Pic Thread : Ennistymon Horsefair

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cayden

Pic Thread : Ennistymon Horsefair

Post by Cayden »

It's been ages since I have posted a pic thread outside the Willie Clancy week, so there you go.

It was Horsefair in Ennistymon, Co Clare today. Nothing on the scale of Spancil Hill or Ballinasloe but good fun nevertheless. Spent the morning walking the street taking pictures of the animals and the people, donkey, horses and geese, farmers dressed up for the day out, travelling people up for the craic and to buy or sell a few horses, wild mountainy men and women, traveller kids tearing up and down the street riding bareback, locals and blow ins. Great day, great atmosphere.

dwest

Post by dwest »

That burro shot outside Monument Hair is GREAT! :lol:
The beer light in the window was a little distressing however. I hope those horses don't think that is an appropriate beverage for man or beast.
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

dwest wrote:That burro shot outside Monument Hair is GREAT!
Indeed, and "2 hour parking."

Wonderful pictures, all. Thanks for posting them.

Best wishes,
Jerry
emmline

Post by emmline »

Certainly must give townsfolk a taste of road conditions which prevailed in the pre-auto days. Road apple conditions, that is. I noticed quite a few human shanks clad appropriately in rubber boots.

Oh shiznit...I probably used another dirty word.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

They're wellies Image
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Do they still have real horse fairs like this, or was this just a spectacle put on to attract the tourists? Your intro suggests the latter.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Budweiser? The ponies are after the Budweiser? Sacrilege.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

djm wrote:Do they still have real horse fairs like this, or was this just a spectacle put on to attract the tourists? Your intro suggests the latter.
It's a 'real' horsefair, nothing particularly touristy and I don't think I suggested any different. These things just happen, they have them regularly in Kilrush as well. Ballinasloe and Spancil Hill are huge and attract a lot of visitors and have a more touristy element but they're still primary horse fairs

Before they had the Mart built Ennistymon had regular cattle fairs in the street, some great photographs of that were done by Dorothea Lange during the fifties.

they're in the book: Image
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Peter Laban wrote:
djm wrote:Do they still have real horse fairs like this, or was this just a spectacle put on to attract the tourists? Your intro suggests the latter.
It's a 'real' horsefair, nothing particularly touristy and I don't think I suggested any different.
I think it might have been this part that got that image going in djm's mind:
Peter Laban wrote:...travelling people up for the craic and to buy or sell a few horses
"Traveller" refers to an ethnic minority in Ireland kind of like Gypsies, right?
Jim
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Jim »

Thanks for the pics Peter. They're a great mental escape from being cooped up in an office all day in front of a computer. (Producing absolutely nothing of real value)

Jim
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

fearfaoin wrote:
Peter Laban wrote:...travelling people up for the craic and to buy or sell a few horses
"Traveller" refers to an ethnic minority in Ireland kind of like Gypsies, right?
Nothing else.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
djm

Post by djm »

Peter Laban wrote:It's a 'real' horsefair, nothing particularly touristy and I don't think I suggested any different. These things just happen, they have them regularly in Kilrush as well. Ballinasloe and Spancil Hill are huge and attract a lot of visitors and have a more touristy element but they're still primary horse fairs
Okay, thx, but that's what got me to wondering. A lot of the photos I see are from fifty years ago, so I'm never certain of what is still current and what is passé.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Great photos. I especially liked the first one.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Yes travellers are, well, Travellers. Both Ennistymon and Kilrush have quite a few settled travellers in their population. There are a number of halting sites around Ennistymon as well (as well as regular illegal roadside encampments) . Sometimes there are ad hoc horseraces in the main street.
Travellers have always been associated with horse trading, the Dorans were trading horses for example.

There aren't a lot of working horses left but farmers keep a few horses or donkeys as a hobby and sell them off every now and again.

Added:

Lovely photobook, pics from the sixties, Irish Travellers, Tinkers no more by Alen MacWeeney:

some great shots in it of the Fureys and Paddy and Johnny Keenan, very young all of them. CD with songs and music with the book
Last edited by Cayden on Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

A pony, a pony, I want a pony! :lol:
thanks a million for these pics, Peter. they made my day.