Weird telephone mystery

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

fearfaoin wrote:Dale, have you tried calling the construction co. from line 1 to see if
line 2 rings, or if the company answers? That company's probably
wondering why noone ever calls...

When they switched off your second line, all they did was invoke a
software routine at the Central Office (which handles all the switching
in the area). This routine would cause the machines that route calls to
ignore your line. Seldom does the phone company physically
disconnect anything anymore. Obviously, there is a software problem
which has caused the switching computers to route your line the same
as the construction company's line. It's a bug, not a poltergeist...
There you go. Thanks. Yes, I called the number from my other line, got their answering machine and left a message.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well, there's a nice, exciting end to that story.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Cynth wrote:Well, there's a nice, exciting end to that story.
Stick with me, Cynth, and you'll always be showered with nice, exciting things.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Cynth, you are such an optimist!

Wait until the phone company finds out and tries to fix it...that's when it will get interesting.
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

You need to get out more mon petit bouldog :lol:
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Cynth

Post by Cynth »

There ain't nowhere to go, dude! Okay, we hit Des Moines last week-end. Yeehaw! And it's cold and brown and grey here. And it's not much better outside. A single ray of sunshine brings comments from one and all. So yeah, I am looking to this forum for excitement and leaving a message on an answering machine is NOT what I would call delivering. :lol:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

:lol: :lol:
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

My DSL connection was interrupted the earlier part of this week and I had many problems getting the phone convinced that my three computer systems were fine and the problem was on their end.

Well finally after 5 days of outage, someone from the phone showed up and tested the line found that something had burnt out at the phone company office and they had to replace it.

Also, I had a previous employer who lived 2 miles from his place of business and had it arranged with the phone company to ring at his house and office. If a person at each location picks up the phone, they can hear each other just like a house extension.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
missy

Post by missy »

Hey Daniel - do you still have "United" (Sprint) service out there?

Growing up, Mason, Kings, Lebanon and Morrow all had United Telephone. The "normal" phone was a 6 party line. We got a "private" line because my mom worked from home (and her boss pulled strings with United to get it). But since we lived on the county line, IF we had had neighbors across the street, that would have been long distance to call them. When I moved to Cincinnati, Mason could call Cincy free, but it cost for Cincy to call Mason. I would call out - let it ring 2 times, hang up and they'd call me back. I was also the "go between" for all the relatives and friends who had Cincinnati service. That finally changed in 1987!!!

Once our phone messed up and was worked on. Our number was XXX-1711. After being worked on, when anyone called a XXX - 71XX number, it rang our house first. My friend's number was XXX-7131, I called her and got a busy signal, hung up and our phone rang.
Another time, our phone was worked on, and it DIDN'T work for three weeks afterwards. Finally some supervisor or something came out, climbed the pole, and realized the first person had left the blockers on the line.
After the tornado hit our house, we left about 20ft of the phone line hanging off the house, coiled it up and hooked it to the edge of the roof (we had to reroof and reside the house). I was home when the phone company guy came (8 weeks later) to rerun our service. I could hear him walking the LENGTH of the attic repeated (the phone line was hanging at one end of the house - and there was no reason to be walking back and forth). I finally got up in the attic and asked him what he was doing. He ran a new line - from the OPPOSITE end of the house, and had it coming in right next to the electic line. I took him down and showed him the orignal line - he hadn't seen it.
The two lines would buzz and whap against each other in wind, etc. - Dad finally called and insisted they rewire BACK where the original one had been.

I bet you can't guess what company I do NOT have for cell phone service!!!! :D
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

DaleWisely wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:Hell, you could always just leave the line where it is and use it to make crank calls! :D
Don't think it didn't occur to me.
I know.
I respect you too much to put it past you! :P :P :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Having Sprint for a local phone company is not a good thing. And I don't have a cell phone, I don't plan on getting one either.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
brianc

Post by brianc »

Dale,
You could always call the construction company (on line 2, of course) and tell them they're all fired.

:wink:
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Dale, exact same thing happened to me. My sister, four years older than I, had a line put into her room when she was a teenager. When I left for college the line was 'disconnected' and was no longer on my parents bill. Ten years later I returned home, decided to try the jack and thought it was connected to my mother's line. Made all sorts of calls on it.

Lo and behold, it was someone else's line. The phone company straightened that out as soon as we let them know. But it was weird to answer the phone and have someone ask for 'John'. I replied there was no 'John' here....then John himself spoke up! We were all pretty stressed.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe