Help me with a test.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
turtleneck
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by turtleneck »

Firefox 1.0.6 cuts off a bit of the right hand side, but you can still move the slider bar over it.

Of course the forums have the same problem in that the browser allocates just enough width for the messages, but doesnt include the space for the little avatars on the left hand side. As a result, the page is always just a little too big for the window.
djm

Post by djm »

Works fine in Netscape 8.0.3.3 on Win XP.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

Dale,

It's an issue of what screen resolution the viewer has his/her monitor set at. Both Internet Explorer and Firefox will render the page correctly on a monitor set at 1024X768 and higher. Likewise both browsers will "cut off" the right side if they are set at 800X600 or below.

While your text content seems to be no wider than about 700 pixels, the background of the page is wider and so, when the page loads in a monitor at 800X600 and below, it loads in default mode (left justified) and consequentally some of the right side is out of view.

I don't know how the underlying CSS (Cascading Style Sheet) is set up but, this should be easy to fix so it renders correctly in either resolution.
Paul Thomas

Post by Paul Thomas »

Possibly three things going on. DPI, total rendered page width, & one CSS container set to 900px wide.

Fine for me in FF 1.06 w/monitor set at 1024, DPI set at 96 (normal) and font size set at normal. CSS behaves nicely w/font size changes, so that shouldn't do it. I think it's reasonable to think that folks different DPI settings could account for some of the different results.

However, using the marvelous FF Web Developer tool (get it, it will save you untold hours troubleshooting), I can see that the sum total of the page width = 1032, even though the horiz. scroll hasn't kicked in for me. Somethin' ain't addin' up right cuz.

Like peteinmn indicates, the CSS dictates a container width of 900px (#page in your CSS), that would definitely expand beyond the standard 800px typical min, not in-and-of-itself a problem unless your viewer has a 800px wide screen.

I'd look deeper into the CSS, but it's deep indeed & can't get to it just now.

Behavior for me is exactly the same in IE and in FF, with the exeception that in IE the horizontal lines in the RH column are wonky, to say the least.