Dale asks for a very special favor

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Dale asks for a very special favor

Post by Dale »

This post is about a death penalty case and I am aware that I am probably violating my own rule about political and controversial posts by putting it here. I ask for you to indulge me. If you are strongly in favor of the death penalty, the favor I ask is that you disregard this message. For people for or against it, I ask you not to force a lock of this thread by debating the issue here. There are other places to do that and, we've done it before.

I am posting because my friend Darrell Grayson faces execution on July 26th. I have corresponded with Darrell over the years, edited and published his poetry, and become his friend. I was able to have a fine visit with him on Death Row in Alabama a year-and-a-half ago. For reasons too convoluted to go into, the correctional system changed visitation rules so that I have not been able--and will not be able-- to visit again.

I've created a webpage on behalf of Alabama's Project Hope about Darrell's case. Please have a look at it.

http://dalewisely.googlepages.com/darre ... utionalert

You may read elsewhere, and it is true, that Darrell was convicted more than 20 years ago for the rape and murder of an elderly woman. Darrell was 19. I do not know whether my friend Darrell did this terrible thing, or what exactly his part was. I have long been convinced that, even if I believed there is a place for the death penalty, the facts of the case don't warrant its application. I believe many of you, if you read that page, will agree. This is a very problematic case.

Please read it. Do me the honor of not commenting here. (Bump the thread if you're inclined.) Act if you are able. Do not act if that's what your heart and mind dictate. Ask the Governor to permit the execution, even, if you read this material carefully and feel that is the right thing to do.

Thank you.

Dale
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

The things that stands out for me is they should never, never, ever execute a person if without performing DNA testing if it's possible. The possibility of executing an innocent man is too horrendous not to, and to deny DNA testing is unconscionable.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I've never been opposed to the death penalty on principle.

I believe that in some cases where the crime is horrific, where the accused is faced with incontravertible evidence, where DNA and reliable witnesses agree, and there has been a history of serious crimes, that it's OK for an individual to be excused from this planet to go to their eternal reward a little early.

The problem is there are precious few (if any) such cases.

This would certainly not be one of them.

It would be a real travesty of justice for this guy to be executed without his DNA being tested. In fact I believe it would be wrong to execute him even if there were DNA evidence. It's just not that kind of a case.

Dale have you contacted the Alabama legislators in Washington? Does the federal system have no authority to mandate DNA testing. Has the NAACP looked into it? Have you tried Glenn Beck, Oprah? You need a big audience for this thing.

Patrick
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Ditto what Doc said.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

At the risk of being repetitively redundant, I also think there should be DNA testing done. (I think there should be mandatory DNA testing for death-row inmates anyway.)

I do support the death pentalty but only in a few cases where society is clearly in continued danger if the criminal continues to live.

The death penalty is never justified in cases where there is any doubt as to the exact role of the accused in the crime.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Bump.

Sorry to hear you're going through this goody buddy.
Hang in there and keep doing what you know is right; you've got friends behind you.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Jack

Post by Jack »

Tyler Morris wrote:you've got friends behind you.
A great many, in fact.
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

Just sent an email to the Governor and I will follow up with a real letter and phone call. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Doc Jones wrote:I've never been opposed to the death penalty on principle.

I believe that in some cases where the crime is horrific, where the accused is faced with incontravertible evidence, where DNA and reliable witnesses agree, and there has been a history of serious crimes, that it's OK for an individual to be excused from this planet to go to their eternal reward a little early.

The problem is there are precious few (if any) such cases.

This would certainly not be one of them.

It would be a real travesty of justice for this guy to be executed without his DNA being tested. In fact I believe it would be wrong to execute him even if there were DNA evidence. It's just not that kind of a case.

Dale have you contacted the Alabama legislators in Washington? Does the federal system have no authority to mandate DNA testing. Has the NAACP looked into it? Have you tried Glenn Beck, Oprah? You need a big audience for this thing.

Patrick
I agree on all points. There are very specific criteria a case should have to meet in order to merit the ultimate penalty, and this one simply doesn't meet them. Denying this man DNA testing is absolutely unconscionable.

It also bothers me that Alabama refuses to make its lethal injection protocol public. With all that's been called into question about lethal injection in recent months, I think that all states which practice this method of execution should be required to publish their protocols.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

I've sent an email. Keep us informed of developments Dale.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

I don't imagine the views of non-US citizens carry any weight at all but, for what it is worth, I have written.

For those who want to discuss further, we can respect Dale's request not to comment here by going to the existing topic on the C&F Poli forum:

http://cnfpoli.informe.com/thoughts-on- ... dt219.html
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

dale, i sent an e mail to the governor's office. i told him he has no moral right to kill darrell grayson. sometimes i am so ashamed of my country.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
I.D.10-t

Re: Dale asks for a very special favor

Post by I.D.10-t »

Dale wrote: For reasons too convoluted to go into, the correctional system changed visitation rules so that I have not been able--and will not be able-- to visit again.
I do not know the circumstances, but it seems that this should be changed and perhaps it is a free speech thing. Perhaps you should contact the ACLU
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
missy

Post by missy »

Dale - while we have our differences of opinion on the main topic, I completely understand your beliefs in this case and hope you can prevail.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Dale, I'll be sure to give them a call. I'll also see if my wife, who works in law here in Alabama, will pass this along to people. She is pro- death penalty, but that doesn't seem to be the issue. He was given shoddy defense and at the very least deserves a DNA test.
Sadly enough, I think that even in this day and age, a black man here wouldn't have any better chances with an all-white jury.