Mass Transit

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
monkey587
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by monkey587 »

CHasR wrote:
monkey587 wrote:
CHasR wrote: STILL, what Id really like to see :

IS BYCYCLISTS OBEYING SOME BASIC TRAFFIC LAWS:

Like, for instance:

STOPPING AT A F!*@&^%#*(*&- ING RED LIGHT??!?!??!?! :swear:
They're probably there, but you don't notice them.
I don t get you :-?
You don't notice the cyclists who obey the laws, just like you apparently don't notice the drivers that BREAK the laws, whom are assuredly FAR more common.

Let's unhijack this thread. If you just want to vent about cyclists, start a separate thread for that purpose.
William Bajzek
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

susnfx wrote:
The Weekenders wrote:Susan, you need a Vespa, at least for the warm enough days....
I've thought of that! I may look into that before long.
One of my in-laws purchased a bike with an electric motor. Charge it up and it will allow you to either ride without assistance, assisted, or on electricity only. I think it goes about 20 miles on battery only. (My in-law used the assist up a long incline) The battery detaches, and is charged indoors.

It might be an option if you are looking at a scooter. Depending how cold it gets in your neck of the woods, the battery might not be as effective if it dips below 0°F, but then you can either pedal, or take the bus.

Although a vesta with a side car would be better for getting your groceries...
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Here in the "suburbs" of L.A., I can't find a bus schedule that takes me to work and gets me back at a reasonable time.

I'd love to get a Vespa, but not for the usual reaasons. I could motorpace all my cycling buddies all day long and not get tired.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

fel bautista wrote:I'd love to get a Vespa, but not for the usual reaasons. I could motorpace all my cycling buddies all day long and not get tired.
Having biked behind a Vespa, I can say the exhaust would not add to a pleasant bike ride. Perhaps it was just in need of repair.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One thing I do wonder about, The number of scooters has doubled near the bike racks at the university. If gas prices go back down, will they end up in the garage as yet more clutter? Starting at $3000 it would take a lot of driving to justify the cost unless you were able to fully rid yourself of a car in getting one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
susnfx, Have you looked into the month long passes? and the other UTA Discount Programs
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
dwinterfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dwinterfield »

Ridership on Boston's public transportation is up 6% from last year. My wife and I live 40 miles out and commute by rail and subway every day. The monthly passes are $250 each. It's much cheaper and much faster than driving. As a bonus, we get to read the newspaper, listen to music and sleep. The trains now have wi-fi too.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I agree with ChasR. I've seen an increase in bicycles but so many people have no concept on how to ride on the road.

Being a bicyclist myself it really ticks me off because it gives all of us a bad name.

I saw two ladies take a left turn in front of oncoming traffic at a light a few days ago. Idiots.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
dwest

Post by dwest »

One of my neighbors uses one of these most dayshttp://www.alteredelectricskateboards.c ... _600_P.htm for a five mile commute. Tows his son on a non-powered board for fun.
missy

Post by missy »

I.D.10-t wrote: Starting at $3000 it would take a lot of driving to justify the cost unless you were able to fully rid yourself of a car in getting one.
that's why I'm looking either at used ones (I don't want to spend more than $1500) or a new one from a shipper that we then put together. No Vespa or Honda, maybe a Yamaha. I'd like to get one that's around 150cc (I have a major hill to climb on my way home).
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

monkey587 wrote: You don't notice the cyclists who obey the laws, just like you apparently don't notice the drivers that BREAK the laws, whom are assuredly FAR more common.
sorry to dissppoint you, monkey 587, but how can you know what I see on the roads? really?
There's plenty of both good and bad behavior by all who use the roadways.
and No, Im not going to start another thread just to bi#ch about bicyclists;
As a driver, I dont mind seeing more bikes: as long as they're subject to the same laws drivers are.
And if they DONT, WONT, or CANT obey common traffic laws, such as stopping at a red light,
Then they can damn well get on the bus, train, or trolley.

:party: .
J-dub

Post by J-dub »

I know what you mean Susan, UTA has really hiked the fares this past year. I'm afraid it is discouraging too many people at a time when UTA needs to make it's self more appealing - traffic problems in Salt Lake valley are only getting worse but it has not quite reached desperate enough proportions I guess. Just wait, Seattle used to be like that when I was growing up and now look at it. Another problem is lack of east-west routes, my last job was in West Valley and I discovered that there are not enough east-west routes, most seem to go north-south. I rode my bike as much as possible, but biking from Sugar House to West Valley is not high on anyones scenic, or safe, cycling routes I'm afraid, regardless of whether you stop for stop signs or not. Too many idiots behind the wheel of a car. They breed them especially to kill cyclists and pedestrians in them parts.

