An immodest proposal. . . .

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jGilder
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jGilder »

Wormdiet wrote:Jack - does C & F have a prefabbed database accessible by something more sophisticated than the generic search function? I think that's a good idea. I see the actual articles as more of a "This is what the issue is" response than a "This is what the answer is" type of response.
Exactly! To set it up, someone would have to research each topic initially using the search feature, and then it would need to be updated if any pertinent topics come up. This would be a project that might be delegated to people (more than one person) who are participating in the forum of interest.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

jGilder wrote:
Wormdiet wrote:Jack - does C & F have a prefabbed database accessible by something more sophisticated than the generic search function? I think that's a good idea. I see the actual articles as more of a "This is what the issue is" response than a "This is what the answer is" type of response.
Exactly! To set it up, someone would have to research each topic initially using the search feature, and then it would need to be updated if any pertinent topics come up. This would be a project that might be delegated to people (more than one person) who are participating in the forum of interest.
I think the way to work it would be to post initial drafts of the FAQ, and then follow-up thread in which those interested could point out relevant prior discussions. COuld be an ongoing thing.

The other thing to do is not reinvent the wheel - there are some good flute sites out there (Brad's, Peter Laban's tune sight, the geezer site, etc.) that would work well as exterior resources.

EDIT:
Other stuff to be covered:
- How do I oil a flute?
- What are the extra two holes for?
- I saw this great deal on Ebay for a beautiful flute. It's made by Pakistani traditional craftsmen. . .
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

Wormdiet wrote: EDIT:
Other stuff to be covered:
- How do I oil a flute?
Follow the maker’s advice.
- What are the extra two holes for?
They hold your cigarette between sets.
- I saw this great deal on Ebay for a beautiful flute. It's made by Pakistani traditional craftsmen. . .
They make good lamps.

Actually here is one for the vent holes
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ccolo+fife

I often thought it would be easier to set up pages that could be edited like the Wikipedia web pages. A FAQ thread would get bogged down.

Heck, a link to wikipedia with such information would be cool. Someone could always make a wiki book.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Anybody remember the whistle annex? DazedinLA did that I think, wonder if that's still up somewhere. It collected threads topically for easy reference.
/Bloomfield
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Bloomfield wrote:Anybody remember the whistle annex? DazedinLA did that I think, wonder if that's still up somewhere. It collected threads topically for easy reference.
The Whistle Annex

I may be mistaken, but I don't think it's been updated in a while.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Will O'B wrote:OK, Bloo . . . I said a show of HANDS.

I don't know if Robert's Rules of Order recognizes that particular finger. :o

Will O'Ban
Ewww. :oops: :lol:

Robin
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

This is a great idea, Wormy. Thanks for suggesting it.

On another board, I put FAQ information in stickies at the top of the forum. That way, they float at the top. People see them right off. The moderator can lock the thread so that it doesn't get glommed up with comments and replies.

The EBay-Pakistani flute issue is one I think deserves a sticky thread of its own. People thinking about buying a flute like that are going to be excited about having found one, in a hurry thinking they need to bid, and won't necessarily think to read a FAQ for an answer to that particular question. I think the thread title of "Should I buy EBay flute made by Pakistani traditional craftsmen" is the exact thing to call it, too.

I'd be happy to volunteer to work up the section on oiling flutes. Oils and waxes fascinate me, so it's something I think I could manage, even given my pathetic and undesirable newb status and now-apparent irritant nature.

Best of all, it's a concrete subject, so it's unlikely that I would offend anyone by pretending innocence or misunderstanding in order to get attention.
Cotelette d'Agneau