I have a musical dog

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

You should spend a little more care to choose the correct music for your canine friends. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

cowtime wrote:Glad to hear that your new buddy is really bonding! I've had very few dogs over the years that would react to music. My skye now apparently enjoys the piano since she comes and lays near whenever I play.

The funniest one is our dachshund mix who use to have a real running"fit" when I'd play Brown Haired Maiden on GHBs. Only that tune- none of the others did a thing. But as soon as I started that one up here he'd come and race all around the yard as long as the tune lasted. Then he'd go on back to what ever he was doing before. I haven't played them in a while, I oughta try it when the weather is nicer and see if he'll do it again.

The skye I have now will do her best to "talk" to us.I've never had one try so hard. All it takes is to talk to her and she really tries- she'll mimic whatever sound I'm making to her-if it's high, she's making whining type sounds, if it's regular conversation tones, she does them, so I can easily imagine how Wiley would make music with you.

Dogs are wonderful!
My last poodle, Cedar, actually could articulate a few words (and used them correctly)...his favorites were "nap" (i.e., getting to come into bed with us), "num num" (that one being obivious) and "out" (he couldn't quite manage the "t" no matter how hard he tried, but he'd stand by the door saying "Ou'! Ou'!" whenever he wanted to go out. It's amazing how vocal some dogs can be!

It's fun to have a singing dog, but God knows how I'll ever get any practicing done! :lol:

Like Jonah (our cat) he also has a relationship with my harp (specifically with my harp case). Usually, when I go to pack the harp away, I either find some of Wiley's chew toys or my cat asleep in the case! Besides that, though, they both will come curl up at my feet as I play, which is a sweet way to spend an afternoon!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

My all time favourite news story was one about a singing dog. The dog sang along with the music that introduced the CBC news on TV. When the music was changed to something new the dog became very upset. The owner said that "it put 'er right off 'er feed." He contacted CBC and they sent him a tape of the old music for the dog to sing with. There was a brief shot of the dog singing. She had more enthusiasm than talent, I'd say.
CountryKitty

Re: I have a musical dog

Post by CountryKitty »

Redwolf wrote:I guess he really IS a California Curly Coated Coyote!
Redwolf

LOL! My family had a coyote/Sheltie cross years ago--outmoused any cat I ever knew, sweet-tempered as you would ever want, and howled when lonely. When my brother took up harmonica she was thrilled! The moment he started to practice she would dash into the room, eyes alight, grinning from ear to ear, and tail going 90mph. She too would match tones with him--if he went up a note, she went too. It was very obvious to everyone that she truly loved the little Sing-a-longs with Russ.
mmccabe

Post by mmccabe »

I used to have a friend who's dog used to howl whenever we used to sing the music from the T.V show Neighbours...
-Maddy
jileha

singing dog

Post by jileha »

My aunt and uncle used to have a St Bernard/Newfoundland mix, a very beautiful and intelligent dog.

When I was playing any instrument, I wouldn't get much of a reaction. But at night, when he was all alone in the storage building where he had an old sofa to sleep on, he would sing occasionally.

There is no way one could describe his activity as howling! He would sing his own meldodies, with very distinct separate notes (no sliding involved) of varying length and intervals. Hauntingly beautiful! :)