Lambs to the slaughter

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dwest

Re: Lambs to the slaughter

Post by dwest »

amar wrote:the sassenach has gone silent... :D
Probably met his doom somewheres.
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Way to go, Rob.
TC
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TC »

Lambs ?
Slaughter ?
I think I did see a touch of ignominy late in the 1st half.
Other than that, a clean exciting match all around.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Nanohedron wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:That would be like banning those girlies with the legs and the fluffy skirts who jump up and down at American football games. Nah!
Lemmesee...
lost what little credibility he had on that on, didn't he :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

You hope for finework, but sometimes only a sledgehammer will do. Tsk.

BTW, I don't really follow "The Beautiful Game", but I came across this photo from a France vs. Tunisia pre-Cup exhibition match:

I figured the thread needed a cute kitten pic.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Denny wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:That would be like banning those girlies with the legs and the fluffy skirts who jump up and down at American football games. Nah!
Lemmesee...
I've only been silent because I was watching the highlights of the Argentina game in which Lionel Messi was strutting his sublime stuff. I wouldn't miss that for the world. Yes, well, had I done my homework on the so-called "American" squad and found out that only four or five of the 23 actually play in America and that the vast majority play in the English Premier League or in other European leagues I might have revised my estimate to 1-0, which indeed it should have been but for the most crass, unforgiveable error by the bloke in goal who should never have been picked. My wife and I nearly fell off our seats laughing when the yanks made a substitution, putting on a chap who played for Bolton Wanderers, whose ground had a pub next to it in which I must have sunk ten thousand pints. There was a superb Chinese chippie right opposite. :lol: I actually went to school in Bolton for seven years. It was a very scrappy game, mainly because of the playing-the-man tactics of the very poor US team that stemmed the flow of the game. We will have to think hard about how we can counter this type of approach by poor opposition. England came good for a long period of the second half but, sadly, couldn't find the net. Aaron Lennon on the right flank made some fundamental errors due to inexperience in situations where his devastating pace could have been the clincher several times over had he moved out to the wing with the ball instead of trying to find men inside in the crowded area in front of the box. We will win the group but unfortunately we have now probably allowed the US to qualify. Still, another weak team in the last 16 can only be good for us. And, let's face it, at least I got a few yanks passionately interested in footie. :D
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
dwest

Post by dwest »

Personally I find it encouraging that the USA had the good sportsmanship to allow the English one goal more than they let them have in 1950 during our last match up. Good for England!
Denny

Post by Denny »

Denny wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Lemmesee...
yer post lost to the three quote rule :really:

ah, we were comparing trumpets and strumpets....what's this about sporty things an' footies?
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote:....what's this about sporty things an' footies?

Not so sporty-looking, either one. But the footie jammies have a drop seat. That's terribly convenient. Looks like something similar at the hoof-ends, too. Probably so's you can trim your toenails in snug, if fashionably dubious, comfort.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

dwest wrote:Personally I find it encouraging that the USA had the good sportsmanship to allow the English one goal more than they let them have in 1950 during our last match up. Good for England!
Bloody Nora, I'm already an old man and here you are harking back to the time before I was even born! :lol: You know very well that you only won because, at that time, the English were suffering from the privations of ration-book existence. How do you expect anyone, especially a footballer, to be any good if they can't even get half a pound of butter each per day? Anyway, how many World Cups has the US won? We've won one...

harpmaker

Post by harpmaker »

:lol: :lol: Or this type of footie;

But sorry Steve, I don't think your post caused an increased passion here for either one.

As far as 'coming good in the second half' goes, well, like they say, close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Let's see how the next matches go. You are right about one thing. It certainly won't hurt the US to have another weak team in the final 16 :wink:
Last edited by harpmaker on Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Discussing politics is like having a conversation with the ex. You know that no matter what the subject....it could be as innocent as what you had to eat for lunch....you know that they are going to somehow work your past sins into the conversation
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

SteveShaw wrote:Anyway, how many World Cups has the US won? We've won one...
Two world wars and one world cup,
Doo-dah, etc.

As the greatest-ever WC final fan song* had it.

*1966 vs Germany. If my quote was too subtle, the tune is Camptown races.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

harpmaker wrote: Let's see how the next matches go. You are right about one thing. It certainly won't hurt the US to have another weak team in the final 16
It'll hurt both of you. Isn't that when you cross over to play the other pools? A weak team in your pool means a fresher opponent at the far end of the elimination rounds. If you get that far, of course.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

SteveShaw wrote:
dwest wrote:Personally I find it encouraging that the USA had the good sportsmanship to allow the English one goal more than they let them have in 1950 during our last match up. Good for England!
Bloody Nora, I'm already an old man and here you are harking back to the time before I was even born! :lol: You know very well that you only won because, at that time, the English were suffering from the privations of ration-book existence. How do you expect anyone, especially a footballer, to be any good if they can't even get half a pound of butter each per day? Anyway, how many World Cups has the US won? We've won one...
Ration cards? Wow. That's really weak. Because ya know, the US was a HUGE football power in 1950.

Are they on ration cards now? Why, the Americans should have just forfeited the game to those titans. Didn't they, like, invent the game and everything? But oh yeah, the only good ones are because they play in England.

Talk about shovelin' it.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The trouble is, it seems, you Americans take this football lark so....seriously. :lol:

Thanks for reminding me of that brilliantly-tasteless German-baiting ditty, Simon. Wonder if I can find any German controversial forums...could come in handy... :twisted: