Cow farts and the end of the world ...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: OT: Cow farts and the end of the world ...

Post by glauber »

Jerry Freeman wrote:Friday, I heard something on the radio (NPR's "Science Friday" with Ira Flato) that may shed some light on the question.
Come on, am i the only one who wants to make a sophomoric joke on the poor radio host's family name?
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

david robertson wrote:So, Tonyhiggins, you're saying it's a worldwide Planet-f*rt we need to be sh*t ourselves about?
Yes, David, that's what I'm saying, though not in so many words. Laugh while you can. And carry spare undies.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

Comes inside from chopping ice out of the driveway....

Cow farts? Cow farts? Is that an Irish or Scottish tune? Perhaps English? What key is it in?

Goes back outside......
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Well, there is a tune called the Farting Badger...

:D 8)

--James
mcfeeley

Re: OT: Cow farts and the end of the world ...

Post by mcfeeley »

Jerry Freeman wrote:. . . . On the other hand, carbon dioxide from fossil fuels will remain in the atmosphere and not be recycled unless the amount of photosynthesis on the planet increases in proportion to the amount of fossil fuel derived CO2 being released.

I wonder if this principle would also apply to those famous cow farts, since the original source of the methane is recent photosynthesis. Perhaps there's something about methane that makes it more of a problem than CO2, however. Can anyone answer this?
Try these URL's:

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m159 ... html?term=

http://www.nature.com/nsu/000907/000907-6.html

http://www.cnn.com/2000/NATURE/07/21/cow.methane.enn/

http://ard.unl.edu/rn/0302/methane.html

http://wolfman.rucus.net/Essays/Cow.html

http://www.soilcc.ca/pdfs/Factsheet%206 ... 0-%204.pdf

http://www.eco-pros.com/methanemenace.htm
-- Dan M.

There beside the weed and thistle, a man, a dog, and his tin whistle.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

ANTS IN YOUR PANTS :boggle:

In 1982, four scientists from three continents collaborated on a paper published in Science magazine that estimated that flatulence from termites might be responsible for as much as 30 percent of the methane in the earth's atmosphere.

Since then, the level of termite-produced methane (and its possible contribution to global warming) has been a matter of fierce scientific contention.

Termites may solve the cow methane problem. Researchers who studied digestive microbes in termite stomachs say their findings could help solve problems caused by methane-belching cows.

Methane gas expelled from the world's cows has been blamed for contributing to global warming.

But Michigan State University microbiologists who isolated termite microbes said today they found gases like those in cow stomachs can be converted to nutritionally valuable acetic acid instead of methane.

The researchers led by MSU's John Breznak theorize that microbes provide clues to reducing cow-methane emissions while at the same time boosting the animals' milk and meat output.

In a paper published in the latest issue of the journal Science, the researchers say they were the first to isolate in test tubes corkscrew- shaped microbes called spirochetes.

Spirochetes convert two gases in termite stomachs, hydrogen and carbon dioxide, into acetic acid.

Acetic acid, which is essentially vinegar, can provide all of a termite's nutritional needs.

The researchers say spirochetes can derive up to one-third of a termite's acetic acid from hydrogen and carbon dioxide, which are byproducts of plant-food digestion.

Like termites, cows eat plant materials and thus get hydrogen and carbon dioxide in their stomachs.

But in cows, the gases combine to form methane, which is belched.

Breznak says, "If cows could have some of their microbes convert more of the hydrogen and carbon dioxide to acetic acid instead of methane, that would mean more milk, meat and fiber per kilogram of feed... Farmers would be very happy about that."

Researchers say the study of termite flora also could help find treatments for Lyme disease, syphilis and gum disease, which are linked to spirochetes.

They say wood termites were chosen for the study because their stomachs contain unsually diverse microbial populations.

http://www.junkscience.com/feb99/termites.htm
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Thanks for the info, Dan and Lorenzo.

So it appears that the issue with methane is that it's 21 times as potent a greenhouse gas as CO2. It also seems, based on the information you've provided, that new methods of handling livestock feeding (and old -- going back to a more grazing-intensive approach) could have a tremendous payoff in reduced greenhouse effect with much less effort than a similar reduction from changes in fossil fuel usage.

