The Andromeda Crap

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Andromeda Crap

Post by Dale »

Ok. I really shouldn't be surprised that a 4-hour TV movie remake of "The Andromeda Strain" would kinda stink. The irritating thing is that I'd give the first half a B- or so, which was enough to make me waste two hours on the 2nd half, which was an abomination.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

My husband wanted to watch that but opted for "Recount" instead last night. Now that I read your opinion I'm glad since Recount was good. :)
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Thomaston
antispam: No

Post by Thomaston »

I read a review last week that made mention of some sci fi elements thrown in, about the virus coming from the future through a wormhole, or something along those lines. That was enough for me to pass.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Thanks Dale. Now I'm not sorry I forgot it was on.
Read the book years ago. Liked it. But I kind of figured
there wouldn't be too much of a relationship.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Thomaston wrote:I read a review last week that made mention of some sci fi elements thrown in, about the virus coming from the future through a wormhole, or something along those lines. That was enough for me to pass.
Yeah. I wish I'd read the review.
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

As soon as they uttered 'singularity' I knew there was no hope. And yet I watched it to the end anyway.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

I know it's a generalisation, but I'm tempted to suggest that "remake" was the clue you missed, Dale.

Remakes and sequels (but mostly remakes) do not have a good hit-rate in my experience.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

"Four Hour Made-for-TV Movie" is a clue as well, I'd say.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Flogging Jason
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flogging Jason »

I fell asleep before watching the second part(largely due to libations) but I guess I didn't miss much. I've read the book a couple of times and it's an excellent read. However, the movie didn't do justice to the images the book gave me. I got the sense they were trying to "modernize" the story a little bit since it was written a long time ago(even though Crichton writes with a good eye for the future).

Reading the book is almost always way more exciting than the film versions. I've always been dissapointed by the Hollywood adaptations of Crichton's novels.

I wonder how he feels about it?
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

After reading the book, it took me fifteen minutes (no, fifteen seconds), to see where this monstrosity was going. Problem is, I had to go occupy myself by playing music while she watched the whole, sad thing. :cry: Then she had to ask a ton of questions about it, like I knew what the TV producers had done. :boggle:

Truly, nothing on earth made for television can be anything but an absolute joke. You make programs for eight year olds, then expect adults to watch them. Problem is, there are a lot of adults out here who are eight years old in their minds.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I found it by accident whilst channel surfing.

"Run the test on a fresh sample of Andromeda!...*gasp* It doesn't respond like the other. It's like they're communicating, yet it came from an isolated batch. How can this be?"

It's like the Borg, you block. Helloooo...you're in a sci-fi movie....you have seen one before, haven't you? I thought to myself, and went back to watching Jackass.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Definitely another example of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
And I'll direct you to the mini-series remakes of Salem's Lot and The Shining for further examples (although, in all fairness, those re-makes were actually more faithful to the source material that the originals. They just had no soul).
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Thomaston wrote:I read a review last week that made mention of some sci fi elements thrown in, about the virus coming from the future through a wormhole, or something along those lines.
Good grief. Does Michael Crichton sign off on this stuff???