Shooglenifty Anyone?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Shooglenifty Anyone?

Post by Unseen122 »

I love them, have all of their albums including the live ones. Have you heard the new album Troots? I think its amazing, that Luke Plumb is one hell of a player and a great addition to the band. They could not have found a better replacement for Iain McLeod.

For those of you who don't know the Shoogles they are best described as a blend of Scottish trad and various types of music including prog rock, acid jazz, and house/techno one could say this is what would happen if Lunasa met Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. Most of the tunes are written by band members and the lineup is Mandolin, Fiddle, 5 String Banjo, Guitar, Bass, and Drums.
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

No FLUTE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

M
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Trust me a lot of their tunes were not meant to be played on Flute. Michael McGoldrick plays Pipes on one track with them on one of their albums. The tune "Two Fifty to Vigo" on Lunasa's Redwood is a Shoogles tune written by their Fiddler.
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Unseen122 wrote:Trust me a lot of their tunes were not meant to be played on Flute. Michael McGoldrick plays Pipes on one track with them on one of their albums. The tune "Two Fifty to Vigo" on Lunasa's Redwood is a Shoogles tune written by their Fiddler.
Namely Angus R. Grant. A great bloke, fiddler and a great tune as well. Here and there Tom Doorley from Danu has gigged with them if they coincide in the same city. I also miss a flute in the band.

Disclaimer: Not trad. band at all.
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

No pipes, no flute and no whistle.
Still one of the "celtic" bands that is most likely to end up in my CD player, especially at work when everyone else has gone home.
Gets even better when played VERY LOUD :D

Angus is just not a great fiddler and an incarnation of Jesus, his hip moves are as good as Shakira's :wink:

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!