What is your Favorite hard to find beer?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Wow, some interesting favorites so far, I certainly wasn't expecting to see Rolling Rock and Olympia mentioned :lol:

On the home brewing side, it's a good thing I don't have the time for another "hobby" is all I can say about that. :wink:

Loren
Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV

Post by Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV »

Medallion was a better beer than Oly, really, but now that I think back on it it, the best beer I ever had was something I had along the Rhine years ago. Medallion had a malty quality that was also in a close relative taste wise I also haven't seen in years, Erlanger. All of those beers had a primal lager quality that was strongest in the beer I had along the Rhine but was also strong in a beer I had in an Italian restaurant once. There are a lot of good beers, but there is a basic simple beerness I want sometimes. It is as elusive as the proverbial good cup of coffee.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Aww Rod, you're making me all nostalgic, I almost remember the Genesse Cream Ale of my youth as having tasted wonderful :boggle: :lol:

I'm old enough to remember the original Oly (as well as RR of course), but don't think I ever had the "improved" iteration, or should I say "Appellation" :P

There was a beer, the name of which I can't currently remember, which was another Pennsylvania local (Bucks Co. area or close I think) beer that was really quite good and dirt cheap. But again, I'm remembering it as being good, I might hate it if I had one today :wink: Wish I could remember the name though.....

Loren
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

If I had to make a guess on what the local Pittsburgh beer might have been. here are my guesses: Stoney's, Schlitz, Iron City, or Fort Pitt. My Dad rarely bought the good stuff.

I had an aunt who grew up in Germany who thought a warm Iron City was the best she had in the USA.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

mutepointe wrote:If I had to make a guess on what the local Pittsburgh beer might have been. here are my guesses: Stoney's, Schlitz, Iron City, or Fort Pitt. My Dad rarely bought the good stuff.
Nope, Bucks County is on the other side of the state, near Philly, so it would have been something within a couple of hundred miles of Philly. Definitely wasn't any of the one's you mentioned. Had an unusual name as I recall.....

Right, I've got it now! Stegmaier. http://www.lionbrewery.com/

I believe the original that I'm thinking of was the "Gold Medal" This would have been back around '82-'86 or so.

Loren
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

In southern California, you can only get Fat Tire Ale (and maybe one or two more) from New Belgium Brewing. You can get more of their bottlings in San Francisco or Seattle. It must be the Orange Curtain.
Anglorfin

Post by Anglorfin »

I get Stone products in NJ quite easily.

Harpoon brews are something that I wish were more prevalent around here.

There's a lot of beers from the Great Lakes region that for some reason never make it down my way. Point, and Steven's are a few. I know there are tons since it's such a great region for beer but for some reason I never see all that many around here.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Anglorfin wrote: Harpoon brews are something that I wish were more prevalent around here.

Yeah, Harpoon makes some excellent beers. Most of their stuff is in practically every store here, of course. (Except the Munich Dark :swear: )

Harpoon has a good Octoberfest party every year at the Brewery here in town. 3 or 4 bands going all at once, endless brew on tap, etc. etc., and public transportation right at the entrance - so no one gets hurt.

Er, well, hangovers don't count, right?

That's it, I'm off in search of a store that's got Harpoon Dark......

Loren
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Hey Loren, you're still in Boston? What's up old man??
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Azalin wrote:Hey Loren, you're still in Boston? What's up old man??
Hey Az, good to "see" ya.

Yup, still in Boston. Just getting back to playing after a couple of years off (for a variety of reasons.) Trying to get my flute playing going again, if my wrist will take it..... Damn shame to be in this town and not be taking advantage of the ITM scene here, so I am trying to rectify.

How 'bout you, all well ya concertina playin' fool? Wish I could say I'll see your in the Catskills, but I can't make it :( Hoping for next year though.

Loren
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I enjoyed Alaskan Amber while I was touring Alaska last week. I probably drank too much in a pub in Talkeetna, a little place where the TV show "Northern Exposure" was patterned after. All I have left to show for it now is a hat with the Alaskan Brewing Company logo, a fishing ship. I've never seen Alaskan Amber here in Indy.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

It's hard to find anything around here that isn't Budweiser, Miller, Coors, etc. Unfortunately, Samuel Adams is about as "exotic" as most places get. I've exhausted most of the potentially good stuff that is sometimes on the shelves. I've recently found that I can't go wrong with anything by Abita.
But what I'd really like to find again is some Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout.
The local World Market had it once. The only other place I ever saw it was on a military base in NC while visiting an army buddy.
jkwest
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Post by jkwest »

New Belgium Brewery Mothership Wit...the best wheat beer, hands down!
Someone already said Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA...thats another good one..

my favorite, but, not really that hard to find is Mendocino Brewing Companies Eye of the Hawk..

Seems like everywhere I go
The more I see
the less I know-Michael Franti
Kansas

Post by Kansas »

brewerpaul wrote:
hyldemoer wrote: Back in the day, I woulda said that my favorite was the one that I hadjust brewed, but then this pesky whistle making took up all of my spare time... :P
Darn - and we were all wanting to try the newest East Coast phenom beer - Busman Beers.

A suggested slogan - "Busman Beer - It's sure to wet your whistle !"[/b]

And if as good as your whistles - we'll wait in line for it.

Paul - Regards - still playing your three GEMS
Clann O' dubh Ghaill / Doyle