RIP Terri Schiavo

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Daniel_Bingamon
antispam: No

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

May Terry rest in peace.

For the rest of us, this has set a new precedent - and I don't like where it's leading us. :(

We won't need social security when it eventually runs out of money, they'll start killing us off by then. The only question is will government start it out or insurance companies (or the two in cahoots).

"unconscious", "brain-dead", "brain-damaged" and "persistant vegetative state" -- all it takes is a group of lawyers to make up some new technobabble.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:We won't need social security when it eventually runs out of money, they'll start killing us off by then. The only question is will government start it out or insurance companies (or the two in cahoots).
Well, I have no insurance and I sometimes really wish I had no government. :x
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Each person, I think, should have the ability to choose under what situations they wouldn't want their life artificially preserved.

This is a personal, private issue for most of us, and we are hopeful that in spite of the media frenzy surrounding this case, that it can remain both personal and private.

The government shouldn't be able to mandate this decision to you in either direction.

As for whether or not Terri Schiavo was brain-dead, her husband's lawyer has sucessfully argued that she was, again and again. I really doubt strongly that he would have been able to decieve the court even once on this issue, much less again and again.

I have a deep respect for her husband and his tenacity in trying to make sure his wife's wishes were carried out.

My heart goes out to him, and to her family. I wish them peace and healing.

--James
Jack

Post by Jack »

I agree, James. I also respect her husband for not parading himself all over the media like Terri's parents and other family members have done. By not putting himself all over the news, he did his part to keep it a private family matter.

I actually understand Terri's parents' wanting to keep their daughter alive--she was their child, but their allowing themselves to be used by the media (and especially Fox News) they way they did was just sad.

I feel sorry for them for loosing their daughter but moreso for being used while in such a delicate situation, just to help TV ratings.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

May her soul fly free. What an incredible ammount of trouble could have been saved if she'd only put her wishes int a legal document.

We all could be gone tomorrow... if you have a preference for what's done or not done... please do yourself, your loved ones, the judicial system, and a vicarious nation the facvor of putting it into writing and having it notorized... make sure your loved ones, and doc's have copies, and the local hospital as well. DH and I did this when I had to go in for surgery that threatened my future for sure... I got a miracle, but we were prepared for the worst. Saved a lot of worry and headache on top of the already serious situation.

Same with my bro, when he was going through a terminal illness, the docs wanted to treat him for things that were not going to help him at all... and if I hadn't been on site, and his power of attorney, they would have done so.

Make it known, folks.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

To those that have expressed relief that this is now "over", be advised that there are indeed hundreds of other such cases out there, and the rulings provided in Terri Schiavo's death by starvation case simply open the door for more of this.

The US system of jurisprudence is based on case law, and this one sets the precedent.

So, who's next on the new 'Death Row' ?
IRTradRU?
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

IRTradRU? wrote:To those that have expressed relief that this is now "over", be advised that there are indeed hundreds of other such cases out there, and the rulings provided in Terri Schiavo's death by starvation case simply open the door for more of this.

The US system of jurisprudence is based on case law, and this one sets the precedent.

So, who's next on the new 'Death Row' ?
I sure wouldn't call my feelings 'relief'... but when the people who should be making the decisions, either don't , or don't agree... this is what is inevitible...

Such a sad thing, all the way around.

My heart goes out to all involved.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
glauber

Post by glauber »

IRTradRU? wrote:So, who's next on the new 'Death Row'?
Probably a couple thousand people in Iraq.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Jack

Post by Jack »

glauber wrote:
IRTradRU? wrote:So, who's next on the new 'Death Row'?
Probably a couple thousand people in Iraq.
That is so horrible.

I'm slowly moving to the place spiritually and politically where I can say I am pro-life in all cases. Being pro-life in the death penalty arena is easy for me, but cases like Terri Schiavo's (and abortion, of course) really keep me conflicted.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Cranberry wrote:Being pro-life in the death penalty arena is easy for me, but cases like Terri Schiavo's (and abortion, of course) really keep me conflicted.
Yep. I've never been able to be in the anti-abortion camp (and am therefore politically pro-choice,) despite my personal feelings about it--partly because women cannot always be expected to cope with pregnancies...there are situations, and extreme times, which no-one can judge apart from the woman involved. Sometimes people are choosing among choices, any of which they know to be tragic.
Feadan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Feadan »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:.... they'll start killing us off by then. The only question is will government start it out or insurance companies (or the two in cahoots).

"unconscious", "brain-dead", "brain-damaged" and "persistant vegetative state" -- all it takes is a group of lawyers to make up some new technobabble.
:roll: (shakes head)
Riiiiight.....

Cheers,
David
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

Feadan wrote:
Daniel_Bingamon wrote:.... they'll start killing us off by then. The only question is will government start it out or insurance companies (or the two in cahoots).

:roll: (shakes head)
Riiiiight.....

Cheers,
David
Scoff if you will, but there are people out there that see this court-ordered starvation of a human being as being cruel and unusual punishment.
IRTradRU?
Feadan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Feadan »

IRTradRU? wrote: Scoff if you will, but there are people out there that see this court-ordered starvation of a human being as being cruel and unusual punishment.
Funny...I thought the removal of the feeding tube was family (husband) ordered and the supported by the court. Punishment? I'm pretty sure Terry died a long time ago...

David
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

What's "funny" about starvation?

If he'd refused to feed his dog, he'd have been arrested.

That he had the support of a court order doesn't make it right. And therein lies the problem with the decision of Judge Greer.

Since when is food and water considered medical treatment?

Since when are judges infallible?

The bigger issue now becomes the legal Pandora's box that has now been opened.
IRTradRU?
JLarsson

Post by JLarsson »

Funny...I thought the removal of the feeding tube was family (husband) ordered and the supported by the court. Punishment? I'm pretty sure Terry died a long time ago...

David
And "pretty sure" is good enough? Seems to me there were facts that had yet to be determined about her level of consciousness, awareness, ability to feel pain, and so on.

And why, exactly, if she were unable to feel pain, did they have a morphine drip going for the last however long? Far as I can tell, the morphine served one of two purposes: 1) She COULD feel pain (thereby negating the "total lack of consciousness/awareness" argument) and morphine was used to dull her response to starvation and dehydration, or 2) How easy would it have been to turn it up just a tad too much and end her life sooner?

I'm "pretty sure" that there was a significant lack of certainty in some of the "facts" of this case.

JLarsson