UTA also keeps changing bus routes in ways that adversly affect me - I have to assume that it is helping other folks at least. The worst was when they changed the ski bus routes. I used to be able to catch it near my house and take it right to the mountains - it made for a lot of great ski touring options since you did not have to arrange a car shuttle when you were coming out a different canyon. Too bad.

My most reliable transportation is my bike. I have a fixed gear for getting around town which is great for getting around the valley since it is flat. Sometimes I jump on TRAX with the bike if I need to extend my range.

Actually, UTA has done something that has had a positive effect on the local ITM crowd. I took the new comuter train to the session in Ogden last Friday. My pipe case got some curious looks from the brief-case totting crowd - what a strange brief case, and something even stranger inside buddy believe me. Don't make me break out the pipes! It was fun, and at $5 it was a lot cheaper than me driving to Ogden alone, and faster since Friday trafiic on I-15 at 5:30pm is typically really bad. The train station in Ogden is only about 4 blocks from the session venue which is nice. A lot of folks have expressed interest in taking the train next month, who knows maybe we will entertain the pasengers with a few tunes next time

John!
Jack

Re: Mass Transit

Post by Jack »

susnfx wrote:I recently moved into a new condo which is about 35 blocks straight south of where I work. There's a bus line that goes from in front of my house to about 1/2 block from my office. I want to ride the bus, but I can't and here's why:

Utah Transit Authority (UTA) has raised bus fares twice in the last year and are going to raise them again in the near future to $2.75 ($5.50 per day for me then or about $110 a month). Even at $4 a gallon, this is more than I pay for gas--way more.

In January the results of an audit of UTA were released with findings that really dismayed me. I won't put in quotes but basically ridership on a bus has to be 21 people per route in order to better the emissions which would be puffed out by those 21 people driving their cars. Average bus ridership in Salt Lake City is 8.1 per route. Thus bus emissions are much worse than the cars those riders would be driving.
(Okay, one quote from the audit: "The 461 tons of NOx pollution created by diesel buses exceed the 164 tons of NOx its passengers would have created if they had commuted in a passenger car. As a result, the added pollution created by buses outweigh the gains made by light rail and vanpool. The data suggests that if more riders used transit, including buses, it would result in better outcomes for air quality. However, at current ridership levels, transit is a net polluter.")

Bus service is terrible, with few routes (and being cut all the time) and those only on major streets.

I'll stick to my car.

Rant over. What does a bus ride cost where you live?

Susan
It's a dollar in Lexington, Kentucky, but they make no profit. The government funds it through our tax monies, as I understand it.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Missy - good luck finding a 150cc scooter for under $1,500 new, but I've seen used ones in that range.. The new Honda Metropolitan at 49cc is $1,800 or so new around here. If you've not driven a 49cc scooter recently, they're much better than they used to be. According to unnamed (not me, really, I'm not that much of a mechanic) sources, an unregulated 49cc scooter these days, especially if a 2 stroke engine, performs on par with a 150cc cycle from the 70s.

Me, I'm too lazy for 2 stroke engines (and hate mixing oil and gas), so I'm looking for a 4 stroke 49cc. Plus, most states don't regulate 49cc scooters so no license plate, registration, or inspections are necessary which saves bucks. All we need in MO is a valid car driver's license - not even a cycle license.

Eric
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

If you were even lazier, you could get an electric scooter and not pump gas at all.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

J-dub wrote:It was fun, and at $5 it was a lot cheaper than me driving to Ogden alone, and faster since Friday trafiic on I-15 at 5:30pm is typically really bad. The train station in Ogden is only about 4 blocks from the session venue which is nice. A lot of folks have expressed interest in taking the train next month, who knows maybe we will entertain the pasengers with a few tunes next time
When is that session, John? Many people? Nice variety of instruments? I would definitely be interested in going.
(Are you still in Sugarhouse? I'm on 9th East at about 3900 South)

Susan
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I.D.10-t wrote:If you were even lazier, you could get an electric scooter and not pump gas at all.
If it went faster and could do so carrying my 9 year old son with me, I'd consider it, but a nice 2 seat scooter with foot pegs seems safer.

Eric