I am fed up and I am going.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jbarter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jbarter »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:FoV wasn't in the least happy with the moderation by the moderators when it came to moderating the Poly-con forum... not one iota happy. She was unhappy about it to the max... like, totally unhappy.
But apart from that she's quite happy?
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

jbarter wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:FoV wasn't in the least happy with the moderation by the moderators when it came to moderating the Poly-con forum... not one iota happy. She was unhappy about it to the max... like, totally unhappy.
Funny, she hadn't mentioned being happy to me... :wink: just kiddin' fid
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Caj

Post by Caj »

gonzo914 wrote:Had my proposed Gold Edition Exclusive program been in place, Dale, you would have still been angry, but you would have had 400 dollars to be angry with. That is assuming, of course, that fiddler had bought the Gold membership, but had she not . . . well, then you woudn't have been angry.
Yes, the Politics/Religion/Other Controversial Topics Online Limited Offer Gold Edition Exclusive would offer real financial rewards for what is usually a big pain in the butt.

And I think I really learned something from discussing the idea here with other people. I am deeply impressed by how serious and passionate some people are about our business plan.

Caj
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

jbarter wrote:
She seems to be. Fiddler, are you quite happy apart from not being happy? :P
Caj wrote: And I think I really learned something from discussing the idea here with other people. I am deeply impressed by how serious and passionate some people are about our business plan.

Caj
I am also impressed by it, and especially by your rainbow puke too. :D
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

fiddleronvermouth wrote:
Cynth wrote:I haven't been there for awhile so I haven't seen the behavior that caused this little upset, but people who think the moderators are picking on their side probably could benefit from a vacation. I mean, dang, they've gotten me a few times but it's been pretty clear they roped in a few others too :lol:.
Cynth, perhaps I’m misinterpreting your comments, but you start out telling us you haven't been there enough to know, but then continue by telling us what happened and why. I stand by everything I've said regarding the moderation and I base it on what happened as a regular participant. Steve also bases his opinions on his personal experience, and he feels so strongly that he's withdrawn from the board. Now you say we “probably could benefit from a vacation" based on a hunch you have about what happened without actually knowing for yourself. Do you think that's very useful or constructive? Do you think Steve would appreciate you characterizing his heart-felt and difficult decision to leave the board as just a needed vacation because his reasons were flawed?

I'm trying my best to engage in an honest discussion here about the political forum, and I appreciate the fact that Dale is listening and letting it continue. But telling us we “probably could benefit from a vacation" doesn't exactly seem to me to add anything useful to a community such as this attempting to reconcile something. Just because we have questions and disagreements about how the political forum was moderated doesn’t automatically mean it’s our fault and we should hit the road for our own good. But like I said, I’m probably misinterpreting your comments.
Hi Fiddler. I do appreciate your allowing for a possible miscommunication between us. You have correctly interpreted my comments and we do strongly disagree on this issue.

I read the threads and, on occasion, posted in the PoliCon forum quite regularly until sometime before Christmas---I'm not quite sure when I stopped going, but it was fairly recently. What I wasn't there for was the last month during which these particular troubles arose.

During the time I was there, I never felt there was any action taken by the moderators based on their political beliefs. That is a pretty serious charge in my view. I have not always agreed with what they did, but I never saw any pattern of coming down on people because of their opinions. In my view, threads were locked because of behaviorial problems or because the moderators felt a problem was developing. I do not think it is possible that the moderators suddenly adopted a policy of stamping out liberal opinions during the last month. Steve seems to be saying that he thinks this is what was happening.

My suggestion that taking a vacation might be a good idea was too flippant considering how high people's feelings are running. I wasn't intending to be hurtful. But I do seriously think that if a person feels there is a consistent political bias in the moderation then that person has become so enraged that he or she is not perceiving things correctly. I don't think there can be reconciliation concerning that issue because I think that bias of that sort does not exist in that forum. I think the person who thinks this bias exists should step away from the situation in order to calm down.

The reason I posted those rules was to point out that the moderators will close threads without explanation or discussion. They will also close threads which talk about the closing of threads. That is what the deal is. If a person feels a complete lack of confidence in the judgement of the moderators or feels that there is malign intent on the part of the moderators, then again, I think the only solution is to leave. I think this because, even if I do on occasion disagree with a decision, I have confidence in the integrity of the moderators and I believe I understand the reasons for the rules. Therefore, to me, there is nothing to discuss. I would say that I feel this as strongly as you and Steve feel the opposite.

I fully understand that my perception of the situation is very different from yours. I have to argue from my perceptions as you do from yours. My intention is not to attack any individuals or to minimize sadness of someone being so unhappy that they have to leave, as my first post probably seemed to do, but I honestly do not see an alternative to leaving in these circumstances.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
jkwest
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Post by jkwest »

what if Mr. Shaw and fiddler are the same person!?

wouldn't that be a little bit freaky.... :o
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
oleorezinator wrote:lock it up
into shape
lock it down
get it straight
go backwards
not ahead
try to deflect it
it's not too late
to lock it
lock it good
... well, that just sent me reeling down memory lane. :lol:
as well it should my droogie. :)
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

jkwest wrote:what if Mr. Shaw and fiddler are the same person!?

Not as freaky as it would be if Steve Shaw and Weekenders were the same person.

Or fiddler and brianc.

Add your "Separated at Birth" pairing here, while you can still do it for free.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

gonzo914 wrote:Add your "Separated at Birth" pairing here, while you can still do it for free.
Jerry and Lorenzo?
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Denny

Post by Denny »

jsluder wrote:
gonzo914 wrote:Add your "Separated at Birth" pairing here, while you can still do it for free.
Jerry and Lorenzo?
:lol: bad duck... :lol:
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Frankly, I'm just happy Caj's rainbow vomit isn't ANIMATED. Youch!
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
missy

Post by missy »

gonzo914 wrote:
jkwest wrote:what if Mr. Shaw and fiddler are the same person!?

Not as freaky as it would be if Steve Shaw and Weekenders were the same person.

Or fiddler and brianc.

Add your "Separated at Birth" pairing here, while you can still do it for free.
Well - have ANY of these people been seen at the same time??? Huh??? IF not, then they COULD all be the same person!!!!

I'd try to pass off that harp and I are the same person, but I've paid the man too much money over the years. I do plan on claiming him as a dependant on my taxes someday, however!!!!!!!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
djm

Post by djm »

Hey! JES and Lambchop both "claim" to be in Florida. I wonder if .... Nah! Couldn't be .... :o

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

djm wrote:Hey! JES and Lambchop both "claim" to be in Florida. I wonder if .... Nah! Couldn't be .... :o

djm
Do NOT go there. I'm warning you. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
fiddleronvermouth

Post by fiddleronvermouth »

Well, let's see... what have I learned from this thread?

1. You don't under any circumstances disagree or question the moderation policies. If you do, you face the possibility of being ridiculed by some of the members, and even by the moderators themselves.

2. Even if the moderators request it, do not attempt to discuss the moderation unless you have favorable opinions. Honesty is not a virtue in this case.

3. Even if your case has good evidence to support it, you are expected to leave rather than addressing any discrepancies or double standards you have encountered.

As for my conduct on this thread… I have complimented the moderators on their overall job on the website. My only criticism has to do with the political threads and forums. I have not been confrontational, I have not insulted or ridiculed anyone, and I have done my best to communicate my thoughts in the most honest and respectful way possible.
"Is that stupid? Maybe. But that's the way I am."

~Bill O'Reilly, The O'Reilly Factor for Kids