Need help with packaging ideas

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Need help with packaging ideas

Post by Flyingcursor »

Hi Everybody. I've been hanging out at the dulcimer site lately.

Anyway, I've sold my hammered dulcimer and I need to ship it.

I want it packed so well that it couldn't be damaged in a nuclear blast.

I'm shipping the dulcimer, stand and assorted accoutrements and I want to have them in one box.
I've never shipped anything this big or fragile before so I need some tips.
I was thinking about wrapping it in bubble wrap. Where does one obtain bubble wrap in significant quantities?

My idea is to take the stand apart and wrap it separately with said bubble wrap then put the dulcimer on top, also wrapped.

Any other ideas, suggestions?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I'd ask the dulcimer site people - they'd know best about any specifically-dulcimer packing tips.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Any business or office supply store (e.g. Staples) will have bubble wrap, carboard boxes, and other mailing supplies you may need. If you want to go totally psycho you could buy a sheet of 2" thick styrofoam and line the inside of the box with it.

I would suggest finding a reasonable compromise. Shipping the thing should not totally wipe out your profits.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

I've shipped delicate lapidary equipment and pipe organ parts on occasion. one thing i've learned that is no matter what you put around your item, make sure that is does not and cannot touch the box that you ship it in, that way the shock of a drop or fall isn't transferred directly to the instrument.

hope this helps (or adds to) your confusion!

reg
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Whatever you do- pack it extremely well- I can't tell you how many packages I've seen marked "fragile" and by the time we get them they look like someone maybe sat or jumped on them. Horrible.

I'd also insure it to the hilt. That always gives a little incentive to handle a package better during shipment- plus if it does get damaged you have some recourse.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

Most of the time when I've bought instruments from Music123 etc. they are double boxed. The instrument, in the inside box of course, is usually wrapped in a padded bag, not just plastic but sort of a foam (what is that stuff?) Then the box with the instrument is put into another box and the empty space between the 2 boxes is taken up with either those air bags or mushed up paper like newspaper.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

I would probably recommend bubble wrap and a nice snug box with some packing peanuts to fill the void so it doesn't shift around too much inside. Not sure how much your item weighs but make sure you get a box strong enough to carry the weight without bursting. I work for a packaging company and could recommend more expensive alternatives but it may not be worth it money-wise or time-wise.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Thanks all.

I also posted on the dulcimer site but haven't read the responses yet.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm