, those are usually safe.
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Doug_Tipple wrote:My woman friend told me tonight that she wants to take the three grandkids to the see the movie with us, but I see that "Little Miss Sunshine" has an R rating (not sure why). For those who have seen the movie I am curious as to whether there is anything in the movie that wouldn't be appropriate for children. The children's ages are 5, 9, and 13.
There seem to be a few movies playing now that might be a bit better suited for adult/child combos, for the reasons Em gave. The 13 year old... hmmm.....I don't even know about that. There might not be enough frame of reference for a 13 year old to enjoy most of the humor of the show.

I would opt for Barnyard the Original Party Animals, Monster House, or How to Eat Fried Worms, which look great and are playing now.

Anyway, my sons and I have lots of fun seeing those types of shows together, usually the adults in the audience seem to enjoy them as much or more than the kids. I recently saw Nacho Libre with my teenage sons and their friends, and only enjoyed it as much as I did (STUPID movie) because it was so obvious that they were having such a great time.

FWIW

M
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Little Miss Sunshine

Post by Doug_Tipple »

BoneQuint wrote:
Whistlin'Dixie wrote:I recommend it. Highly.
Me too. It has a lot of heart and honesty, and might make you think about a few things (rare in most mainstream movies). And it's funny as hell, without being like a sitcom (full of setups and gags). Excellent, understated acting from all the main characters. It's great to see with a lot of folks in a theater, the place was roaring! The characters are presented "warts and all," if you don't like straightforward depictions of flawed people, it might make you uncomfortable.

Skip the reviews until after you see it -- that's what I usually do, they give too much away. Sometimes I'll peek at the first or last paragraph, those are usually safe.
My friend and I saw "Little Miss Sunshine" this weekend. One of us laughed a little too hard and had to make an emergency trip to the bathroom right in the middle of the most dramatic part of the movie. Don't wait another day. Go see this movie.
carrie

Post by carrie »

I loved it too. I laughed really hard and also cried.

Carol
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Why couldn't I have watched this for my assignment??? It's so unfair.