It's time for me to become a vegetarian again

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Are you a....

Vegetarian
16%
Meat eater
84%

Total votes: 55

trisha
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by trisha »

Cran, with an avatar like yours I'm amazed to see any posts at all on this subject :roll: .

Stu's post is balanced and logical, Wombat makes sense and we eat his way with fewer pineapples...

Some veggies in the UK are returning to a degree of meat-eating as various Organic and other standards are increasingly monitoring animal welfare and standards are improving. Farmer's Markets, open holdings etc mean that the ethical veggie (and omnivore) can source from suppliers with the same moral standards as themselves.

Buying humanely reared anything is a choice for anyone who stops to think (in the UK at least) - if the organic/welfare monitored food of your choice is more expensive, eat less of it and bulk up on carbs and veggies.

Trisha, smallscale kind and respectful farmer, Wales
Jack

Post by Jack »

trisha wrote:Cran, with an avatar like yours I'm amazed to see any posts at all on this subject :roll: .
;-)

It's weird. I got into bitter arguments with you, chattiekathy, Brian, Telegramsam, and Weekenders over this very issue (animal welfare), and I said I was going to eat another board member, and only after the last time did I finally noticed a pattern. While like Wombat said good arguments exist for not eating animals, I'm not capable of giving them. It's like the person who uses "because God says so" for being against something. That's not a good argument. lol

/me steps into the background finally, for real. Probably. Mabey.
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

Here in Chez Dubhlinn I do ALL of the cooking (Girlieman!) and as Mrs.D. has been a vegetarian for most of her life I am almost a vegetarian myself.With only the two of us here it's to much hassle to cook meat for myself. However when she goes to visit her mother in another town I like to go down to the market and buy some nice beef or chicken and break out the wok for a little meatfest.
Best of both worlds,really.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

murder a pint :wink: Image
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:lol:
Yerra will ye stop man,
I have to go to work in an hour!!!

Slan,
D.
:wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
emmline

Post by emmline »

Me: Herbivore, almost vegan since milk/cheese makes my head hurt. (occasionally fish,if it's the only restaurant choice.)

Hub: Omnivore, striving for heart healthy diet...limits meat/fat.
daughter #1: Pure, unvarnished, ethical vegan.
daughters #2&3: Omnis, totally.
son: omni, who kvetches at times about how he wants to be a vegetarian, it's just hard to do.

Trying to reconcile all this into meals has proven a bigger hassle than I can face, and as such, I have had an aversion-therapy type reaction to cooking.
We muddle through, but it's not the 50's sitcom mealtime I grew up with.
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Entrees for the week

Saturday:
2 juicy and thick porterhouse steaks, marinated in garlic, brandy and basalmic vinegar. Grilled to perfection--which means seared on the outside, red on the inside.

Sunday:
slab of spareribs, covered in barbecue sauce, slow-cooked in the crock pot for 10 hours until the meat fell right off the bones.

Monday:
Lamb chops, medium rare, served with a rosemary garlic sauce.

Tuesday: Taco Bell (ok..I take a day off from cooking every now and then) beef burrito supreme.

Wednesday (yesterday): Used the last sprig of fresh rosemary leftover from the lamb to make lemon-rosemary chicken and skillet potatoes.

Uhm..meat eater, I guess :lol:
Claus von Weiss

Post by Claus von Weiss »

I'm vegetarian for something like 18 years now. I actually used to eat a lot of meat before and liked it a lot, until I realised, what a nasty habbit it is to kill and eat your next of kin.
And all those, who enjoy making fun at veggies, please just remember, it's all about killing a feeling, (in it's way) thinking and (most important of all) suffering being, just because you want to eat your favourite dish. It's pretty nasty, isn't it?

Claus
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

emmline wrote: but it's not the 50's sitcom mealtime I grew up with.
emm... typo... but we all know you meant 70's :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Wanderer wrote:Entrees for the week

Saturday:
2 juicy and thick porterhouse steaks, marinated in garlic, brandy and basalmic vinegar. Grilled to perfection--which means seared on the outside, red on the inside.

Sunday:
slab of spareribs, covered in barbecue sauce, slow-cooked in the crock pot for 10 hours until the meat fell right off the bones.

Monday:
Lamb chops, medium rare, served with a rosemary garlic sauce.

Tuesday: Taco Bell (ok..I take a day off from cooking every now and then) beef burrito supreme.

Wednesday (yesterday): Used the last sprig of fresh rosemary leftover from the lamb to make lemon-rosemary chicken and skillet potatoes.

Uhm..meat eater, I guess :lol:
invite me anytime dude. please. :D
caniadafallon

Post by caniadafallon »

Cranberry wrote:
It's weird. I got into bitter arguments with you, chattiekathy, Brian, Telegramsam, and Weekenders over this very issue (animal welfare), and I said I was going to eat another board member....

That was me... I'm happy to report that I'm still here, with all my limbs intact. :D Jens, you should be safe. ;)

~Ad
Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
~Berthold Auerbach
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I believe there are many great reasons to be vegetarian. However, I eat meat about once a week, usually fish or chicken. I believe that the most compelling reason for limiting meat intake is that it is not good for us. The american diet includes about 5 times as much protein as is healthy not to mention the enormous amount of fat. When I cook, and I do a lot of our cooking I only use olive oil or canola oil. I tend toward dishes containing rice, beans, vegetables, and fruits. When I use meat it is as a flavoring not as the main ingredient. Many of my dishes use about 4 ounces of meat for the 2 of us. BTW I do not use salt in my dishes at all. It is another ingredient the american diets has too much of.

Fighting to reverse the damage done by MI.
Ron
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

I'm in much the same situation as dubhlinn. Since my fiancee is a longtime vegetarian, I end up cooking and eating that way myself, though I don't really consider myself a vegetarian. As a Buddhist, I'm supposed to be one, but (like a good Zennie) I'm suspicious of anything I'm supposed to be.

When I do eat meat, I try to make it organic free-range stuff -- factory farming is cruel and disgusting.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

RonKiley wrote:BTW I do not use salt in my dishes at all. It is another ingredient the american diets has too much of.
Wouldn't the obvious remedy be to not use too much of it (which, I agree is a real problem) rather than not use it altogether?
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Why doesn't everyone just move to the south? It's easy to be a vegetarian here. Oh, by the way, they declaired pork a vegtable some years ago here in Alabama.............
My opinion is stupid and wrong.