Worst name for a school mascot?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

While I went to a state university (Univ. of Tennessee, home of the Volunteers), all three of my siblings went to a small, private college in Virginia: Emory & Henry College. E&H's sports teams are called the Wasps. I always found it humorous that "WASP" is also an acronym for "White Anglo-Saxon Protestant", considering that E&H is affiliated with the protestant United Methodist Church, and most (but not all) students are white. (The E&H colors are blue and gold. They lose most games.)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

What about the Jenks Trojans? I mean, what could incite more fear than a jinxed Trojan? Beware of Greeks bearing gifts.
Reasonable person
Walden
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Walden wrote:What about the Jenks Trojans? I mean, what could incite more fear than a jinxed Trojan? Beware of Greeks bearing gifts.
So, do the Trojans practice safe sacks?
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

There is a high school here in Utah who's mascot is the beet digger
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Let us not forget UCSC's mascot...the Banana Slug! Slime on, Slugs! :lol:

My high school mascot was pretty lame too. We were an all-girl Catholic school and for some reason known only to adolescent female brains, decided to pick the Raggedy Ann doll for our mascot. Yep, we were the "Marycliff Dollies." Gag. On the upside, in my junior year we did a centerfold in the yearbook featuring Raggedy Ann au naturel.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

My mascot wasn't the Beet Digger,it was a rival school....minie was almost as bad
The Miner
oooooooooo...
There's another HS here who's mascot is the Dart...
no not the Dodge Dart....
Dart board dart.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
TomB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TomB »

Redwolf wrote:Let us not forget UCSC's mascot...the Banana Slug! Slime on, Slugs! :lol:

My high school mascot was pretty lame too. We were an all-girl Catholic school and for some reason known only to adolescent female brains, decided to pick the Raggedy Ann doll for our mascot. Yep, we were the "Marycliff Dollies." Gag. On the upside, in my junior year we did a centerfold in the yearbook featuring Raggedy Ann au naturel.

Redwolf

Umm, Red. the Banana Slugs were the mascots I used as an example when I began this thread.

I think someone's mind is on a vacation.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

izzarina wrote:THE Ohio State University's mascott is the Buckeye (unless I'm mistaken). I don't see how a buckeye can be a mascot but then that's just me.
:lol:
Bite me. A thousand times, bite me. :wink:
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Virginia Tech is the Hokies. They have an alternate name the Fighting Gobblers.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

I like the UC Irvine mascot - the Anteaters (and a very Johnny Hart-ish Anteater it is). I'm told the cheer goes "Eat 'em up Anteaters! Zot! Zot! Zot!" This probably only makes sense to those familiar with Johnny Hart's "BC" comic strip, but I got a good laugh from it.

UC Riverside (where my #1 daughter is heading this fall) is known as the Highlanders - the mascot is a rather irritated looking grizzly bear wearing a kilt and highland bonnet. I don't know if he plays the pipes. :twisted:
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

TomB wrote:
Redwolf wrote:Let us not forget UCSC's mascot...the Banana Slug! Slime on, Slugs! :lol:

Redwolf

Umm, Red. the Banana Slugs were the mascots I used as an example when I began this thread.

I think someone's mind is on a vacation.

Tom
Ach...my brain is in England already!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

My elementary school (Eader) had the Eader Beavers.

J.
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

A few years ago I heard about a high school, somewhere here in Wisconsin but I can't remember where, that decided to change it's mascot. They decided that the George Custer High School Indians just didn't make it for some reason.

Beth
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Nanohedron wrote:Then there are the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers. The idea of gophers as awe-inspiring seems to fall just a bit short. But hey, they're GOLDEN. I'll try to work with it.
You forgot to mention the best part about the Golden Gophers mascot “Goldy”. That is that when the mascot was being designed the person had no idea what a golden gofer looked like so he patterned the mascot after a chipmunk.

I like the school colors though. Primer red and caution tape yellow (maroon and gold).
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

rebl_rn wrote:A few years ago I heard about a high school, somewhere here in Wisconsin but I can't remember where, that decided to change it's mascot. They decided that the George Custer High School Indians just didn't make it for some reason.

Beth
:lol:

Wow, talk about a bunch of conflicted students!
IRTradRU?