Britain's Got Talent

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Britain's Got Talent

Post by Wanderer »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k08yxu57NA

This guy is freaking amazing. It makes me weep for our own version of this show.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Man, I was weeping in seconds. Its a good thing I've got the floor fan roaring beside me so I was spared the full effect, else I would have melted away.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Wow! Pretty darned amazing, and cool to see such incredible talent blindside those judges.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

my favorite piece of music anywhere, any genre- it gave me chills and brought a tear to my eye- words fail me .....
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
ketida

Post by ketida »

Amazing, just amazing. I don't even like opera and I was moved almost to tears. Why is our (American) version of this show so pathetic by comparison?
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

ketida wrote:Amazing, just amazing. I don't even like opera and I was moved almost to tears. Why is our (American) version of this show so pathetic by comparison?
I don't know how the British one goes, but I do think that the US one puts far too much emphasis on letting really stupid things get through for the 'trailer trash as entertainment' 'shock' value... 'how stupid can someone actually be and get away with it?' has become an addiction... way too prevalent now. Just my $0.02.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

anniemcu wrote:
ketida wrote:Amazing, just amazing. I don't even like opera and I was moved almost to tears. Why is our (American) version of this show so pathetic by comparison?
I don't know how the British one goes, but I do think that the US one puts far too much emphasis on letting really stupid things get through for the 'trailer trash as entertainment' 'shock' value... 'how stupid can someone actually be and get away with it?' has become an addiction... way too prevalent now. Just my $0.02.
The sad thing is, last season we really enjoyed the show. It was neat to see so many different kinds of talent get the nod, and the audience was really supportive of the contestants...even the rather odd ones . This year it seems like a combination of American Idol and The Gong Show. The audience is rude (often starts booing and signaling for an "X" before the contestant has barely started), and Piers has become an even bigger jerk than last season...rejecting acts because he thinks they'd be better for children than for adults, such as that really good ventriloquist (where in the title does it say "America's Got Adult Entertainment Talent"?) and being just plain NASTY to the children who are competing (Sharon Osborne gets major points from me for walking off the set the other day, when Piers accused a little girl of about seven doing a cheerleader routine of being manipulated by her mother). And so far the only acts that seem to get the nod are R&B singers! I'm really disappointed, because this is one competition that I really enjoyed last season...I was tickled when I heard they were bringing it back. Now I wish they hadn't bothered.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

I haven't been watching it because Piers Morgan and Simon Cowell are vile and odious human beings (especially Piers Morgan).

That was pretty awesome though. Just wish that people performing that sort of thing on TV didn't do that song. I guess it's because they want to do something that people know but ever since Italia 90 (where it was used as the world cup anthem by the BBC) it's the only opera song that ever gets performed on TV.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Re: Britain's Got Talent

Post by Tyler »

Wanderer wrote:..It makes me weep for our own version of this show.
It don't take much to make me weep for american television... :wink:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

While looking up Piers Morgan's wiki entry for some examples in case people asked why I dislike him it amused me greatly to discover someone has written TWAT all the way through it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piers_Morgan

Why in the hell is he a judge on talent shows? He's never worked in that industry or shown any talent of his own?
mukade

Post by mukade »

I saw the clips on Youtube.

Programmes like this have no respect for the people taking part or the audience.

Reality TV lacks one essential element - dignity.

Mukade
djm

Post by djm »

Mukade wrote:Reality TV lacks one essential element - dignity.
You would have to have some reality in it before you can start worrying about ethics or morality.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
mukade

Post by mukade »

djm wrote:
Mukade wrote:Reality TV lacks one essential element - dignity.
You would have to have some reality in it before you can start worrying about ethics or morality.

djm
Exactly.

Mukade
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I've never seen the American or British version of the show, but this reminded me of that great fantasy "They all laughed when I sat down at the piano...." and then you wow everyone in sight. I wonder if the exposure on this show will help him have a career in music---I'm not sure what he needs to do that---more training, guidance---but even if you aren't a big opera star I think there are opportunities to sing with orchestras or other groups although I don't know how full time it would be. It would be interesting to know his background.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Cynth wrote:I've never seen the American or British version of the show, but this reminded me of that great fantasy "They all laughed when I sat down at the piano...." and then you wow everyone in sight. I wonder if the exposure on this show will help him have a career in music---I'm not sure what he needs to do that---more training, guidance---but even if you aren't a big opera star I think there are opportunities to sing with orchestras or other groups although I don't know how full time it would be. It would be interesting to know his background.
It's almost impossible to get a job that will pay the bills in the music business...at least here in the States (unless you're in "popular" music, that is...and even then, it's difficult). Our choir includes two brilliant opera singers and a talented conductor, all of whom have to have a different, full-time job to pay the bills. The opera singers have no trouble getting roles, but the money is pathetic, especially for all the hours they put in.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!