For All History Buffs -- Graphically Disturbing Footage

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Will O'B wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:
I know the idea of surrender was the Emperor's. Several higher-up military leaders opposed it at first to the point of trying to sabotage it. I still wonder why the Emperor would not have held onto what he was surely taught about death being more honorable than defeat. What was it that was stronger than this ideal and which ultimately led him to unconditionally surrender his country to a race that the Japanese considered their inferiors? :-?
I don't know much about the emperor, except that he got
on the radio and told the people that he wasn't a god,
just a man.

I would suppose that, seeing defeat was inevitable and
that Japan was about to be blown off the face of the
earth, he felt a responsibility to his people to end
the war. He saw himself not as a soldier in combat
but as ruler who had a duty to save his
people.
And nobody was in a position to order him
to go on fighting.
Will O'B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

cowtime wrote:
Will O'B wrote: I still wonder why the Emperor would not have held onto what he was surely taught about death being more honorable than defeat. What was it that was stronger than this ideal and which ultimately led him to unconditionally surrender his country to a race that the Japanese considered their inferiors? :-?
...sometimes those who are quiet willing for others to die in war are not that inclined to sacrifice themselves ?
That double standard does seem to have a certain universality and timelessness doesn't it?

I'm sure the Emperor wondered at the time of surrender, however, if his life would be spared by the allied executioners. He was, but many of the military leaders and those found guilty of war crimes did not get off so comfortably.
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

Will O'B wrote: I'm sure the Emperor wondered at the time of surrender, however, if his life would be spared by the allied executioners. He was, but many of the military leaders and those found guilty of war crimes did not get off so comfortably.
I´ve read about this. It was a decision made by the U.S. authorities, and probably by the president in the end. They were quite simply afraid of the reaction from the japanese people and ruling class if the emperor was executed. One might wonder if the occupation would have been so smooth if Truman have had Hirohito executed in the same way the U.S. had Saddam executed. I guess it´s a big difference in executing a living god and a despicable old and hated former dictator in a third world country!

It´s strange that war criminals are only found on the loosing side of a conflict?!
The future is bright - let´s buy shades!
http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin/wh ... usclassics
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

falkbeer wrote:It´s strange that war criminals are only found on the loosing side of a conflict?!
Naw....it's an important part of the definition!
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

falkbeer wrote:It´s strange that war criminals are only found on the loosing side of a conflict?!
Yeah, I know what you mean. Another thing that I try to keep in mind is that it's typically the winner who writes (or rewrites) the history books.
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Denny wrote:
Naw....it's an important part of the definition!
Sure, just as the winners "liberate" a country while the losers "conquer".
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm