Let's hear it for geology

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

I do miss living by the ocean!

Susan
Caj

Re: Let's hear it for geology

Post by Caj »

SteveShaw wrote:Image

If the geology bores you, I can tell you that the house peeping out at top right is the location for the last series of "Nighty-night!" :D
You can't fool me with the bogus "house" explanation. Everyone knows you guys are breeding an army of enormous cats.

Caj
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Re: Let's hear it for geology

Post by Tyler »

Caj wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:Image

If the geology bores you, I can tell you that the house peeping out at top right is the location for the last series of "Nighty-night!" :D
You can't fool me with the bogus "house" explanation. Caj
Hey, the only bogus House around here is me! :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

If it's sonority you are after, Norn Iron's Eskers and Drumlins and the feature for you.

They are what makes "Bandit Country" exactly like a childs model farm on an eiderdown (or a counterpane, or a duvet).
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Organising the digital images on a new computer. Here's a few appropriate to this thread although I wouldn't be able to name what you see here. I do know (I was told) the formations closely match formations on the Canadian East coast so it is assumed they drifted across the Atlantic.

This is the south side of the mouth of the Shannon, just off Ballybunion. The Cliffs of Dooneen or thereabouts. Plenty of sea caves, full of seals and large groups of dolphins cruising about. The stack is the Devil's footstool, the formation behind it obviously the seat (I forget the name).

Last edited by Cayden on Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Give me about 2 1/2 months and I can show you a degree in geology. :P
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

TelegramSam wrote:Give me about 2 1/2 months and I can show you a degree in geology. :P
So you're pretty well grounded in the field? :lol:
djm

Post by djm »

DougT wrote:Now, back in Indiana, I collect granite rocks from the stream beds for my rock garden. I tell my neighbor that these rocks came from Canada.
PeterL wrote: the formations closely match formations on the Canadian East coast so it is assumed they drifted across the Atlantic.
We'll just have those back, now, if you don't mind. Thenk you.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

djm wrote:
DougT wrote:Now, back in Indiana, I collect granite rocks from the stream beds for my rock garden. I tell my neighbor that these rocks came from Canada.
PeterL wrote: the formations closely match formations on the Canadian East coast so it is assumed they drifted across the Atlantic.

djm
... I suppose now you'll be wanting all the boulders back that your wayward glaciers pushed down into Minnesota... you're welcome to them, as I am certain any Minnesotan farmer will tell you. :lol:
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
djm wrote:

djm
... I suppose now you'll be wanting all the boulders back that your wayward glaciers pushed down into Minnesota... you're welcome to them, as I am certain any Minnesotan farmer will tell you. :lol:
During the last continental glaciation Canada did not exist, therefore, Canada cannot substantiate a legal claim. I sure that there are lawyers who would disagree with that, however.

Joseph, are you feeling OK, or is it just getting close to St. Patricks day and you like to see your name in shamrock green?
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
Joseph, are you feeling OK, or is it just getting close to St. Patricks day and you like to see your name in shamrock green?
To the best of my knowledge, I'm OK. :D I just like to periodically go in and out of stealth mode. :lol:
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

True story:

My dad and his brother took a class at the local community college in geology (they were both "adult learners" when they took this course). I'm not even really sure why they took it, but anyway...

One day, my uncle stood up in class and said, "I have developed a new theory on geology I'd like to share with the class. I have discovered that all rocks can be placed in one of two categories: BFR's and LFR's."

"Oh really?" said the professor. "So what are BFR's and LFR's?".

My uncle replied, "Big F***ing Rocks and Little F***ing Rocks."

You know, I'm not sure if my uncle passed the class.......
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

DCrom wrote:
TelegramSam wrote:Give me about 2 1/2 months and I can show you a degree in geology. :P
So you're pretty well grounded in the field? :lol:
Rock solid, my friend, rock solid! :D
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

A pic I took today of Whale Rock on the beach at Bude in Cornwall. A lovely example of an anticlinal (upward) fold in Upper Carboniferous sedimentary rocks. There's a bloke about half way along it on the upper side to give scale. It's quite a famous site really (if you're a geologist... :wink: ).
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Beautiful, Steve! It looks quite a bit like a burned-out tree trunk. Next time put something in the picture so we can get the scale (a coffee mug? yourself? piece of money? ... )

Susan