Anybody here play bones?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Rod Sprague
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Rod Sprague »

No one has played Bones since DeForest Kelley died.
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Ha!

Historically, percussion discussions (say 'percussion discussions' over and over for a few seconds) have found a home in the ITM forum.
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

Rod Sprague wrote:No one has played Bones since DeForest Kelley died.
"Dammit Spock! I'm a doctor, not a musician!"

"And get your Vulcan harp out of here!"

(say THAT out loud a few times.)
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

That's hillarious!!

I use the actual ox bone bones from Lark in the Morning. What kind of bones are your own favorites?
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

cavefish wrote:http://bones.jeffleff.com/index.html
way better
Thanks...that's me. Yep, Mr. Enders, I was away for a while.
Tim2723 wrote:I use the actual ox bone bones from Lark in the Morning. What kind of bones are your own favorites?
I tend to like a lighter wooden pair in my right hand and a heavier pair in my left. I don't do as much with the left, I use it more for accents, so I like a more resonant sound. Purpleheart may be my favorite "lead bone" wood -- it's nice and resonant without the bright, glassy sound of ebony or other very heavy, dense woods. Bone bones can be very nice, but they're also more tempearmental. The ox bones from Lark in the Morning are very heavy and more than a little awkward -- a nice sound, but not good for fast stuff.

I'm still planning on making a bones video sometime soon, half instructional and half performances. Suggestions for what to include would be appreciated. I did just record a little jam with a friend of mine on guitar, which I'll probably load onto YouTube.

I really don't play Irish all that much, more old-time and ragtime and blues and stuff. I've been playing 11 or 12 years. Lately I've been working more on concertina, dancing, and some other stuff.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Let me put in a plug for Jeff's bones: I have a pair made from Macacauba that he made for me and they're gorgeous. He sent me a chunk of the same wood and I made him a whistle.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

BoneQuint wrote: ...Bone bones can be very nice, but they're also more tempearmental. The ox bones from Lark in the Morning are very heavy and more than a little awkward -- a nice sound, but not good for fast stuff...
Maybe that's why I'm not making too much progress. I'll have to try a different, lighter set. Thanks. I'll look forward to your video as well!
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

BoneQuint wrote:I did just record a little jam with a friend of mine on guitar, which I'll probably load onto YouTube.
And so I have: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCFukAxO_aI