French made Air Car

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Caroluna
antispam: No

Post by Caroluna »

Tyler Morris wrote:
djm wrote:Trust me, they're a joy to drive. I wouldn't go back to squatting in a sardine can if you paid me. :thumbsup:

djm
What say we have a fundraiser, eh?
Who'll donate to see djm squat in a sardine can? :P
Don't talk that way! It just makes him surly. :o er. :lol:
Rod Sprague
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Rod Sprague »

When I first saw the title of the article, I thought it was about flying cars made in France.
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Rod Sprague wrote:When I first saw the title of the article, I thought it was about flying cars made in France.

:D

<tangent="hey, look what I found while looking for pics of a DeLorean!">
</tangent>
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Oh, lots of crazy cars out on the road.

Tesla Motors is another intriguing startup company, building electric sports cars that use something like 750 cell phone batteries, that do something like 0 to 60 in 9 seconds and get something like 140 "MPG." They're marketing the $80,000 sports car now but plan to market something more affordable if the sportser sells well enough.
Main thing that needs to be done if we want to go EV is to beef up power grids - US grid got a D- grade in an assesment of infrastructure. Also we'd need an awful lot of fresh juice.
This applies to air cars as well - production and cost of running innumerable compressors. Whether they'd be more of a burden than oil refineries (which use hideous amounts of electricity) I couldn't tell you.
missy

Post by missy »

and at least in this area, electricity is produced by coal - so you are just trading one unrenewable fuel for another.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

We have more than enough coal to give us time to develop alternatives, energy wise. I think the big issue will be what burning coal does carbon dioxide wise. Also, coal mining in not one of the more benign activities, ecologically.

If I remember correctly, a power plant using the efficiencies of scale, combined with the fact it can be built to be energy efficient without being too heavy due to the fact it doesn’t have to move its own weight about, makes it much more efficient, unlike a car. Coal fired electricity electric cars are actually less of a carbon dioxide source than standard cars, from what I can recall.