Polluting/spamming the forums

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Isn't this why the pub split off from the whistle forum? So those who are constantly getting their knickers in a twist over the nonsense won't have to read it?

I think you're asking for the impossible, Murphy Stout.
An internet forum is a dynamic thing. You can't say "I want Frodo, Bilbo, Merry, and Pippin to keep posting the same kinds of things about whistles, and the rest of you" (and I appreciate the discretion you've shown thus far in not naming names) "can go soak your heads."
Actually, you can say that if you want to, but it's not going to happen.

You sound a lot like the (young) grumpy old geezer sitting on the barstool of a burgeoning town grumbling in his stout about how they never should'a let all these new people move in.

Surely you, as a Serious Musician, have actual live sessions and hangouts where you needn't mingle with those of a lower musical caste.
Same goes for you Peter. (Looking for Bloomie to appear via deus ex machina and rap my knuckles.) I respect your knowledge of ITM, your comments, if taken at face value, are on target, and I enjoy your thoughtful descriptions of life in your world. But I don't get the frequent grousing, especially when there's no humor attached.

Whether or not I'm qualified (in your view) to say this, I get tired of the political rantings and excesses, too.
But you can't pick who will post, what they'll post, and when they'll post it.
This forum is an amorphous blob of fruit-laden jello. Sometimes you get a blueberry and you love it. Sometimes you get a maraschino cherry and you hate it. Often you just have to wade through all the lime-flavored green goo for a while.
Last edited by emmline on Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Martin Milner wrote:...my musical interests have developed in different directions (fiddle), not covered by this board. When I have a specific question about ITM, the ITM board is a good resource.

I still visit almost daily because I've made good friends here. Oh, and a couple of good enemies. :twisted:
Well said MarMil. MS was right to hold you up as a good example. You have stated my case as well, almost exactly.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

emmline wrote: You sound a lot like the (young) grumpy old geezer sitting on the barstool of a burgeoning town grumbling in his stout about how they never should'a let all these new people move in.
I wasn't aware we had ever met.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

FlyingC wrote:this medium is BAAAD for real communication.
Well, I don't any ITM tune that follows a BAAAD format. Why should the pub adhere to one either? :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Re: Polluting/spamming the forums

Post by Tyler »

MurphyStout wrote: There is alot of pollution and spam on the forums these days. No I'm not talking about actual spam but seemingly thoughtless meaningless posts. And I'm also talking about people who feel the need to start a new thread a few times a day and those that feel the need to assualt the rest of us with their religion and politics.
You're right; there is a lot of drivel here that is not music related...that's why it's the pub.
I seem to recall a few years ago that I knew everybody on the forums who posted somewhat regularly. I could even tell you want instruments they played. And they (most) even had original and meaningful thoughts from time to time. Now it seems that there are a SHYTELOAD of people who've recently joined within a year or two who post meaningless thoughts constantly. Many of which, I'm not even sure play a freaking instrument!!!!
I play the piano, synthisizers, guitar (electric and acoustic), bass guitar, upright bass, mandolin, harmonica, NA flute, tin whistle...and I can usually become proficient in anything I pick up within a matter of months.
What should I add next Murph?
Frankly, most of the posts by these posters nowadays bore the p#ss out of me.
Then don't read them.

I really don't like this recent trend and a few regulars have also shared (some of) my sentiments. So I have a few modest freaking proposals!

1. Think quality over quantity. It's like my gramps always said. If you don't have something smart (or original) to say, don't say it. Or your could use the rule of three (post just 1 out of three that you would normally post [some of you should use the rule of ten!])
Congrats on your new position as quality moderator for C&F :D

2. Practise your freaking instrument rather than wasting your time all day reading and writing on the forums!!!
which one should I practice right now? :D
So you can actually say you can play the damn things instead of saying you collect them.
I play and collect, and a hellova lot more than just tinwhistles.

3. Jack Gilder- you know I love you man but jaysus. I read the news everyday (not the corperate meda ;)) before I check out the forums so I would really prefer if I didn't have to cover the same material twice. And even though I agree with everything you say, (maybe not the way you say it) I would prefer if you said it alot less; with less polls and less threads. Now that doesn't mean when the weekenders or some other correct wing thinker says something stupid you can't correct him... just don't go out of your way to start a bunch of new oppurtunities to correct him. You'll find that there are many other interesting things on the forums to talk about besides politics (like flutes or flute recordings).
Hmmm, there are a lot of other people you could have singled out besides Jack...frankly I like Jack's posts (most of the time anyways :P ).

