On pronunciations, family trees, and other bicycles...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
The Laughing Imp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

On pronunciations, family trees, and other bicycles...

Post by The Laughing Imp »

I was curious about a name that's been proposed as being a distant relative of mine: Sir Charles Coote. Yeah, I know. He's a real blighter.

My last name is Cootey (pronounced like that affectionate little bedbug - koo' tee) Since I'm a Yank, my question is for people on the other side of the pond. How do you pronounce "Coote"? Is it "koot" or "koo' tee"? Maybe it's even pronounced "smith". I'd really like to know. Thanks.
Lovin' life with my Burke DBS

Looking for a Clarke Enchanted Tinwhistle (http://is.gd/1nPK). PM me if you have one for sale...
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Re: On pronunciations, family trees, and other bicycles...

Post by Walden »

The Laughing Imp wrote:I was curious about a name that's been proposed as being a distant relative of mine: Sir Charles Coote. Yeah, I know. He's a real blighter.

My last name is Cootey (pronounced like that affectionate little bedbug - koo' tee) Since I'm a Yank, my question is for people on the other side of the pond. How do you pronounce "Coote"? Is it "koot" or "koo' tee"? Maybe it's even pronounced "smith". I'd really like to know. Thanks.
Where across the pond? I take it he had a knighthood.
Reasonable person
Walden
The Laughing Imp

Re: On pronunciations, family trees, and other bicycles...

Walden wrote:Where across the pond? I take it he had a knighthood.
He was a baron in Ireland (famous for spearing babies), but he was from England.

Looking for a Clarke Enchanted Tinwhistle (http://is.gd/1nPK). PM me if you have one for sale...
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Didn't Carolan write a tune for a Sir Charles Coote?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
djm

Post by djm »

It's pronounced "koot" as far as I know, but if you want to do one of those "<A HREF="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keeping_Up ... s">Keeping Up Appearances</A>" trips, you could always pronounce it "koot-ay". :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
The Laughing Imp

chas wrote:Didn't Carolan write a tune for a Sir Charles Coote?
Yes, he did.

The Laughing Imp

djm wrote:It's pronounced "koot" as far as I know, but if you want to do one of those "<A HREF="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keeping_Up ... s">Keeping Up Appearances</A>" trips, you could always pronounce it "koot-ay". :wink:

djm
We used to joke about pronouncing our name that way.

The names "Cootey" and "Coote" are obviously similar, but if they are pronounced differently then there is a great possibility that they are not in fact related at all.

I'll hold out until I hear from somebody from Ireland. :)

Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Speaking as one from Ireland and in the U.K. I would pronounce it "coot". As in, "bald as a coot" or "I come from haunts of coot and hern".

Even if your name is pronounced differently, I wouldn't rule out the possible connection. People make all kinds of variations in pronunciation.
E.G. Menzies, pronounced "Mingus" in Scotland. Once you have an unlettered person announcing their name to a careless clerk, all kinds of variations occur. Especially in a different country.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Speaking as one from Ireland and in the U.K. I would pronounce it "coot". As in, "bald as a coot" or "I come from haunts of coot and hern".

Even if your name is pronounced differently, I wouldn't rule out the possible connection. People make all kinds of variations in pronunciation.
E.G. Menzies, pronounced "Mingus" in Scotland. Once you have an unlettered person announcing their name to a careless clerk, all kinds of variations occur. Especially in a different country.
Menzies is pronounced on the home soil as "Mingus"?? I did not know that.

It's not outside the realm of possibility that Cootey is a New World repronunciation of the spelling of Coote.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Yep. Charlie Mingus might have been a Menzies in slightly different circumstances.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Denny

Post by Denny »

The Laughing Imp

Nanohedron wrote:It's not outside the realm of possibility that Cootey is a New World repronunciation of the spelling of Coote.
Not outside the realm. Not at all. Especially since they differ in spelling by one letter. Since "Cootey" vanishes from Ireland in the mid 1800's it would make my genealogy job easier if we tied in with Coote. I just don't want to use wishful thinking.

So "koot" is it? Thanks for the input.

Too bad we haven't found any Cootes in Co. Louth...that'd make my job REALLY easy. ;)

Thanks for the contribution, Denny. I wonder. Do coots eat cooties?

izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Denny wrote:Image
What?? No clicky? :o
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Denny

Post by Denny »

:oops: oh dear :oops:
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Denny wrote::oops: oh dear :oops:
No, it's not a deer! It's a coot...duh! Although this is a better picture of one:

But that wasn't the point. I decide to click the darn thing, and there's no clicky to click. And you wonder why I've become lazy :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.