Anthropomorphing Instruments

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jbarter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jbarter »

None of my instruments are named but all of my hats are.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:My fiddle is the only instrument I own which I have named... and her name is Gwenn.
Wow. I had a car I named Gwendolyn. I wanted to name one of my daughters Gwendolyn but my first wife didn't like it so the car got it instead.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Mike Henry

Post by Mike Henry »

i 2nd Redwolf's post.

at times it seems that in order to be a complete person, i need to express myself through music: the instrument enables this expression. i think it's more than a tool - more than an extension of the hands.

although i haven't given my fiddle a name, i've been known to tell people it's like a brother.

haven't seriously considered naming my pipes.

On the fiddle (but not the pipes, yet) i'm more able to let go and create meaningful sound. haven't reached this stage on the pipes - still very much learning basics - this may be the reason for seeming "closer" to the fiddle.
djm

Post by djm »

I am visually oriented, and find no value in naming things. Even my cat has no name. I know what things look like and sound like. A human name adds no value to these for me.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

My uilleann practice set is named Saoirse - roughly pronounced sayr-sha. Just sounds like my bellows breathing.

BTW, the harp in Mike's avatar was named Arwyn. Nice avatar Mike :)
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

jbarter wrote:None of my instruments are named but all of my hats are.
But you don't own a ushanka yet? I have a name for my Ushanka. It's called, "Where did I put my friggin furry hat?"
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

Chiffed wrote:OK, I'll bite.

My silver baritone saxophone (ybs 62s) is named Barry. After my father.
OMG! I'm so jealous!
I've always wanted a bari sax, but I'll probably never be able to afford one.

Please post a picture so I can drool into a pool of my own pathetic tears of self pity ....
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

My first guitar which I bought (OK, my mom bought it for me) in 9th grade, I named Doreen. To this day, my wife still recalls that Doreen was (and is?) her only competition for my affection.
:)
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I haven't felt inclined to name any of my instruments, but I always have named my car. My theory is that if you are on a personal relationship with your car and say a few kind words of appreciation now and then, it will cooperate with you in unexpected ways. This past summer I drove my old Buick on a two thousand mile trip. Shortly after I returned, I was driving to the bank (about a half mile from my house) when I heard an engine noise. Immediately, after hearing the noise, I had no power steering, and I could barely turn the steering wheel. Luckily (or was it luck?) I was in the bank parking lot and was able to park immediately in front of a pay phone. Looking out my rear view mirrow, I could see the broken parts of my car scattered in the parking lot. I quickly called the tow truck and my favorite garage, and they worked me in later that afternoon. In my long monologues with my car (her name is secret) I have requested that breakdowns occur in opportune places, not on some lonely stretch of the highway in the middle of the night.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Doug_Tipple wrote:I haven't felt inclined to name any of my instruments, but I always have named my car. My theory is that if you are on a personal relationship with your car and say a few kind words of appreciation now and then, it will cooperate with you in unexpected ways. This past summer I drove my old Buick on a two thousand mile trip. Shortly after I returned, I was driving to the bank (about a half mile from my house) when I heard an engine noise. Immediately, after hearing the noise, I had no power steering, and I could barely turn the steering wheel. Luckily (or was it luck?) I was in the bank parking lot and was able to park immediately in front of a pay phone. Looking out my rear view mirrow, I could see the broken parts of my car scattered in the parking lot. I quickly called the tow truck and my favorite garage, and they worked me in later that afternoon. In my long monologues with my car (her name is secret) I have requested that breakdowns occur in opportune places, not on some lonely stretch of the highway in the middle of the night.

emmm....ok..... :o
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I've never managed to name any inanimate object, though I've been tempted to try by the example of B.B. King's Lucille, and by a sci-fi character who named his dagger Lady Macbeth.

Still, my house is full of nameless musical instruments and daggers. I don't seem to see any human or animal characteristics (including sexual identity) in them. I'm sure it's just due to a lack of imagination.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

I don't have special names for my instruments either. I feel them as extensions of me - part of me. Like I don't have a name for my mouth, arms or penis for that matter. :o
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

johnson?
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

talasiga wrote:I don't have special names for my instruments either. I feel them as extensions of me - part of me. Like I don't have a name for my mouth, arms or penis for that matter. :o
On the other hand, there is a time honoured tradition of istramorphising parts of our bodies. (now, if only i could find a transcript of Roy and HG's sketch concerning the bedflute, fishing tackle and a cieling fan ...)
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com