What to do . . . what to do . . .

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

Peter Laban wrote:Porter cake
Sounds like beer bread.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Oh, crap!

I was reading down this thread and enjoying those nice maps I'd so craftily linked from the NHC website, and I got to the bottom and THERE IS AN "H" IN A CIRCLE RIGHT OVER MY HOUSE!!!!!!!

See that "Thursday 8 am" marker? That's me. [Edited on Monday to add "Not any more!!!!! Hahahahahah! I CAN LIVE! I CAN LIVE!"]

EEEEKEEKK! EEEKEKKK! EEEKKKKKKK!

Last edited by Lambchop on Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I thought you lived in Pinellas county? When did you move north east?

http://www.baynews9.com/Doppler9000.html .... click the Caribbean botton on the left for current radar imagery.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/watl/loop-vis.html
rh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:I thought you lived in Pinellas county? When did you move north east?
The storm track shifted since she posted. Now it appears headed toward Miami-Dade and areas north of there (IOW Tony, me, and i think a couple of others here). Intensity forecasts are literally up in the air -- anything from a TS to a Cat 3 is possible according to the latest advisory.
there is no end to the walking
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: What to do . . . what to do . . .

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Lambchop wrote:Pot roast comes out real tasty if you add some Guinness extra stout to it. It doesn't take the whole bottle, though.

I wonder what the rest of it might be good for . . . :-?

(No, I don't have a garden, so there are no slugs to kill.)
<a href=http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/meat ... amande.htm> Carbonade</a>. Another of Belgium's widely ignored contributions to world culture (and considerably better than techno music :P ).
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Peter Laban wrote:Porter cake
Porter Cake

Ingredients:
• 1 lb Flour
• 1/2 lb Shortening
• 1/2 lb Sugar
• 1 lb Sultanas
• 2 Eggs
• 1 Cup porter or stout
• 1 ts Baking powder
• 2 oz Chopped peel
• 1/2 ts Nutmeg
• 1/2 ts Mixed spice

Directions:

Sieve the flour salt and baking powder together; add sugar, nutmeg and spice. Rub in butter finely. Add fruit. Add porter mixed with beaten eggs.

Bake in a well-greased pan 2 1/2 hours in a moderate oven (350-375F).
Thanks, Peter!

Are the measurements for the first four ingredients by weight or by volume (1/2 pound = 8 oz. = 1 cup)?
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gonzo914 »

Lambchop wrote:
chas wrote:Geez, I've never tried putting Guinness (or any other brew) in my pot roast. What else do you put in, Lamby?

I always do a couple of bouillon cubes, onions (own yones) and mushrooms. Other stuff, like carrots and red wine optional. I guess the stout would be instead of the red wine.

Once the temp drops 30 degrees or so I'll give it a whirl.
If you're going to use Guiness, I'd let it replace the bouillion cubes and wine.

Let's see, this time I only used Guinness Extra Stout and Durkee Grill Creations St. Louis Style Smokey Mesquite seasoning (not too much). It's pretty good. They had a New Orleans style one with cocoa in it which was better, but I haven't been able to find any more of it.

Usually, though, I slice a large red onion (or, preferably, a Vidalia) and layer it on the bottom of a clay dutch oven, rub the roast with olive oil, salt, and pepper (or whatever seasoning), put it on the onion, then cover it with more onion. Mushrooms, carrots, and potatoes go in a bit later.

I do cook it with the lid on, so it bastes itself. It'll come out fork-tender and shreddy if you don't let the liquid cook off completely.
I do something similar, but I like to use 6 to 8 ounce cuts of top sirloin, which braises very nicely. Cut up a heap o onions (I'm with lambchop on the vidalias) and brown them with some butter until they carmelize and you have nice brown stuff on the bottom of the skillet. Remove the onions from the skillet and set aside. Dredge the steaks in seasoned flour (salt and pepper or whatever sounds good), and brown them in butter in the same skillet. Remove and set aside. Take a good swig out of a bottle of Guinness, the pour the rest in the skillet and deglaze that bad boy, then put the steaks back in the pan and spread the onions on top and simmer a spell until they're tender.

And since this thread also appears to be the official Ernesto hurricane thread, I have to ask the Florida folk -- Do you save the plywood from hurricane to hurricane, or do you buy fresh plywod for each one. We always see the news clips of people buying plywood, but I would think that by now, everyone would have some.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

If you REALLY have a little bit of Guinness, and you aren't going to drink it ...

I recommend making a slug trap.

Dig a hole in your garden flowerbed deep enough to take a jamjar.
Put the jamjar in the hole. Put the Guinness in the jamjar. Make sure there is an earth ramp or a stick of some kind to allow slugs access.
Leave it overnight. Or over the weekend, if you prefer. Then dig our the jamjar, which you a likely to find contains a number of soused slugs.

What you do with the slugs is between you and them.
Gardeners dispose of them thoughtfully.
Some Chiffandfipplers no doubt have recipes....
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
Some Chiffandfipplers no doubt have recipes....
ESCARGOT IN WINE

1 (4 oz.) slugs/snails
1/4 c. red wine
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/4 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 c. butter
2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
1 tsp. tarragon
2 tbsp. chives

Marinate slugs in wine and seasonings - at least 2-3 hours.
Place slugs in shells. Spoon in wine mixture. Marinate.

Press 1 teaspoon butter (softened) over opening of shell. (This seals in the escargot.)

Place in baking pan. Bake in 425 degree oven for 10-15 minutes until bubbly.

ESCARGOT STUFFED MUSHROOMS

24 oz. slugs
White wine
1/4 c. Panchetta, cooked & finely chopped
24 lg. mushrooms
2 sticks butter
2/3 c. chopped garlic
1/2 c. chopped parsley
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
Dash Worcestershire sauce
1/3 c. finely chopped almonds
2 tsp. white pepper

Simmer slugs in white wine for 30 seconds. Drain and set aside. Divide Panchetta among mushroom caps. Top with slugs. Combine remaining ingredients. Cover each slug with mixture. Bake at 500 degrees for 10 minutes. Serve with French bread slices.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
djm

Post by djm »

IB wrote:Put the Guinness in the jamjar.
Son of a silly person, slug traps are what American beer was made for. :really:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

gonzo914 wrote:And since this thread also appears to be the official Ernesto hurricane thread, I have to ask the Florida folk -- Do you save the plywood from hurricane to hurricane, or do you buy fresh plywod for each one. We always see the news clips of people buying plywood, but I would think that by now, everyone would have some.
Everyone who already has some still has it on their windows from last season.

Those people you see in stores are immigrants.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Lambchop wrote:
gonzo914 wrote:And since this thread also appears to be the official Ernesto hurricane thread, I have to ask the Florida folk -- Do you save the plywood from hurricane to hurricane, or do you buy fresh plywod for each one. We always see the news clips of people buying plywood, but I would think that by now, everyone would have some.
Everyone who already has some still has it on their windows from last season.

Those people you see in stores are immigrants.
Lambykins speaks the truth. Although, it really depends on whether or not last season's plywood is still lywood... and not soggy, laminated toothpicks.
chas

Post by chas »

djm wrote:
IB wrote:Put the Guinness in the jamjar.
Son of a silly person, slug traps are what American beer was made for. :really:
When we had a really serious slug problem in our garden, we were using so much that even BudMiloors was too expensive. I started just fermenting sugar water, which works just as well.

A recipe for the other braising fans:

1 lb cheap steak

1/2 lb mushrooms
1 large or 2 medium-small bell peppers

water, salt, and wine

trim the fat off the steak, mince it, and fry it in a heavy skillet
slice the steak thin (~5 mm-1/4")
take the sizzled fat out and brown the steak in the rendered fat
(the sizzled fat is a really good, albeit artery-hardening appetizer, salt it enough to send your blood pressure up a few points)
slice the mushrooms and saute them with the beef till they've given up most of their water
Cut the pepper into strips and add
add a half-cup or so of water and cook for awhile
A few minutes before serving, add a half-cup or so of wine, with a couple of tsp of cornstarch if you want your gravy thickened

Serve over noodles.

I think I'm gonna try this with stout or porter.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Cofaidh wrote:Lambchop, you're making me hungry.
*runs to the fridge*
Hey... hand me that cheese, would you?... want some of this nut-berry bread?.... mmmmmmmmm ... I wish Lamby had made a larger batch of pot roast... mmmm

hmmm now... Lamby, dear, ... where'd you stash the rest of that Guinness?
Last edited by anniemcu on Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

If you aren't going to drink the Guinness, use it for some bratwursts. I like to cook brats in some good beer before they hit the grill. Mmmmmmmm, good eatin