Is my obsession with Minis too much?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Is my obsession a little much????

Yes
41%
No
24%
Only for someone as tall as you, Tyler!
12%
You have an unhealthy lifestyle!
No votes
I admit that I'm a little obsessed too...
12%
British cars rule, of course not!
12%

Total votes: 17

Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

A handbag is merely something used to carry lipstick and wallet from point A to point B.
/Bloomfield
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

and it's not just guys. Drive past me in a 50's or 60's muscle car, and I'll be looking to see:
*what shape is it in
*is it stock or tricked out
*if it's not stock, what engine does it have in it, etc.

For some bizarre reason, all the drug dealers in the area are driving late 60, early 70 GMs (usually Monte Carlos or Cutlesses) that are restored, and then they put these HUGE 20" spinner rims on them. They look like crap - but all I have to do is see the tail lights and I can tell you the make and year of the car with NO problem.

My oldest promised me when he was 6 years old that as soon as he made enough money, he would buy me a '63 hard top/convertible 'Vette. :D

Oh - and we went to the demolition derby last night. Two of Nate's friends (identical twins) entered in a 1982 Buick station wagon. He didn't do too well - got bookended and had his radiator popped, and the car the hit him in the front got hung on his.
But they had a blast getting the car ready and doing it!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Teri-K wrote: Men rubber neck, wink at me and give evil little grins when I drive by. My appearance hasn't changed a bit, but suddenly I'm someone to flirt with. Strange thing this men and cars!
"Manly, yes--but I like ['em] too." I could natter on about superior ride and handling, but....well, the phenomenon you describe is not limited entirely to males. A sports car--especially a convertible--is a fabulous accessory for a woman, and unlike expensive cosmetics, doesn't harm the skin. :wink: I sure do miss driving along A1A in Fort Lauderdale in my RX-7 ragtop.

We'll just ignore the handbag remark, shall we?
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

scottielvr wrote:We'll just ignore the handbag remark, shall we?
Well, I doubt you'll get many guys saying, "It's not just a girl thing." :lol:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

scottielvr wrote:We'll just ignore the handbag remark, shall we?
What handbag remark? :wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

Bloomfield wrote:A handbag is merely something used to carry lipstick and wallet from point A to point B.
And ladies, remember that shoes are merely for walking from point A to point B. :D
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

peteinmn wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:A handbag is merely something used to carry lipstick and wallet from point A to point B.
And ladies, remember that shoes are merely for walking from point A to point B. :D
Yes, very cute both of you :P But, I'm waiting for an answer. Why the almost sexual attraction to cars? Once we've sussed that out, we can talk about shoes and bags and all those frilly things some women obsess over.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Teri-K wrote:
peteinmn wrote:
Yes, very cute both of you :P But, I'm waiting for an answer. Why the almost sexual attraction to cars? Once we've sussed that out, we can talk about shoes and bags and all those frilly things some women obsess over.
Cars are curvy. They growl when you turn them on. They don't mind it when you have a peek under the hood. It's fun to be seen with them. They are great to touch, to take care of. You get them all wet and rub them on Saturdays.

You turn them off and leave them in the garage when you go inside to watch soccer.
/Bloomfield
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

peteinmn wrote:
Ooooo...now that was low. There is no comparison here. It's always a crucial thing to make sure that while you are walking from point A to point B that your feet look really, really cute :wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Bloomfield wrote:Cars are curvy. They growl when you turn them on. They don't mind it when you have a peek under the hood. It's fun to be seen with them. They are great to touch, to take care of. You get them all wet and rub them on Saturdays. You turn them off and leave them in the garage when you go inside to watch soccer.
Cars are big and strong. They will go as fast or slow as you want them to, and keep going as long as you give them fuel. They respond to a gentle touch on the pedal. They don’t mind if you replace their old parts with new, shiny ones that work better. And they will wait patiently in the parking lot while you go inside to buy shoes, and refrain from comment afterward. :P
Sliabh Luachra

Post by Sliabh Luachra »

Given the origins of the mini and your last name, I'd say it's entirely appropriate. I'll have post pictures of mine at some point.

Mark :)
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Bloomfield wrote:Cars are curvy. They growl when you turn them on. They don't mind it when you have a peek under the hood. It's fun to be seen with them. They are great to touch, to take care of. You get them all wet and rub them on Saturdays.
Good! Is there more where that came from?

A friend of mine was sitting on the porch staring at my 1960 MGA. Finally he said, "I think I know why you like those vintage British racing cars with the rounded fenders (rather than the earlier square models). That car looks like a woman lying in the sand on her side. The rear fenders kinda look like hips and the front fenders, the way the bonnet kind of dips between the two headlights..." well, you get the picture.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I almost bought a used mini around 1971-72 that was just before they stopped importing them to the US.

While on a band tour in Canada in the mid 70's, I saw a bunch of them... new ones too! made me think about trying to smuggle one in to the US.

Here's an old picture of one I saw near the hotel in Canada where my band was performing.

scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Lorenzo wrote:....That car looks like a woman lying in the sand on her side. The rear fenders kinda look like hips and the front fenders, the way the bonnet kind of dips between the two headlights..." well, you get the picture.
That's a gorgeous MGA, Lorenzo. But then, the Jaguar E-type is more to my liking; it's so very....um.... Well. Say no more. :wink:

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Here you go: