Difference between Irish and Celtic music?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Re: Difference between Irish and Celtic music?

Post by I.D.10-t »

Wide as the pond.

The Vikings gave them red hair. The USA gave them potatoes. That spec of dust fought for the south and funded them to keep saves. Half of our problems were inherited. The civil war (which was no small part of your laws) was a part of your documents.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
dwest

Post by dwest »

I.D.10-t wrote:Wide as the pond.

The Vikings gave them red hair. The USA gave them potatoes. That spec of dust fought for the south and funded them to keep saves. Half of our problems were inherited. The civil war (which was no small part of your laws) was a part of your documents.
I am amaized you forgot the corn! Dare I mention tobacco, Viking corgis, coca cola, chocolate? If it hadn't been for the British slave trade there never would have even been an Empire.
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Some cultural notes:

I've never seen the spelling "Wali wali". I presume this spelling comes from the confusion that it might be Welsh rather than English (or maybe Scottish) in origin. It is in fact "O Waly waly". That is pronounced "O Way-lee way-lee" by the way. It's a Scots word meaning "alas", or "woe is me".

Holy Island is certainly a special place. I love the place. Hard to deny that it is, in fact, a tourist "trap" though. It's the biggest tourist attraction for many many miles around - one of the most visited places in the whole region.

I think the fact that "The Water is Wide" was on a CD called "Celtic music" neatly illustrates what's wrong with the term.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I love those CDs titled "Celtic Moods". They make me buy incense and crystals.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

... and practise yoga
dwest

Post by dwest »

The whole of the Isles are tourist trap, why just pick on one spot? Is it a mystery spot? We have mystery spots and gravity hills here.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:... and practise yoga
...and wear Birkenstocks and Rasta hats.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

dwest wrote:We have mystery spots and gravity hills here.
What we don't have is their marketing angle. When you live in a land where every stream had a fey, blossom-strewn maiden floating in it, all the rocks have curly graffiti carved into them, you can't put spade to earth for fear that Saxon treasure will ruin your chances for a decent leek-bed, and even Glasgow seems bathed in a golden mist, the travel brochures write themselves.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Nanohedron wrote:
What we don't have is their marketing angle. When you live in a land where every stream had a fey, blossom-strewn maiden floating in it, all the rocks have curly graffiti carved into them, you can't put spade to earth for fear that Saxon treasure will ruin your chances for a decent leek-bed, and even Glasgow seems bathed in a golden mist, the travel brochures write themselves.
Virginia Woolf was hardly a maiden nor did she float.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Nanohedron wrote:I love those CDs titled "Celtic Moods". They make me buy incense and crystals.
I have a friend who recorded one of those, as a hired studio gig for a well-known national retailer. You'd never know, though, because she was savvy enough to insist on a made-up pseudonym in the credits.

I remember my introduction to this recording. We were riding in her car, she leans over and says, "Pssst ... wanna hear something?" "Sure," sez I. "Then you have to promise," sez she ... And only after swearing a blood oath of secrecy on pain of death was I allowed to have a listen. To this day, visions of blackmail haunt my dreams ...
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

dwest wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Virginia Woolf was hardly a maiden nor did she float.
The point of this escapes me utterly, but I'll just nod and smile anyway.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:I love those CDs titled "Celtic Moods". They make me buy incense and crystals.
I have a friend who recorded one of those, as a hired studio gig for a well-known national retailer. You'd never know, though, because she was savvy enough to insist on a made-up pseudonym in the credits.

I remember my introduction to this recording. We were riding in her car, she leans over and says, "Pssst ... wanna hear something?" "Sure," sez I. "Then you have to promise," sez she ... And only after swearing a blood oath of secrecy on pain of death was I allowed to have a listen. To this day, visions of blackmail haunt my dreams ...
Don't you just love it when they hand you this stuff on a silver platter? You can't buy leverage like that. :thumbsup:
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

dwest wrote:The whole of the Isles are tourist trap......
Ever been to Hull? Stoke? Basingstoke?

I could go on.

:D
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nowt wrong with Hull. Stoke and Basingstoke, OTOH ...
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

benhall.1 wrote:Nowt wrong with Hull. Stoke and Basingstoke, OTOH ...
Ahem! May I draw the gentleman's attention to THIS

I'll think you'll find that the original Crap Town was indeed Hull.

I rest my case.

:D :D :D
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.