Can Anyone Else Smell The Deathly Hallows? :o

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

How will you read HP 7?

I won't
35%
I will buy the book eventually -- no big hurry
16%
I will buy the book at Friday midnight and read nonstop
19%
I will read over several days
26%
I will read it aloud with / to children
4%
I will skip ahead and read the last chapter first
No votes

Total votes: 57

fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

Cranberry wrote:
AaronMalcomb wrote:appropriate eye-candy age
What does this mean? Does it mean that when women reach a certain age they are no longer attractive?
No, it means if he admits to finding Hermione Granger (played
by Emma Watson) attractive he will be called a pedophile.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Caroluna wrote:Suddenly the ad up at the top of the page asks "Are you the world's best mom?"

:lol:
No. It says "What does your jawline say about your sensuality?"
As I do not particularly like my jawline, I'd prefer not to know.

As for Lily Potter--Yes, she is definitely presented as a lovely woman, but as she is deceased, we're not really talking about a movie babe, or a character who is involved in the action and considered beautiful by the other characters. With the obvious exception of Fleur.

Which brings me to my main casting quibble.
I was surprised by Fleur. Not that Clémence Poésy who plays her isn't attractive--she is, but she's normal attractive imho, not someone who's going to have them dropping in the aisles.
I guess the extraordinary effect she has on males is meant to be magical in nature, and therefore not as visually obvious as I pictured it--at least as portrayed in the film.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

emmline wrote:Not that Clémence Poésy who plays her isn't attractive--she is, but she's normal attractive imho, not someone who's going to have them dropping in the aisles.
My thoughts exactly. I expected the veela to be presented with some pretty heavy make-up jobs to make their form of beauty as unearthly as described. Instead we just got a bunch of pudgy teenaged kids from anywhere.

Harry's mom looks okay, but that would be taking "drop-dead gorgeous" too far. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

gonzo914 wrote:
Since you're in the UK, you are five to eight hours ahead of us in the US. You could get your copy, open it to the last chapter, check out who dies, and then post it here so I don't have to stay up until midnight. Then I could sleep in on Saturday and amble over to the bookstore at my leisure.

(And if you were really a :devil: , that's exactly what you would do.)
Or just find a leaked copy online.

Story Here
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

emmline wrote:More to the point in HP films, there really haven't been female characters who are older than teen who aren't really strangely eccentric in some way--
That's a much better way to state what I meant.

Your Julie Christies and Helen Mirrens are proof that there doesn't have to be an age limit on sex-symbol status.

As for the veela matter, I'm kind of glad the film didn't really go there. Even if they succeeded it would have been a speed bump.
Cass

Post by Cass »

Caroluna wrote:
In a complete change of subject, the Kid has decided he wants to go to the bookstore dressed as a Dementor, and furthermore, that he'd like me to go as Professor Sprout :lol:

I have a long shabby green dress, so all I have to do is smear some potting soil on it. And I need a Mandrake plant. I figure pantyhose stuffed with cotton will be a good start.....the things we do in pursuit of "childhood memories" :boggle: :lol:
If any of us are going to HP parties/ bookstore openings etc, etc, please take a few silly photos of your costumes...we can all have a snigger together at them later!!

Cass.

jkwest
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Post by jkwest »

I will probably pick it up within the week...my oldest boy is waiting for it and the other two are slowly catching up. I have read all of them, at first to make sure they were appropriate, and then because I enjoyed the easy reading and storyline...

Doesn't quite meet my reading expectations like The Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin, though..thats the series I'm dying for completion.. :swear:
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Cass wrote:
Caroluna wrote:
the Kid has decided he wants to go to the bookstore dressed as a Dementor, and furthermore, that he'd like me to go as Professor Sprout :lol:
If any of us are going to HP parties/ bookstore openings etc, etc, please take a few silly photos of your costumes...we can all have a snigger together at them later!!

Cass.

Yup, we'll have to do that... I can't believe I got talked into this!

Kevin and I just made the Mandrake, out of an old moldy gourd, silk greenery, some pantyhose stuffed with brown fabric, and lots of raffia twine. The leaves aren't the right shape but I don't think anyone will notice.

Hardest part was getting the wrinkly crotch of the Mandrake to NOT look rude in any way. :o

Now all I have to do is practice my lines. "You grasp your mandrake firmly, pull it sharply out of the pot...and now you dunk it down into the other pot. Remember to use your earmuffs for audit'ry protection" :lol:

I can't believe I got talked into this...
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

emmline wrote: Which brings me to my main casting quibble.
I was surprised by Fleur. Not that Clémence Poésy who plays her isn't attractive--she is, but she's normal attractive imho, not someone who's going to have them dropping in the aisles.
Oh I so agree. She's supposed to have a sheet of platinum blonde hair. They gave her more like a pillowcase. :lol:

The actress conveyed someone who is snooty and intimidating. But I pictured more dazzling rather than intimidating.

And wasn't Fleur supposed to be really tall?

BTW--
Should we ask the Mods to lock this thread as of midnight? Or we could all make a pact with each other not to give any hints.
Would "I loved it, I laughed, I cried" be considered giving spoilers?
emmline

Post by emmline »

Maybe we can revert to this method:
If you want to say anything that even hints of a revelation, you must hide it in white letters, like this:
I think Harry is going to marry Neville and Ginny is going to marry Trevor the toad.

You will not know what I said there unless you quote me or select the text.

Or are other people too worried about your own penchant for peeking?

oops. Yes you will. Because this is in a blue box. nuts.
Last edited by emmline on Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

djm wrote:
emmline wrote:Not that Clémence Poésy who plays her isn't attractive--she is, but she's normal attractive imho, not someone who's going to have them dropping in the aisles.
My thoughts exactly. I expected the veela to be presented with some pretty heavy make-up jobs to make their form of beauty as unearthly as described. Instead we just got a bunch of pudgy teenaged kids from anywhere.

Harry's mom looks okay, but that would be taking "drop-dead gorgeous" too far. :D

djm
I understood the Veela thing to be more spell than actual appearance. Theyir presence makes the guys go all stupid and *see* them as the most wonderful/beautiful/desirable/must-be-impressed-at-all-costs thing in the world ... in the book, when they were exposed for that short moment of skirmish at the World Quiddich match, they reverted to the horrid little thingies they really are for just a moment before they remembered their facade.
Last edited by anniemcu on Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Cass

Post by Cass »

I promise that I won't give anything away, coz I wouldn't want anyone to spoil it for me....it'll be in all the newspapers by tomorrow anyway...people won't be able to stop themselves. :(

I haven't seen the new film yet. That's for next week!! Can't wait!

As far as my costume goes...I'm aiming for "slightly older veela" kind of look, but I'll end up looking like Draco's long lost aunt!!!

Caroluna...you've got to take a photo of that mandrake!!!

Cass. :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Caroluna wrote:BTW--
Should we ask the Mods to lock this thread as of midnight? Or we could all make a pact with each other not to give any hints.
Would "I loved it, I laughed, I cried" be considered giving spoilers?
Lock it? No way. I have no investment whatsoever in this. Make your pacts and oaths, be honorable unto them - or not - and we'll see the stuff that all you HP enthusiasts are made of. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I think he adopts the additional name "Lovecraft" and spends the rest of his life writing horror stories...
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

emmline wrote:Maybe we can revert to this method:
If you want to say anything that even hints of a revelation, you must hide it in white letters, like this...
The best way, emm, is to do a quote box, which will always
be a white background, then do the white text. Thuswise:
Spoiler alert!!! Read at your own risk, etc. wrote:I think Harry is going to marry Neville and Ginny is going to marry Trevor the toad.