Odd News

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dwest

Re: Odd News

Post by dwest »

s1m0n wrote:
Denny wrote:Prince pens 'Purple and Gold,' new Minnesota Vikings fight song

Maybe it’s their purple uniforms, but Prince is apparently a big fan of the Minnesota Vikings. And the pop superstar has proved his loyalty to his home team by writing a song in honor of their current playoff run.
My all-time fave description of Prince came during his purple rain era, in which a review of his stage show described Prince (not a tall man) as looking 'like a purple doily wrapped round a weiner'.
Didn't seem to do much good. :twisted: Didn't know the Vikings could walk on water neither. :really:
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

The Dirtbag Olympics

When we heard that this year's Winter Olympics would be held in Canada, we were thrilled. It wasn't until we saw the event lineup that reality hit. And it hit hard.

Our vision of a two-week, beer-fueled Canadian riot-turned-civil-war was crushed. In its place we got curling. We can appreciate any athletic event that involves brooms, but we had hoped for a little more edge in 2010; something that would drive the imaginations of our mindless reality TV generation to the brink of fascination. Alas, it was not to be.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Denny wrote:
When we heard that this year's Winter Olympics would be held in Canada, we were thrilled. It wasn't until we saw the event lineup that reality hit. And it hit hard.

Our vision of a two-week, beer-fueled Canadian riot-turned-civil-war was crushed. In its place we got curling. We can appreciate any athletic event that involves brooms, but we had hoped for a little more edge in 2010; something that would drive the imaginations of our mindless reality TV generation to the brink of fascination. Alas, it was not to be.
I think the movie "Men With Brooms" is one of the greatest movies ever made, we've seen it more than twice in this household. One of the best stoner movies of all time!
Denny

Post by Denny »

two dogs & a goat (a day)

Dog washed out to sea has lucky escape

WARSAW (Reuters) – A dog had a lucky escape when a Polish boat rescued him from an ice floe that had carried him more than 100 miles up a river and out onto the icy waters of the Baltic Sea.

"My crew saw... a shape moving on the water and we immediately decided to get closer to check if it was a dog or maybe a seal relaxing on the ice," Jan Joachim, senior officer aboard the Baltica, told Reuters Television.

Draft law to jail dog eaters whets debate

BEIJING (Reuters) – A proposal to jail people who eat dog meat for up 15 days has caused controversy in China, where dog hot pot is traditionally popular.

The first draft of a law against animal abuse, aiming to protect animals from being hurt or killed in a cruel manner, has been completed by a group of experts and will be raised for legislation this April, local media reported.

Leader slaughters goats to ward off evil?

ISLAMABAD (Reuters) – Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari has a black goat slaughtered at his house almost every day to ward off "evil eyes" and protect him from "black magic," a newspaper reported Wednesday.

A spokesman for the president told the Dawn newspaper the goats were slaughtered as an act of Sadaqah -- meaning "voluntary charity" in Islam whereby one gives out money or the meat of a slaughtered animal to the poor to win Allah's blessing and stave off misfortune.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

dwest wrote:I think the movie "Men With Brooms" is one of the greatest movies ever made, we've seen it more than twice in this household. One of the best stoner movies of all time!
Yeah, that's a wonderful movie.
James Lennox: "I'm a drug dealer."
Neil Bucyk: "I bury dead people."
Eddie Strombeck: "I have a single digit sperm count."
Chris Cutter: "And I'm a naked cheater."
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
dwest

Post by dwest »

Denny wrote:
WARSAW (Reuters) – A dog had a lucky escape when a Polish boat rescued him from an ice floe that had carried him more than 100 miles up a river and out onto the icy waters of the Baltic Sea.
Have to admit that getting caught on an ice floe that is carried up river and out into the Baltic is very unique and odd. Didn't know that rivers flowed from the Baltic Sea. Reuters has been effected by the economy too I see.
Denny

Post by Denny »

:D I had problems with that also :really:

Must'a confused it with the Escher River
Last edited by Denny on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny

Post by Denny »

New Theory of Primate Origins Sparks Controversy

The evolution of the distant ancestors of humans and other primates may have been driven by dramatic volcanic eruptions and the parting of continents, according to a controversial new theory.

Scientists remain skeptical about the idea, however.

According to prevailing theories, primates originated in a small area. From this center of origin, they dispersed to other regions and continents.

The problem with this idea is that it has "resulted in all sorts of contradictory centers of origin," from Africa to Asia to the Americas, said researcher Michael Heads at the Buffalo Museum of Science in New York. It has also led to perhaps improbable suggestions that primates rafted across the Mozambique Channel to reach Madagascar or even across the Atlantic to reach South America, "imaginary migrations" that are "incompatible with ecological evidence," Heads noted.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Denny

Post by Denny »

Incredible Images Of Electricity (PHOTOS): Hirushi Sugimoto's 'Lightning Fields'

Using hundreds of thousands of electric volts, a metal table, and a camera, Sugimoto captures the sparks, movement, and dynamism of electric charge in his 'Lightning Fields' series.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Humboldt Squid Invade California

(AP) Giant squid weighing up to 60 pounds have invaded the California waters off Newport Beach and are being caught by sport fishermen by the hundreds.

The squid showed up last week and anglers started booking twilight fishing trips over the weekend to catch them.
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

Man offered fake degrees in return for spanking. :shock:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/8493725.stm

Right! I'll start my own university.
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Jamie Heywood: The big idea my brother inspired

When Jamie Heywood's brother was diagnosed with ALS, he devoted his life to fighting the disease as well. The Heywood brothers built an ingenious website where people share and track data on their illnesses -- and they discovered that the collective data had enormous power to comfort, explain and predict.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Denny wrote: Draft law to jail dog eaters whets debate

BEIJING (Reuters) – A proposal to jail people who eat dog meat for up 15 days has caused controversy in China, where dog hot pot is traditionally popular.

The first draft of a law against animal abuse, aiming to protect animals from being hurt or killed in a cruel manner, has been completed by a group of experts and will be raised for legislation this April, local media reported.
What happens if you eat dog meat for only 14 days?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Denny

Post by Denny »

probably have ta do kitty

do they have pizza?