4. Practise the tin whistle some more!!!
you mean aside from my other instruments too?
And if your at work listen to some good recordings!! if you don't have any look here http://www.rogermillington.com/tunetoc/index.html and here http://www.lafferty.ca/music/irish/flute-geezers/
I really would, but they frown on having music where I work from 4am to 1pm (my posting time)
5. Be more like Martin Milner.
as cool as he is, it would be an awfully boring world... :P
6. I request that my friends like Azalin, Eldarion, StevieJ and cskinner and folks like that posted more as well as the old crew who used to hang out and post here. (I was happy to see the return of TeriK!)
ya hear that guys? come on out, wherever you are!
:D
7. Pick a few more fights (civil ones) and say stuff that's more contriversal (except you Jack).
picking fights is what kids do in high school, getting into a few friendly arguments is what we do here from time to time.

8. And finally, If you joined in 2004 and have over 1000 posts I suggest that you might have a time management problem and may want to rethink a few things.
I am a registered member of the forums at www.mandolincafe.com and www.britishcarforum.com and www.britishmotorclub.com....I come here because the people are far more interesting and talkative.

I joined in 2005...do I have a time management problem? Let me outline my day for you kid.... I wake up at 3:30am to arrive at my first job before 5am where I sit and monitor the activities of my employees. That can be pretty damn boring, so I talk with my friends here. I also find time to read about 150 pages, give or take, during this shift in between posting and monitoring...which in itself is a miracle for me; I overcame severe dyslexia at a young age, and still fight with it on some days (which is why sometimes i cant spell worth a damn on the forum, the only way I can type at all is the fact that I have memorized the keyboard). Now I read an average of 500wpm. That took a lot of time to achieve, let me tell you.
After I get done with this job, it's straight over to the garage where I work as an automotive repair mechanic (which is why I don't post in the afternoon/evening) I'm there for around eight or nine more hours a day (thats where I have one or two hours a day to work on my Mini that I'm so fond of bragging about :P ), then it's off to my humble home where I spend a few precious minuets with my wife and daughter.
On the weekends I work with individuals with disabilities, and every other Saturday night I DJ dances for individuals with disabilities.
On top of all that, I run my photography business, I do work for several PIs, and I run my own european auto aquisition and sales business....
Oh, did I mention that I have my batchelors degree in Criminal Jusitce/Investigations with a minor in Behavioral Psychology, and I'm working on my second degree in Liberal Arts and completing my ASE certification?
I also find time once a month to participate in my Masonic activities and service projects.

Between the two of us, Murph, which one of us has the time management problem?

I don't normally toot my own horn about the things I'm involved in (in fact, the fact that I'm a Mason will probably shock the hell outta some folks here :twisted: ), because it's nobody's damn business but my own what I'm involved in and I dont have time to care about who knows or who cares, but if you're going to throw the glove down you can reasonably expect that someone will pick it up.
If you don't know better the people on the board now, it's your own damn fault for not being more neighborly. :P

Everyone here can surely understand that you have your fair right to express your opinion about the state of the board....
this is simply my opinion about what you've tried to express.
I feel that I should say that this is a very nice place and I like most of the people on it and I love just about everyone I've met in person. I just wish that the pollution and spamming would stop.

I decided not to name names of the people who bore me to death but I could be convinced if prevoked :devil:
Quite frankly, I don't care if I am one of the ones who bores you to death. I don't give one red barrell of cat sphincters on their way to the purfume factory what you think of my posts. If you don't like them, don't bloody read them.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Argh! A thread that I 80% agree with, but don't think should be posted! What's a Cat to do?

Murph, I agree that there are a lot of posters now who aren't worth the reading, and happily I can ignore every thread they start and most of the threads that they join. But they do have the right to post as much and as foolishly as they want.

Their presence on the board has given me the impetus to spend more time practicing, and even more time on other hobbies, so there is some good that comes of it. I don't know if I'm on any of your lists...but I could probably say that every one of us 'old timers' who have taken sabbaticals from the board have truly benefitted from the experience and have a far more laid back attitude when the sillies erupt, or the politics roil, or the christian proselytizing spouts.

On another board I'm on through Yahoo there is an associated board of 'insiders'....call them hobbyists and hobbyist-flamers. The sole purpose of the second board is to post scathing remarks about the first. No holds barred. Thin-skinned need not apply. It actually works quite well. The insiders reply to intelligent posts on the general purpose board, and use the rest as fodder. Its mean, its fun, its harmless as the people who are chewed up and spat out don't tend to join, and if they do, they don't hang around long. I don't post there....but I do read it to vent and say 'Yeah! Right!'

Meanwhile, the Pub is the Pub....it is as Poststructural as they get, and I spend a lot less time posting and reading than I did before.

Sincerely,
(old and grizzled) Tyg
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Jack, you absolutely slay me. There does seem to be a lot of blather to wade through on the board these days (and I've added to it, I'm afraid), but maybe it's in a cycle (wash? rinse? spin?). I actually have been practicing a little bit in between doing nothing...I'm afraid things are very slow at work for me so I have alot of time to spend reading newspapers online and posting stuff. I'll try to become higher quality!

Susan

*big hug for Jack, because I like him a lot
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I nominate the following for best ... um... I don't know what category it would be, but it's the best in it. Category suggestions anyone?
emmline wrote:This forum is an amorphous blob of fruit-laden jello. Sometimes you get a blueberry and you love it. Sometimes you get a maraschino cherry and you hate it. Often you just have to wade through all the lime-flavored green goo for a while.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Tyler Morris wrote:....stuff...
Type A personality? Warning Heart Attack alert!!!!! Ulcer Alert!!!! :boggle:
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Flyingcursor wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:....stuff...
Type A personality? Warning Heart Attack alert!!!!! Ulcer Alert!!!! :boggle:
I'm actually a really laid-back kinda guy, but mostly because I've found ways to make money doing things I love to do...
if I did all the "stuff" I hate 24-7, you bet I'd have a breakdown somewhwere :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
mukade

Post by mukade »

chas wrote:
One thing I don't get is why people join the C&F, which is nominally a whistle/flute/ITM board, and then post almost exclusively to the pub, stuff totally unrelated to music. Why join a music community and then never discuss music?
I think the key word is ‘community.’ We are human, at least most of us are, and we like to communicate. What was originally created as a whistle board developed into a larger community as people got to know each other. Most other message boards on the 'net are the same. I urge anyone with complaints to read selectively and avoid the Pub if you are averse to chit chat.

Besides, I think anyone who wants to talk about whistles all day needs to be slapped with a slappy salmon. :)

Mukade

edited to correct the quote
Last edited by mukade on Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

Well, thank you, Jack, for allowing my nose to enjoy the morning cup of coffee.

Some may not like or agree with what you had to say -
Some may like and agree with what you said, but not how you said it -
Some may like and agree with what you said, and how you said it -

You just can't please them all

All I can offer up is that you stated publicly what I've heard from many people privately

Tyg, I've been mulling over your comments about "'old timers' who have taken sabbaticals". You know, I honestly can't say if that's true for me. The best I can come up with is that the jury's still out. But, I do appreciate Jack's feelings about my return.
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

mukade wrote:
chas wrote:
MurphyStout wrote:
One thing I don't get is why people join the C&F, which is nominally a whistle/flute/ITM board, and then post almost exclusively to the pub, stuff totally unrelated to music. Why join a music community and then never discuss music?
I think the key word is ‘community.’ We are human, at least most of us are, and we like to communicate. What was originally created as a whistle board developed into a larger community as people got to know each other. Most other message boards on the 'net are the same. I urge anyone with complaints to read selectively and avoid the Pub if you are averse to chit chat.

Besides, I think anyone who wants to talk about whistles all day needs to be slapped with a slappy salmon. :)

Mukade
Well said...

p.s. make that salmon with holandaise sauce and you gotcher self a deal! :P
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Ummm, I kind of like maraschino cherries.

Is that bad?
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

FJohnSharp wrote:Ummm, I kind of like maraschino cherries.

Is that bad?
'course not!

pssst.....if you don't tell anyone, I'll slip one into yer martini instead of the olive...