Sci fi book?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
feadogin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sci fi book?

Post by feadogin »

Hi, sorry I am not around much lately, but maybe some people still remember me. :-) This seems like a good place to come to for help in my search for a book I once read...Did anyone ever read an old Science fiction book about a guy who was blind, but he could still see, but actually what he was seeing only existed in his mind? Like, he thought he knew what people looked like but what he was seeing was not what they looked like in real life? Does anyone know what that book is? Does this make sense at all? I hope someone out there can help me!
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Re: Sci fi book?

Post by dfernandez77 »

I thought that was George W. Bush's autobiography.

Oh, Wait. That may be interpreted as political.

It's just a silly joke folks. :)

---
On topic, I read a zillion sci-fi books when I was younger. Don't recall one like that. Sorry.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

You should give up the Sci-Fi and stick to SF. Just my tuppence-worth. :wink:

I've read a lot of SF. Maybe too much... ...don't recall one like that. Sorry.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Never heard of it, but I'm having fun with creative google searches to try to find something that will fit.

Maybe this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Insult-Bloomsbu ... roduct_top
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

The book doesn't ring a bell, but the one Avanutria linked to sounds really good.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

Here's a long shot, but a short story worth your time anyway. Maurice Renard wrote a story back in the 1920's called "The Phony Man." The protagonist is a blind man who gets a prosthetic eye transplant and finds he can now see alternate realities.

Everyone remembers Jules Verne, but there was a lot of really fine early science fiction that came out of France in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. I think Renard is well worth checking out. He had a real feel for the dark and twisty sides of human nature. Anyway, does that sound like your book feadogin?
I'm asking you because you're an educated sort of swine. John LeCarre
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

Beth! That's it! You found it! I have to ask, what method did you use in your search? I am so impressed with your skills! :D
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Wow, I did? Cool! I love hunting stuff down on the net...even better when I find it.

I Googled the following string:

book science fiction blind man seeing "in his mind"

...and it was at the top of the second page.
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

Cool, now I get to reread it. It's been so long that I really don't remember whether I liked it or not. Seems like the reviews on Amazon are mostly not too complimentary.

I only thought of it because I had a dream the other night that I was wearing opaque glasses but I could still see, except what I was seeing was only in my mind. So I remembered that I read a book like that a long time ago...
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

avanutria wrote:Wow, I did? Cool! I love hunting stuff down on the net...even better when I find it.

I Googled the following string:

book science fiction blind man seeing "in his mind"

...and it was at the top of the second page.
That part I get. What I don't get is how you knew it was the book feadogin was describing from the blurb on Amazon.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

I wasn't sure that it was - it didn't quite match the given description, but it was close enough that it was worth flagging up. The amazon blurb wasn't good but the customer reviews had more plot information.