Death is permanent, I submit.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

BillChin wrote:Don't forget... Walt Disney. I believe they and many others are on ice waiting for technology to advance far enough to bring them back, or at least their memories.
I don't believe this. As I child I went to Disney on Ice many times, and I never once saw Walt's head sliding around the rink...

Eric
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

peeplj wrote:You are trying to define something by its absence, and as has been mentioned before, that's a very difficult thing for some folks to do.
Huh?
peeplj wrote:Just my $.02.
Maybe you could save up a bit before posting.
/Bloomfield
WhistlingArmadillo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Death is permanent, I submit.

Post by WhistlingArmadillo »

peeplj wrote:A more reasonable explanation for the Lazarus story is that the fellow was never dead. Even in our own time people are occasionally believed to be dead, when suddenly they wake up or begin to move.

Probably the bit about him getting smelly was added after-the-fact, simply because burial of the living was probably quite common then, as it was even as late as the 18th and 19th centuries.

--James
Reasonable? Telling them to uncork the grave after 4 days and voila! he wasn't really dead after all? If you're going to accept a miracle like this, you might as well accept the whole thing...
At the end of it all, I want to be told "Well done". I don't want to _be_ well done!
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Orville Redenbacher died in 1995, yet, I saw him advertising his popcorn on TV tonight. Now explain that, if you can.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orville_Redenbacher
pastorkeith

Post by pastorkeith »

"Death is Permanent"
As are far too many marker pens, crayon stains on clothing after going through the clothes drier, and the scar on my knuckle from an unfortunate incident slicing tomatoes as an irrepressible teen at a local burger establishment.
pastorkeith
"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love."-- Mother Teresa
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

WhistlingArmadillo wrote:
peeplj wrote:A more reasonable explanation for the Lazarus story is that the fellow was never dead. Even in our own time people are occasionally believed to be dead, when suddenly they wake up or begin to move.

Probably the bit about him getting smelly was added after-the-fact, simply because burial of the living was probably quite common then, as it was even as late as the 18th and 19th centuries.

--James
Reasonable? Telling them to uncork the grave after 4 days and voila! he wasn't really dead after all? If you're going to accept a miracle like this, you might as well accept the whole thing...
I dunno. So long as there was a source of water, four days would be doable. And I can assure you I'd be smelly.
Doug_Tipple wrote:Orville Redenbacher died in 1995, yet, I saw him advertising his popcorn on TV tonight. Now explain that, if you can.
Those ads are too creepy. Some of the Orvilles are obviously CG, and others seem to be old footage. They're both creepy. It's like commercial necromancy. [zombie]"Buy my popping corn."[/zombie]

*shudder*
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Nanohedron wrote:
WhistlingArmadillo wrote:

--James
I dunno. So long as there was a source of water, four days would be doable. And I can assure you I'd be smelly.
Doug_Tipple wrote:Orville Redenbacher died in 1995, yet, I saw him advertising his popcorn on TV tonight. Now explain that, if you can.
Those ads are too creepy. Some of the Orvilles are obviously CG, and others seem to be old footage. They're both creepy. It's like commercial necromancy. [zombie]"Buy my popping corn."[/zombie]

*shudder*
And...

I saw Colonel Sanders having a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I would expect nothing less of him, of course. His hair always was perfect.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Sandy McLeod

Post by Sandy McLeod »

Nanohedron wrote:I would expect nothing less of him, of course. His hair always was perfect.
And I understand the pina coladas are not bad either.

Sandy
Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I'll take your word for it, not being all that wild about Piña Coladas, myself. I was at a Trader Vic's, once. It was okay; it made me think of Applebee's, but for the Parrothead crowd and more expensive. It was a while back, but if memory serves, I think they may have had Guinness. That's always good. :wink:

Colonel Sanders with a Piña Colada at Trader Vic's: the vignette is just so...right. It's sort of like the Elysian Fields for the celebrity departed. I see him alternately wearing an open-necked Hawaiian shirt, shorts and sandals, and his trademark snappy white linen suit getup with the ribbon string tie. I wish he'd make up his mind.