Interesting.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

Higgins, I think you've posted your circus story in the wrong thread.

Care to repeat it here for those who are blissfully unaware?

Jef
david robertson

Post by david robertson »

TonyHiggins wrote:
david robertson wrote:So, TonyHiggins, you're saying it's a worldwide Planet-f*rt we need to be sh*t ourselves about?
Yes, David, that's what I'm saying, though not in so many words. Laugh while you can. And carry spare undies.
Tony
Y'know, there's one of these big farts living off the west coast of Norway. And where I stay is just 40 feet above sea-level. It would make the San Andreus Fault look like a f*rt in a teacup. Ah well, might as well blow a tune.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Cows are civilized
DAIRY cows are civilized ............except for the bulls. Anyone who's had much experience will tell you a Jersey bull is the worst of the bunch.

Now beef cattle- a heathenish bunch who's sole purpose, as they see it, is to thwart any attempt by humans to do anything at all with them. Of course, given the destination they have, I'd be ornery too.

I have no scientific data on cattle and methane. I can tell you that any gas escaping from either end is foul. IMHO what comes out the front is the worst. Whew, those "cud" burps are just AWFUL. :cry:

Actually , we've decided to finally end generations of battle with cattle, elements, crops, etc. and sell the family farm. Anyone feel the need to "get back to nature" on 250 acres of farm with a vineyard, winery, cattle and all the great outdoors? :-?
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Jerry Freeman wrote:Second, I have doubts about the assertion, "CO2 is CO2, no matter where it comes from."

If the source of the CO2 is the release of energy that was stored from recent photosynthesis, that CO2 will (or at least can) be recycled by photosynthesis occurring in the next rounds of the same kind of vegetation that provided the energy to begin with.
Jerry, how can that CO2 be recycled by vegetation which has been eaten by the cows already?

Your assumption seems to be that photosynthesis will carry on, regardless of the fact that the photosynthesising matter now lies a brown and steaming pancake.

A bigger worry, imho, is acid rain. There's billions upon billions of tons of CO2 (dinosaur farts) loafing around in limestone, just waiting to be liberated... :o
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Fire up your fartmobiles! Methane hydrates a possible fuel source far greater than any utilized in the past!

http://www.post-gazette.com/healthscien ... drate1.asp

"Flammable ice sounds like a bad oxymoron, something that belongs on a list with "tight slacks," "fresh frozen," "simply confusing," "Microsoft Works" and the ever popular "military intelligence."

But flammable ice is a fair description of the planet's most abundant, if least recognized, form of fossil energy."

The interglacial period's supposed to be ending, anyway. Enough Toyota Flatulas and we'll be nice and toasty for another 50,000 years!
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

GaryKelly wrote:
Jerry Freeman wrote:Second, I have doubts about the assertion, "CO2 is CO2, no matter where it comes from."

If the source of the CO2 is the release of energy that was stored from recent photosynthesis, that CO2 will (or at least can) be recycled by photosynthesis occurring in the next rounds of the same kind of vegetation that provided the energy to begin with.
Jerry, how can that CO2 be recycled by vegetation which has been eaten by the cows already?

Your assumption seems to be that photosynthesis will carry on, regardless of the fact that the photosynthesising matter now lies a brown and steaming pancake.
If what you're saying is true, we're all going to starve, and soon, because after we've eaten this season's crop, there will never be another.

Best wishes,
Jerry
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Ah yes, but by the time the next crop appears, all the current CO2 has already been dispersed into our 'sphere by Brownian motion, and fallen back to earth dissolved in rainwater as acid... :o which will then attack and dissolve limestone, releasing the dinosaur emissions, giving off yet more CO2... And when it gets dark, those new crops of photosynthesising plants will give off their own CO2 as well, adding to the whole vicious cycle...

We're doomed! Doomed I tells ya! Must...kill...plants... :moreevil:
Last edited by GaryKelly on Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

we used to have a dog, when he farted i really thought it was the end of the world...have never been that close to a cow to be able....forget it. :D