One of Henry's wives, or somebody else?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

One of Henry's wives, or somebody else?

Post by Jack »

I get to do a detailed exploration into the life of somebody from 1500-1600 in England. This person must have been at least somewhat important in the grand scheme of things.

I know two people who are going to do Henry VIII, so I don't want to do him. I'm thinking about picking one of Henry VIII's wives, either Catherine, Catherine, Catherine, Anne, Anne or Jane.

I'm wondering who your favorite person is, and why? It doesn't have to be one of the six wives of Henry (though my paper probably will be), but in general: during the sixteenth century in England (1500s), who stands out to you?
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Re: One of Henry's wives, or somebody else?

Post by fearfaoin »

For me, it's a tossup between Thomas More and Walter Raleigh.

Also good:
Francis Bacon
W. Shakespeare
Chris Marlowe
any of whom have probably been accused of writing one of the other's works.
dwest

Post by dwest »

"The Dragon" Drake was an interesting character, probably had as dramatic an impact on England as anybody of that time. Arrgh!
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Here are some suggestions:
Sir Francis Drake
Christopher Marlowe
Sir Francis Bacon

Drake is credited with defeating the Spanish Armada in 1588, which probably saved England from a long and terrible land war.

Marlowe is the well known playwright.

Bacon is credited with popularizing the scientific method.

At a liberal arts school, the military man, Drake, is probably an unpopular choice, and that's why I would choose him.
dwest

Post by dwest »

BillChin wrote:
Drake is credited with defeating the Spanish Armada in 1588, which probably saved England from a long and terrible land war.

At a liberal arts school, the military man, Drake, is probably an unpopular choice, and that's why I would choose him.
Here a picture of his ship, much bigger than the Spanish ships of the times. :wink: Image
Protean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Amateur whistler for 14 years, amateur fiddler for 30 years. Haven't played either much in a while, looking to get back into it.

Post by Protean »

I do have a special place in my heart for Drake and the Armada. I don't know what it is, but that's one of the few Euro History stories that really struck a chord with me.

The Spaniards in their giant, foreboding ships. Drake and his smaller, faster, more agile ships. It was a combination of rotten luck for the Spaniards and brilliant tactics by Drake and his lot, and Drake won the day.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Lets not forget Drake had letters of marque. That's what I want fer me and my crew! Oh! and he murdered innocent women and children, frequently.
Protean
Tell us something.: Amateur whistler for 14 years, amateur fiddler for 30 years. Haven't played either much in a while, looking to get back into it.

Post by Protean »

Drake truly was a stand up guy. Nothing not to like about him!
dwest

Post by dwest »

Protean wrote:Drake truly was a stand up guy. Nothing not to like about him!
He was murdering scum, but still fascinating.
Protean

Post by Protean »

Right, that's what I said! Stand up guy!

(Just in case it's missed, due to lack of inflection/body language, this is, in fact, sarcasm. Drake was a prick. Bloody interesting, though. And hey, history is written by the victor, right? So Drake's a hero! Just don't tell that to the Spanish, Irish, slaves, Thomas Doughty, etc.)
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Has to be England? Shane O'Neill or Red Hugh O'Neill wouldn't do?

...Red Hugh did get taken to England, to get a surprise pardon from the hands of Queen Elizabeth...

:twisted: :wink:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
djm

Post by djm »

I was thinking Gráinne Ní Mháille. She went to England by choice, and apparently had a good old chin wag with Queen Bess.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
dwest

Post by dwest »

djm wrote:I was thinking Gráinne Ní Mháille. She went to England by choice, and apparently had a good old chin wag with Queen Bess.

djm
She certainly impacted English shipping. I think 70% of the Irish female mitochondrial DNA can be traced to her.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

If I was picking between the wives, I've read a bit about them, I'd pick Anne of Cleves.
She was smart-smart enough to realize that he didn't "fancy" her, had a history of "spousal abuse" on a grand scale, and she better do something quick. "The Great Flanders Mare" had enough wit to befriend old Henry and survive the marriage.

If I wasn't limited to the wives, I'd probably go with Thomas Cranmer, if for no other reason than he wrote my favoirte- Rite I in the Book of Common Prayer

or Sir Thomas More
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Has to be England? Shane O'Neill or Red Hugh O'Neill wouldn't do?
Good choice. In university a friend of mine who was doing an advanced history reading course spent a summer in which she read her way steadily through the Calendar of State Papers of the reign of Queen Liz the 1st. (this is a summary of all or most of the official correspondance of the queen, that is, government of the day.

Every day she'd come home with amusing stories about what Shane O'Neill had gotten up to next, and the wild (but amusing) excuses/promises he was making to the queen in explanation.

As it turned out, her actual research focus had nothing to do with any of this. As I recall she also came home with stories of the ratehr pathetic pleas of some poor english cleric/scholar, who'd been sent by the queen to be bishop of somewhere or other in Ireland, and who hated every minute of it and sent home desperate pleas to be permitted to come home. The Irish, he said, had no interest in his preaching, particularly as he spoke English and latin but not irish, and in any case they were catholic and he C of E. So no one came to his sermons and he couldn't pursue his own scholarship because of the lack of libraries and other scholars. @0 or so years later, he died in office, still pleading to be allowed to return home.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis