Great Moments in Job Satisfaction

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Wormdiet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wormdiet »

A student I taught several years ago remembers me primarily as "awkward." That produced warm fuzzies, let me tell you.

On the most recent test for one of my classes, one of the questions was

"Write a thesis statement in response to the following question. Your response need not be factually correct as long as it follows proper format."

I had several students who didn't even attempt to answer. How much easier can it get?
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

Wormdiet wrote:On the most recent test for one of my classes, one of the questions was

"Write a thesis statement in response to the following question. Your response need not be factually correct as long as it follows proper format."

I had several students who didn't even attempt to answer. How much easier can it get?
That reminds me of a story that bears no pertinence to the conversation.

When I took AP US History junior year, every day we would come in, and there would be an essay prompt on the board for which we were supposed to write a thesis. If you hadn't done the reading, you were screwed. And then, after a few minutes, the teacher would call randomly on a few of us to read ours aloud. Nerve-wracking to say the least, but it prepared us a little for an AP test that was even more nerve-wracking.

Well, when the teacher was telling us how to write a good thesis, she told us that a good way to start is with the word, "Although," so that we would have to acknowledge discepancies and/or exceptions in our argument. Wonderful technique that helped a lot of the class. One day, a particularly lazy member of the crowd had obviously not done the reading, had no idea what the prompt was about, and thus didn't bother to write the thesis. When (of course) the teacher called on him to read, he picked up a blank sheet of paper, dramatically cleared his throat, and spoke in an authoritative voice:

"ALTHOUGH."

It was both funny and very sad all at once. I don't think he passed the AP exam.

I made a 4 out of 5, and am now enjoying six hours of college credit because of it! :)
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

Darwin wrote:I've received a good number of emails from people telling me how they can't run their business--or even live--without my softward. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I also get the occasional email telling me that my software is a piece of crap--and too expensive, to boot. :cry:
My father used to go through the same scenario. It's like handmade
whistles: sometimes it's worth it not to go with a cheaper off-the-shelf
solution.

He made schedulers for school systems, so some bureaucrat would
always come along eventually and drop his contract in favor of a
cheaper solution, and a year later, they'd always come crawling back...