Do you soak your oatmeal?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
sbfluter

Do you soak your oatmeal?

Post by sbfluter »

I have been enjoying long-cooking rolled oats for breakfast lately. Actually it's a 4-grain mixture from the bulk bins at the food co-op.

I heard somewhere that long-cooking rolled oats are supposed to be soaked in water before cooking and that years ago the box used to have soaking in the instructions. Is this true? Do you soak your oatmeal overnight before you cook it?
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
dwest

Re: Do you soak your oatmeal?

Post by dwest »

sbfluter wrote: co-op.

I heard somewhere that long-cooking rolled oats are supposed to be soaked in water before cooking...
Horrors! Steel cut only, cooked for thirty minutes, add other stuff as desired before serving.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

Steel cut oats and other non-flattened grains do cook faster if soaked the night before. Everything else turns into glue. Mixing other grains into your oats really does improve the flavor.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
dwest

Post by dwest »

I.D.10-t wrote:Steel cut oats and other non-flattened grains do cook faster if soaked the night before. Everything else turns into glue. Mixing other grains into your oats really does improve the flavor.
I think presoaking detracts from the flavor and texture, it is allowed in competitive porridge championships, however, but what do they know? :boggle:
emmline

Post by emmline »

I dunno...I just use the Scottish porridge-oats kind. Cooks in 8-10 minutes. Fuss-free.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

emmline wrote:I dunno...I just use the Scottish porridge-oats kind. Cooks in 8-10 minutes. Fuss-free.
"Instant" and "quick" oats are both parboiled or steamed before being dried and then rolled. The real thing is steel-cut oats, which aren't commonly found in north American grocery stores at all. Where you find them, they're likely to be called 'scottish' or 'irish' oats and to be priced as a premium product.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
emmline

Post by emmline »

They have them at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, but it's not standard-issue cereal aisle fare.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

I use a small slow cooker to cook mine. I set a timer to turn on the cooker around 4AM and I pre-load 1/4 cup of steel cut oats and 1 cup of water in the cooker the night before. I have it set to turn off around 6. By the time I'm done with morning things, I have a nice bowl of porridge around 6:3I add a pinch of salt to it right before its eaten.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

I get mine at Trader Joes (closer to home). The whole foods has it in bulk
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

What I read about soaking flattened oats was that it is actually healthier. That didn't make sense to me. I can see soaking intact grains because then the sprouting process starts and that could cause a chemical reaction of sorts which might improve the nutrients or digestibility or whatever. But flattened oats are pretty well dead like roadkill.

I guess I should try the steel-cut oats. Never had them.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
emmline

Post by emmline »

sbfluter wrote: I guess I should try the steel-cut oats. Never had them.
That was "Irish-style," as I recall. I did not care for the texture, as a cooked cereal. Too fine a grain for me. I prefer a chunkier feel.
dwest

Post by dwest »

McCann's is everywhere in the states and has been for many decades, what I didn't know was they also make fast cooking oats, a waste I think. It's a terrible thing to waste an oat. It's not like they grow on trees. The Golden Spurtle for 2009 was claimed by an American and I don't mean a Canadian.

We add just about anything that suits our fancy to oatmeal, hot chocolate, tea, maple syrup, golden syrup, brown sugar, butter, fruits, dried and fresh, including cranberries(dried), and a little orange juice with that is good too, ground nuts.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

How else you going to take an oatmeal bath?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

No. (I don't soak 'em.)

Pinhead Oatmeal. That's the stuff! Aha! Dat's what youse Yanks call "Steel-cut, Irish Oats, Scots Oats, etc". There you are, then.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Pinhead Oatmeal. That's the stuff!
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician