Antlers

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Antlers

Post by Walden »

If bucks shed their antlers annually, why do we not generally find them lying around?
Reasonable person
Walden
Pammy

Re: Antlers

Post by Pammy »

Have you ever been to Jackson Hole? They have dozens of them stacked up to make arches to walk through.
Perhaps all the bucks go there to shed their antlers :)
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Walden wrote:If bucks shed their antlers annually, why do we not generally find them lying around?
I don't know about you, but I've got one.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Mice eat them for the calcium, I'm given to understand. Might explain some of it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

the local hiking forum has annual threads devoted to shed hikes
dwest

Post by dwest »

I've seen thousands, I leave them where they are, which is where they belong, nutrient recycling ya know. The BSA use to be one of the greatest abusers of this, "Love nature, now go rob it."
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

dwest wrote:The BSA use to be one of the greatest abusers of this, "Love nature, now go rob it."
I knew the Boy Scouts must be to blame. Little paramilitary kids runnin' all over the place exploitin' natural resources!
Reasonable person
Walden
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Natural nutrients for all sorts of wild beasties... wish I could get hold of some... they are the only thing our dachshund can't destroy in under 5 minutes! LOL!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Walden wrote:If bucks shed their antlers annually, why do we not generally find them lying around?
Morris Men. Horn-handled knives. Horn Porridge-spoons. And I've seen those hunting lodges where there are antlers all over the wall. You'd never get your hat down off the top ones.

Actually it's a thing I've wondered about. Yearling stags only have one point on their antlers, where as older stags have much more complicated arrangements. So, DO they grow again, more complicated, the second or third year? Do they just grow? Or am I confusing two different kinds of deer? Why do they have to rub the velvet off? Is that only European deer? I plead ignorance. Irish deer have no antlers. (Which is why Irish dancing is performed with the hands strictly by the sides of the body.)
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
dwest

Post by dwest »

The red deer which are the only native deer to Ireland have antlers. In NA the red deer is comparable to our elk or Wapiti. In Ireland there used to be a mammoth elk species that is extinct now but of which remains exist including the largest antlers, period. There are only two native species to the whole of the Isles, the other four species that are common are all introduced. Even yearling deer of certain species can have large racks. I raised a white-tailed buck that had nine points his first year, he used to think the greatest place to rub his velvet was on my legs, it started getting a little dangerous at one point.
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

everything you've ever wanted to know about white tailed deer antlers (the kind we have around here...)

http://www.pabucks.com/deerantlers.html
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

Innocent Bystander wrote: Yearling stags only have one point on their antlers, where as older stags have much more complicated arrangements. So, DO they grow again, more complicated, the second or third year?
Yup.

Size of the antlers is a good indicator of age I believe. Pretty amazing that they can grow them so big in a year.

Guess the older stags are the ones that are usually dominant and they have the biggest antlers, so if the younger stags want a chance to mate they need to grow good antlers. Then the older ones have to stay one step ahead like some kind of antler arms race.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

dwest wrote:The red deer which are the only native deer to Ireland have antlers.
Up to a point, Lord Copper.

Red Deer ARE the only native Deer species to Ireland. But they went extinct and had to be re-introduced. The ones that got introduced have antlers. The ones that went extinct, did not - like Manx cats having no tail.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
dwest

Post by dwest »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
dwest wrote:The red deer which are the only native deer to Ireland have antlers.

Red Deer ARE the only native Deer species to Ireland. But they went extinct and had to be re-introduced. The ones that got introduced have antlers. The ones that went extinct, did not - like Manx cats having no tail.
So they were only females, no wonder they would have become extinct if that had been the case. Luckily it wasn't and antler size is mostly an indication of diet. The red deer in Ireland was not expatriated, there may have been introductions over the years but a continuous population has existed for some thousands of years.

The buck I raised was fed a commercially prepared diet plus all the greens we could gather, at seventeen months he weighed in excess of 175lbs which is big for a white-tailed deer here in an urban environment and certainly is the reason his rack was so large his first season.
Whistling Archer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistling Archer »

dwest wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:

So they were only females, no wonder they would have become extinct if that had been the case. Luckily it wasn't and antler size is mostly an indication of diet. The red deer in Ireland was not expatriated, there may have been introductions over the years but a continuous population has existed for some thousands of years.

The buck I raised was fed a commercially prepared diet plus all the greens we could gather, at seventeen months he weighed in excess of 175lbs which is big for a white-tailed deer here in an urban environment and certainly is the reason his rack was so large his first season.
How did you control your buck? A guy I know raised one and it was real nice & sweet until about a yr or so old. I dont know exactly when . But then it started getting aggressive. and it sure wasnt 175. A 175 buck was probably be a record in the place I go , Leon county .tx
http://www.youtube.com/user/sjeter61
My tunes , if you're interested