Do you break spaghetti when you cook it?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

fearfaoin wrote:
djm wrote:Spoon, schmoon. What's with these thin, weak, runny spaghetti sauces?
What's the spoon got to do w/ sauce?
The spoon is supposed to be used to
help roll the spaghetti onto one's fork.
Yeah, they use the spoon in Italy. That's where I learned to use it. It helps, some.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

The Weekenders wrote: Yeah, they use the spoon in Italy. That's where I learned to use it. It helps, some.
In parts of Italy - the proper way of eating spaghetti is a matter of regional difference, serious debate, and some acrimony in Italy.
/Bloomfield
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

No break, no spoon and not too much sauce.
There!
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I don't, but then I've used 12 inch north american pasta my whole life. [Some] Europasta is close to twice as long - 50 cm, maybe? That's long enough to require breaking to get it into the pot.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Doc Jones wrote: Then of course there's the old trick of running the loop of spaghetti in the mouth and out the nose (or is it the other way round?). That works best with unbroken noodles (sorry Susan).
Nasal floss is a venerable yoga manouver, although usually done with a shoelace-like piece of leather.

It's one of the few yoga moves that Lululemon hasn't made designer equipment for!
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
chas

Post by chas »

gonzo914 wrote:Break spaghetti? Only if someone is watching.

But I prefer to buy the fresh, soft stuff. Angel hair alfredo made with butter and cheese and cream, not that starch-thickened crap in a jar. Toss in a bit of ham for an extra tasty treat; add some sauteed shrimp or lobster pieces and it's better than sex.
Tonight is pasta jambalaya night. Homemade sauce from grandma's back-yard tomatoes. A little spice, shrimp in the pot for the non-pork eaters, andouille in the pot for me. Served over linguine with ample amounts of cheese and homemade bread.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

susnfx wrote:Always. And what's worse, I cut through it with knife and fork before eating. I'm sorry. I realize that makes me a Neanderthal, but I freely admit it. Being able to eat my spaghetti cleanly and neatly instead of worrying about wearing it on my blouse is part of the enjoyment for me.

Susan
My wife does this. I try not to draw attention to it. She knows I disapprove. She can only barely use chopsticks, too. She always ends up wearing the spaghetti sauce on her blouse anyway. "Neatly" and "cleanly" have no association with spaghetti. Or fettucini. Actually, I think the knife is just an indication of nervousness. It doesn't do any good. If you learn to use the fork properly it is less messy.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Bloomfield wrote:You can always tell people who secretly break their spaghetti and lie about it by how they misspell "Neanderthal."
Someday I'll learn to proof read my posts. :oops:

I put the noodles in the pan of boiling water leaning against the edge and gently push them with a spoon or spatula until they are fully within the water.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
emmline

Post by emmline »

Flyingcursor wrote: I put the noodles in the pan of boiling water leaning against the edge and gently push them with a spoon or spatula until they are fully within the water.
Yes, precisely.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

emmline wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote: I put the noodles in the pan of boiling water leaning against the edge and gently push them with a spoon or spatula until they are fully within the water.
Yes, precisely.
Now, everyone by now should know that in cooking any pasta, when it comes to water, abundance is your watchword. The cool thing about that is that if you have abundant water, you usually have a pot tall enough to submerge all of your spaghetti.

The drawbacks are that some people don't have large pots; also, large pots take longer to come to a boil. So if you're impatient and barbaric like I am, or just don't have a large pot, then you use a smaller pot where the spag sticks out of it. Please don't tell Mario Batali. He'll give me that look, and I don't think I can bear that.

To stave off pasty clumpage, I vertically set my little bundle of uncooked pasta joy in the center of the pot, release my grip, and the bundle falls fanning out radially against the pot's brim, usually quite nicely. Almost never any clumpage, ever, and it's kind of fun to do if you've run out of other ideas.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
djm

Post by djm »

Nano wrote:The drawbacks are that some people don't have large pots
Silly boy! That's what bathtubs are for.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

djm wrote:
Nano wrote:The drawbacks are that some people don't have large pots
Silly boy! That's what bathtubs are for.

djm
Unless he's referring to large pot-bellies.
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

break spaghetti??? I won't even start on it.....
spoon? ahh no...........that's for beginners.........fork only please.
practice practice practice....eat lotsa pasta.......
sauce? do what the italians do........so, lots of flavor and long stewing with little meat (NO MINCE).

am I a snob now? well, thank you!!! ;)
Flyingcursor

Post by Flyingcursor »

Berti66 wrote:break spaghetti??? I won't even start on it.....
spoon? ahh no...........that's for beginners.........fork only please.
practice practice practice....eat lotsa pasta.......
sauce? do what the italians do........so, lots of flavor and long stewing with little meat (NO MINCE).

am I a snob now? well, thank you!!! ;)
beginner my hindquarters! I've been cooking pasta since Hector was a pup. I use a spatula. With a spatula I can tell the instant it's done.
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

come on.......was just kidding.