Worthwhile books: Romance category

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
emmline
antispam: No

Worthwhile books: Romance category

Post by emmline »

Not for me...I'm so over that. :wink:

But now I'm looking for suggestions for the kid.
Yes, I realize it's somewhat atypical for 11th grade boys to be seeking reading material with a romance theme, but
he says that his favorite animes are the ones in that category, so he'd like recreational reading material in that vein.

Thing is, that most "romance" fiction is very female pov, and most adolescent romance is very high-school girls and lipstick type stuff,
far as I can tell from a scan of Barnes & Noble.

He has enjoyed Harry Potter, the Inkheart series, and Clive Barker's Abarat books among others.

Suggestions welcome.
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Worthwhile books: Romance category

Post by izzarina »

Pretty much anything by Jane Austen. Pride & Prejudice is excellent as is Pursuasion (which happens to by my favorite one ;) ). I don't know if that helps, though...I love that they are classics, but while they're not the typical "lipstick type stuff", they are definitely written from the female POV.
Other than that, I'm not sure. I tend to shy away from "modern" romance novels.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

There are lots of romances out there that I'm sure would appeal to him. One caveat, that may or may not be an issue to you - sex. Most of the contemporary romances today, especially the ones that aren't the flowery, lipsticky types, have pretty intense, explicit sex scenes.

As far as the more adult stuff goes, one he may like is the "Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon. These are intense books, with lots of violence (including rape) and a fair bit of sex. Many people are turned off by these elements - it's pretty intense. The basic premise is a English woman from 1945 travels back in time to 1743 Scotland and gets involved with a group of Highlanders and one particular Highlander, Jamie Fraser. They are very romantic, but I think of them more as historical fiction with a strong romantic element. There are 6 books in the series so far (Outlander, Dragonfly In Amber, Voyager, Drums of Autumn, The Fiery Cross, and A Breath of Snow and Ashes).

If he likes action along with the romance, there are lots of romance/adventure and romantic suspense out there. There's the "In Death" series by JD Robb aka Nora Roberts, which is futuristic police procedural with romance of the main couple, Eve and Rourke. Suzanne Brockmann writes Navy SEAL romances, the Troubleshooters being the main one. If you are searching BN or Amazon or whatever, look under "romantic suspense" rather than straight romances.

Paranormal romances are also huge if he'd be into that sort of thing - vampires, werewolves, shape shifters, ghosts, etc, etc. I'm not into that myself so I can't give any particular recommendations. I know a lot of these are VERY heavy on the sex if that's an issue for you.

A great site with lots of reviews, recommendations, and discussion is All About Romance. If you just want to find out more about a particular book or get suggestions.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

If you are cool with him reading explicit content, the books of Laurel Hamilton. Warning: he will find these to be quite uplifting, but they also contain scenes of very explicit gore and brutality. Shouldn't be too much for most any teen, but if he is squeamish or sensitive, you might not want to follow this recommendation.

I would have loved these books as an 11th grader. :D

On a milder, perhaps more "acceptable" note, the excellent "Amber" series by Roger Zelazny combine romance with a sci-fi / fantasy feel. Also very good stuff, considered by most to be on the "must-read" list for both sci-fi and fantasy.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
emmline

Post by emmline »

I will look. I'm not looking to censor, in particular. Don't know how much x-rated content the kid would care for. He's not likely to tell me.

As for Jane Austen, the issue would be the wordiness of the older lit. While I enjoyed P&P myself, the kid is a decent reader, but has overcome
some LDs in becoming so, and would likely find the 18th C. verbiage to be a turn-off.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I'm with Izz; there's a lot of great literature out there that's all about romance. Jane Austen is, of course, in a class of her own, and not inaccessible to a teenage boy. I was 21 when I discovered them, and had read all but Emma by the age of 23. I'm a science geek, and for the most part had to force myself to read stuff other than science fiction, but I absolutely loved her books. Other books like Anna Karenina and Camille were among my favorites then, too.

I've recently read all of the books by Ann Radcliffe, whose book The Treasures of Udalpho was prominent in Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey. Those books are wonderful, especially Udolpho and The Italian.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Give him Kurt Vonnegut and mess with his mind. Payback's a beach. Tom Robbins wrote some books about love. Even cowgirls get the blues, Stilllife with woodpecker. they're strange but good.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
mcurtiss
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am not a spammer. If I was, I'd probably like spam and egg sandwiches with a little cheddar cheese on top. Or maybe just pancakes.

Post by mcurtiss »

mutepointe wrote:Give him Kurt Vonnegut and mess with his mind. Payback's a beach. Tom Robbins wrote some books about love. Even cowgirls get the blues, Stilllife with woodpecker. they're strange but good.
half asleep in frog pajamas is good as well.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Not all that goes by the name of "romance" is full of lipstick! A good bit has hardly any sex in it, too.

I second the recommendation for Diana Gabaldon's series. It's sturdy enough that you'll find it in the literature section now.

This is the "medievel time travel" genre. Lynn Kurland has a series similar to this, but they are lighter in tone, contain more humor, and there are worthwhile dudes, both medieval and contemporary, in them. There is little sex.

From this Moment On involves no time travel, but a really funny case of mistaken --and not so mistaken -- identities and undeserved reputations. I think your son will be easily able to see himself as Colin of Berkhamshire, aka "The Butcher of Berkhamshire," and enjoy the goings-on.

You'll see all of this series listed in the back of any of the later novels, so you can find the earlier ones easily. Also by the publication dates on Amazon.com. You don't have to read them in exact order, but the first few do explain some things that occur in later novels.

Pretty much anything by Lynn Kurland is good. Her recent series involves a mythical land of Tor Neriche. Star of the Morning, The Mage's Daughter, and Pricess of the Sword. Very light and possibly a lot like an anime (although I have not read an amime, so have no way to know for certain).

If he liked Harry Potter, he might enjoy a series about a sort of grown-up Harry Potter . . . Harry Dresden, who is a wizard in Chicago. Jim Butcher is the author. Storm Front is the first, and you should read these in order, if possible.

Jim Butcher's other series, Codex Alera, about a mythical kingdom and a young man named Tavi, with whom your son may identify, is excellent. The Furies of Calderon is the first. They should be read in order.

Lois McMaster Bujold has a space opera series about Miles Vorkosigan, which I highly recommend. Some romance, some adventure, lots about succeeding in life even if you are at a disadvantage. Hard to tell which is the first, but it helps to get started near the beginning. I think there are some lists on Amazon that sort it out.

Her next series beginning with The Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls is good.
Cotelette d'Agneau
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Give him Lonesome Dove.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

My mom wrote romance books for Harlequin before she died. I've read them all and enjoyed them. She mostly went light on the explicit sex stuff, and focused more on trying to actually tell a good romance story. As is the nature of Harlequin books, they are long out of
print, but they're available used through Amazon members if he's interested.
http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Snowbir ... 53&sr=8-42
http://www.amazon.com/Notorious-Mrs-Wri ... 227&sr=8-5
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Mrs-Wrong-Harl ... 227&sr=8-6
http://www.amazon.com/Coming-Home-You-H ... 227&sr=8-2
http://www.amazon.com/Man-Like-Mac-Harl ... 227&sr=8-1
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

By Romance, maybe you mean novels in which relationships are a key element, if not the entire focus.

How about John Fowles - The Magus, and The French Lieutenant's Woman. The Magus in particular is a young man's fantasy (in several senses), a coming of age Bildungsroman. The language is accessible, I think, the setting modern but exotic. The magical, psychological elements might resonate with a kid who has enjoyed Harry Potter. I don't remember how explicit the sexuality is, but his relationship with his girlfriend and romance with the two sisters is a main driving theme, from a very male perspective. I found it a powerful story when I was ... er, a young man. The French Lieutenant's Woman I probably need not describe.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

If I knew how old 11th Grade was it might help. Still Life with Woodpecker is good - I enjoyed that years ago, and got a second-hand copy just recently, for the nostalgia.

I'd say anything by Margaret Mahy - The Catalogue of the Universe, anything really - I can't remember the titles.
Anne Fine has some pretty romances, but they tend to be very downbeat.

R.L.Stevenson's Kidnapped and Catriona. Together, they are a Romance, in the boy-and-girl sense. (N.B.: "Catriona" is pronounced "Katrina".)

Neil Gaiman's American Gods. Depending on how old he is. There are a couple of raunchy bits. I read this to my son when he was fifteen. I blushed, but we managed.

Ah! Fred Marryatt's Mr Midshipman Easy. A romp, and a nice romance too.

Edited to say, I found John Fowles impenetrable and unsatisfying. It's all in the mood, and there's no resolution to the story. But MTGuru has a more powerful intellect than mine. I wouldn't recommend him for the average teenager. Even for the exceptional teenager. Mind you, when I was a teenager I was reading The Brothers Karamazov which I have recently thrown down in disgust, as a thinly disguised book of sermons. Who knows?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Innocent Bystander wrote:If I knew how old 11th Grade was it might help.
That would be around 16-17 years old, IB, the second to last year of high school.
Innocent Bystander wrote:But MTGuru has a more powerful intellect than mine.
I wouldn't, like ... I mean ... uh, y'know ... count on that. :lol: I admit I didn't tackle The Magus until I was closer to the main character's age, around 25, and steeped in both ambivalent romances and Jungian psychology, Yeats, Robert Graves, etc. It might be a bit much for a teen who's more down to earth. And I'm a sucker for ambiguous resolutions and manipulated structures - Sliding Doors, Eternal Sunshine, Happenstance, Hopscotch, Steppenwolf ...
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

MTGuru wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:If I knew how old 11th Grade was it might help.
That would be around 16-17 years old, IB, the second to last year of high school.
Thank you kindly!
MTGuru wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:But MTGuru has a more powerful intellect than mine.
I wouldn't, like ... I mean ... uh, y'know ... count on that. :lol:
I don't think there is any doubt. :lol:
MTGuru wrote: I admit I didn't tackle The Magus until I was closer to the main character's age, around 25, and steeped in both ambivalent romances and Jungian psychology, Yeats, Robert Graves, etc. It might be a bit much for a teen who's more down to earth. And I'm a sucker for ambiguous resolutions and manipulated structures - Sliding Doors, Eternal Sunshine, Happenstance, Hopscotch, Steppenwolf ...
Sliding Doors, Steppenwolf, Nausea, absolutely. And Graves is my hero. For some reason Fowles doesn't do it for me. Everyone's different.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!