'you didn't tell me your dog was a Catholic!'

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

Cranberry wrote:wrinkled up elderly white ladies named Sister Margaret.

:really:
Cotelette d'Agneau
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

'twas the Nuns that made me what I am.

I'm not saying that it is good or bad, but it 'twas down to them.

I remember them well...

Bless them all.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

dubhlinn wrote:I'm not saying that it is good or bad
And herein you just have. *hugs*

It's never too late to heal.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Six months ago I took a job in a Catholic hospital. The nuns don't do the day-to-day running of the place any more but they make policy and sit on the board. On my first day I was surprised to be sent back 35 years to my youth as a "good Irish Catholic boy". While walking to the Human Resources office for my interview, every corner I rounded revealed another life-sized statue of the BVM, St Joseph, the Sacred Heart of Jesus or St Vincent de Paul after whom the hospital is named. Now, after six months of walking past them every day, I don't exactly ignore them but they don't make me jump back any more.

All the nuns at St Vincent's are stealth nuns. The only way you can tell they're nuns is that they are over 50, female and some of them wear a tasteful cross as a necklace. They seem OK, but my 13 years of Catholic education forces me to keep my distance - at least the distance of a yard stick.
Mike
Denny

Post by Denny »

burnsbyrne wrote:They seem OK, but my 13 years of Catholic education forces me to keep my distance - at least the distance of a yard stick.
Mike
The early lessons stick with you, don't they! :wink:
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

St Vincent de Paul
I can never hear/read this name without immediately thinking of the St Vincent de Paul's Society as portrayed in Frank McCourt's "Angela's Ashes."
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

cowtime wrote:
St Vincent de Paul
I can never hear/read this name without immediately thinking of the St Vincent de Paul's Society as portrayed in Frank McCourt's "Angela's Ashes."
The charitable organization that provides food, clothing, and housing for the poor and homeless?
Cotelette d'Agneau
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Lambchop wrote:
cowtime wrote:
St Vincent de Paul
The charitable organization that provides food, clothing, and housing for the poor and homeless?
One and the same :wink:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

dubhlinn wrote:
Lambchop wrote:
cowtime wrote: I can never hear/read this name without immediately thinking of the St Vincent de Paul's Society as portrayed in Frank McCourt's "Angela's Ashes."
One and the same :wink:

Slan,
D.
Yup, he's the one. I heard a lot about the SVdP society when I was a kid but now not so much, but I have seen their office here in Cleveland a few times recently.
Mike
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Cranberry wrote:For some reason up until that point, it never crossed my mind that all nuns weren't wrinkled up elderly white ladies named Sister Margaret.
That's because, up to that point, you were bigoted, like a lot of people. Cruel nuns certainly have existed and do exist, but they come in all sizes, shapes, colors, ethnic backgrounds, intellectual backgrounds, and personalities. And, so many nuns do so much incredible work, virtually all of it charitable and, they remain low-key and out of the spotlight. And, as a group, they aren't treated particularly well by the Catholic hierarchy, Catholic laypeople, or society at large.

That would be my opinion.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

In my experience, St.Vinnies are the best people to deal with if you want to donate old clothes, furniture or other things for sale to help the poor. I'm not saying they are the most efficient; I wouldn't have a clue about that. I'm saying they were the only charity to talk to me after my mother died and I was charged with disposing of her possessions without giving the impression that be deigning to take what I had to offer they were doing me the favour. Others told me in no uncertain terms what they didn't want but in a way that made me feel as though I was somehow proposing to use them as a free garbage disposal service. St. Vinnies managed to communicate what they did and didn't want while making it clear that they appreciated my gesture. Since I was giving away things like beds and washing machines as well as very well kept clothes, I thought the other charities' attitude astonishing.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

It is OK to kiss a nun, just do not get into the habit.

Oops, wrong thread.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

DaleWisely wrote:
Cranberry wrote:For some reason up until that point, it never crossed my mind that all nuns weren't wrinkled up elderly white ladies named Sister Margaret.
That's because, up to that point, you were bigoted, like a lot of people. Cruel nuns certainly have existed and do exist, but they come in all sizes, shapes, colors, ethnic backgrounds, intellectual backgrounds, and personalities. And, so many nuns do so much incredible work, virtually all of it charitable and, they remain low-key and out of the spotlight. And, as a group, they aren't treated particularly well by the Catholic hierarchy, Catholic laypeople, or society at large.

For three summers during high school I worked at a Catholic boy's camp. The kitchen and a few other things were run by a group of nuns. Back then no one even thought about nuns dressing in street clothes. If I had thought about it, which I didn't, I would have thought that they slept in the habits too. One summer one of the nuns was new. She was no more than 22 yrs old, very pretty and with a great personality also. I remember that she liked Frank Sinatra's "Strangers in the Night" which was a big hit that summer. I don't remember her name and I don't know what happened to her but she wasn't at the camp the next year.

Just trying to give Cranberry a different image of nuns to think about.
Mike
Jack

Post by Jack »

burnsbyrne wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:

For three summers during high school I worked at a Catholic boy's camp. The kitchen and a few other things were run by a group of nuns. Back then no one even thought about nuns dressing in street clothes. If I had thought about it, which I didn't, I would have thought that they slept in the habits too. One summer one of the nuns was new. She was no more than 22 yrs old, very pretty and with a great personality also. I remember that she liked Frank Sinatra's "Strangers in the Night" which was a big hit that summer. I don't remember her name and I don't know what happened to her but she wasn't at the camp the next year.

Just trying to give Cranberry a different image of nuns to think about.
Mike
Heheh...thanks. I already have a different image from the nun with the shelter I stayed at. I remember her name but it's difficult to spell so I won't even try. But she was super.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: 'you didn't tell me your dog was a Catholic!'

Post by anniemcu »

Miwokhill wrote:So these 2 nuns were on a road trip through Europe and they were on their way south to Rome when they passed a sign that said Transylvania and one of the nuns said 'oh Transylvania, let's go have a look' so they turned down the road and were soon deep in the forest. Suddenly a vampire jumped out from behind a tree and leapt onto the hood of their car and clung to the windshield, complete with cape and appropriate vampire noises. The nuns were understandably startled and turned to each other in fear. 'What are we to do?' said one of the nuns to the other. The second nun replied 'Quick, turn on the windshield wipers and washer, that sould get him off.' This the other nun did but to no avail. 'Now what?' she said. 'Try splashing Holy Water on him' The nun got out some Holy Water and splashed it out the window onto the vampire but still he hung onto the window looking more scary than ever. 'What will we do?' the first nun exclaimed! 'Show him your cross' said the other nun. The first nun pulls to a stop, gets out and says to the vampire 'Get the **** off my car!!'
Gee... was it warm enough to make them hot cross nuns?
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com