Hilton Statue??? Hunh???

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dwinterfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Hilton Statue??? Hunh???

Post by dwinterfield »

So you've probably seen a blurb somewhere about the Paris Hilton sculpture that a guy created as "a warning against drunk driving". Well I guess that's a good thing. Drunk driving is always a bad idea and warming teenagers of it's risks is always a good idea.

Here's one article's description of the piece and the man who crreated it.
The artist has created a sculpture of the 26-year-old hotel heiress and socialite naked and dead, with cell phone in hand, legs spread and crowned with a tiara.

"The Paris Hilton Autopsy" is a statement about the dangers of drunk driving just as high school prom season rolls around, said Edwards, who also sculpted a giant head of Cuban President Fidel Castro and created a life-size nude of Britney Spears giving birth on a bearskin rug.
Here's a link to the article which has a couple of photos.

http://www.reuters.com/article/entertai ... on_reuters

What I can't figure out is why/how this image will inspire a teenager to to avoid drunk driving. The pose seems somewhat provocative and completely unrelated to drinking or driving. I get the symbolism of the tiarra and the exposed innards. The essential contribution of the dog escapes me. It all seems more suggestive of risky behavior that might occur in the back seat of a car while parked.

I know I'm getting old. I must be more out of touch than I thought.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

well, it's art, innit...

you're not 'sposed to understand it
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

for a while around here the police used to deposit a completely crushed auto on the main entrance of all the highschools for prom season...maybe this is the 21st c version of that...
djm

Post by djm »

You don't seem to understand the artistic process: first we carve/sculpt/paint the naked woman, then we dream up an excuse for having done so. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I guess the dog is her Chihuahua, Tinkerbell.

I'm afraid there's more:
Capla Kesting Fine Art wrote:The PSA [interactive Public Service Announcement] also observes the teen pregnancy crisis associated with alcohol impaired judgment. With Paris's legs splayed in stirrups for postmortem pelvic examination, the "Hilton Autopsy" tragically reveals drunk driving's heartbreaking collateral damage - a "double abortion" of fetal twins discovered in her uterus.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
djm

Post by djm »

... and then there's the gruesome little creep factor .....

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

I'll bet some enterprising marketing person will mass market a hand-sized version with a bottle opener under her butt.

You know for the youth market.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I'd prefer to see her rendered in stripes... or blues, or whatever the prison uniform of current fashiion is. This gal needs some serious 'bringing up short'.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com