We've got Opossums!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

We've got Opossums!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I haven't managed to get a picture yet but in the last week we have aquired a batch of Opossums.

Please note, these are "Opossums" as opposed to the Australian "Possum".

We've seen as many as three at a time. They've been on our porch several nights in a row. I'm not sure why because we don't put edible stuff on the porch. They're cute little critters and I think I know where they live.

I've lived in this same place for 20 years and until last week I've seen one opossum. Now we have them in bunches.

I put some bread and cherry pie out by their presumed dwelling and the next day the food was gone.

I'm hoping to get them domesticated and then implant electrodes in their brains and turn them into instruments of my evil bidding.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

FlyingC wrote:I'm hoping to get them domesticated and then implant electrodes in their brains and turn them into instruments of my evil bidding.
:thumbsup:

Ah, the joys of global warming.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

djm wrote:
FlyingC wrote:I'm hoping to get them domesticated and then implant electrodes in their brains and turn them into instruments of my evil bidding.
:thumbsup:

Ah, the joys of global warming.

djm
Opossums have been migrating north long before the fear mongering began.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: We've got Opossums!

Post by anniemcu »

Flyingcursor wrote:I haven't managed to get a picture yet but in the last week we have aquired a batch of Opossums.

We've seen as many as three at a time. They've been on our porch several nights in a row. I'm not sure why because we don't put edible stuff on the porch. They're cute little critters and I think I know where they live.

I've lived in this same place for 20 years and until last week I've seen one opossum. Now we have them in bunches.

I put some bread and cherry pie out by their presumed dwelling and the next day the food was gone.

I'm hoping to get them domesticated and then implant electrodes in their brains and turn them into instruments of my evil bidding.
They will attempt to eliminate the first two steps and get directly to the third. P.S. - they don't cotten to middlemen.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Flyingcursor

Post by Flyingcursor »

anniemcu wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:I haven't managed to get a picture yet but in the last week we have aquired a batch of Opossums.

They will attempt to eliminate the first two steps and get directly to the third. P.S. - they don't cotten to middlemen.
I hoped you'd see this! You mean they can become evil minons on their own? Cool!
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Become?

:twisted:
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Denny

Post by Denny »

oh, grasshopper.......

FC will figure it out after a bit
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Flyingcursor wrote:
djm wrote: Ah, the joys of global warming.
djm
So has the climate.

GCC 'began' at the start of the Industrial revolution.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

Flyingcursor wrote:Please note, these are "Opossums" as opposed to the Australian "Possum".
Ah, yes. You have the Irish variety of the clan. I believe the correct nomenclature is "O'Possum." :D
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
missy

Post by missy »

Will O'B wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:Please note, these are "Opossums" as opposed to the Australian "Possum".
Ah, yes. You have the Irish variety of the clan. I believe the correct nomenclature is "O'Possum." :D
no, the correct nomenclature is "those (*&*^*&*& got in the garbage again"......

......unless it was the raccoons.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Someone I know suspected one was getting in through the cat flap every now and then to enjoy a meal of cat kibble. The cats didn't mind much. One night, the opossum emptied out a bottom drawer in the kitchen for the purposes of nesting in it.

By the time my friend discovered this the next morning, Possie had a litter of little ones. Being reluctant to disturb them, she left them alone. Possie went out at night to do whatever possums do in the night, leaving the little ones under the watchful care of my friend, who soon found herself watching television with them draped over her knees and being awakened at intervals to provide fresh installments of comestibles.

Possie eventually introduced them to the great outdoors, at which point they preferred to live in the trees. But they still came in for dinner.

You're the one they're going to domesticate, my friend. That cherry pie assured it.
Cotelette d'Agneau
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

True confessions...

When DH and I first procured our property out here in the boonies, we were poor as the proverbial churchmice, and the winter was quite close at hand. We did a bit of unorthodox thinking (imagine that!) and managed to have a bus towed to the site, which we set about making reasonably 'homey'. After the initial shock of the surrounding community, hahah! and the 'tours' of cars and farm trucks 'just happening down' the one way road to get a look at the crazies in the bus, we actually took up a fairly comfy life for two, plus 6 cats. The 6 small fuzzies necessitated a 'cat-door', which I fashioned by sawing a medium sized hole in the back door and fastening a fairly stiff flap of carpet over it on both sides. Voila! instant feline egress. Of course, it didn't take long for the local wildlife to discover that the tantilizing smell of commercial cat kibble was coming from inside the giant cracker tin with windows, and they set about figuring the way in.

In the interests of maximizing space, we had built the bed at that end of the bus as well. It wasn't too bothersome to have the cats make their way through by going under or over the ed, as they often stayed to purr and cuddle, ... and groom... ew... but all in all, it was quite cosy and acceptable. The tiny woodstove kept us warm and the pallet porch with clear plastic 'greenhouse' afforded an amazing level of comfort, wile the foil-faced insulation on the outhouse walls put the slow on the icy winter constitutionals. Alas, the wily wildies finally managed to discover the trick to getting through the cat door, which we discovered by way of the loud hissing and the sudden heaviness of a few of the 'cats' going over us on the bed one night. :-? :o :evil: :swear: and the swinging of the broom and throwing of shoes convinced them to leave. For a while. A short while. They became rather difficult to dissuade, and we became more insistent, resulting in the, we thought, rather severe throttling of a couple of them, and the tossing out, quite unceremoniously of said visitors, with boots and broomhandles laid on to further 'impress' the message clearly on their 'persons'. Alas, it seems that the more you 'impress upon' them, the more clearly they remember where to come back to the next night. :boggle: :swear: It was a long winter, and I will not trouble you with the eventualities, as they are rather foggy, and distasteful, but we did start construction on the interim dwelling space very early the following spring. I have had a love/hate relationship with o'possums ever since. :)

anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I don't reckon migration had much to do with it... but I got possums at my house too.

Reasonable person
Walden
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

s1m0n wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:
djm wrote: Ah, the joys of global warming.
djm
So has the climate.

GCC 'began' at the start of the Industrial revolution.
If it started so long ago, why were the environmental nuts screaming about "global ice age" as little as 30 years ago? Kinda took them a while to figure it out, didn't it? Or maybe you are wrong - Again.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

You mean they can become evil minons on their own? Cool!
The come out of the pouch that way. With a full set of very sharp little teeth that they are not reluctant to use at any and every opportunity. The only babies I ever hand raised that I never felt were domesticated in the least.

I like the things anyway.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West