Have I mentioned that I hate the cold?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

izzarina wrote:
Denny wrote:...but Izz, it fills in the pot holes! ;)
Am I supposed to think more positively now that you've pointed that out to me, Denny? :lol:
yep...ya are! :lol:

doesn't make it any warmer, eh? :wink:
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Re: Have I mentioned that I hate the cold?

Post by avanutria »

izzarina wrote:If Mr. Izz weren't attending nursing school, I think I'd try to persuade him to move to some place much more balmy :P
Like Ireland?
Renn

Post by Renn »

I also live in New York, Syracuse to be exact, and it is cold. A whopping 15 with the wind chill. And it is only going to get worse.

I don't know if it is still true, but I heard that the Army at one point moved their Cold Weather Training Facility from Alaska to Watertown, NY because it gets colder and snowier here.

Lovely place.

I hate Winter.

Renn
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Have I mentioned that I hate the cold?

Post by izzarina »

avanutria wrote:
izzarina wrote:If Mr. Izz weren't attending nursing school, I think I'd try to persuade him to move to some place much more balmy :P
Like Ireland?
I have widgets for the weather here, and for Castlebar, Co. Mayo on my desktop, and believe me it's much more balmy there than it is here ;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

It sounds true to me, Renn. When I lived in Potsdam, I noticed that the temperatures were often colder than those in parts of Alaska. On the good side, however, it's -21 in Barrow, AK. Now that's cold! (Though I did live through colder temperatures in Potsdam my first year there: -38 before the windchill!).

You must live somewhere near me, Renn...I live in Liverpool, so I'm not too far away from Syracuse.

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
Denny

Post by Denny »

The wife has stories about Watertown in the winter, the barn, speaches to no one about the barn rules and what would happen to the army boys if they broke them. :lol:
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Yep, 18 below is definitely cold :lol: . It's gotten to around 15 below here maybe once in 15 years. We'll get down to 10 below a few times each winter I guess. We go to northern Minnesota each year around Christmas and it can get pretty cold up there---I remember a -15 high in the daytime, no wind, and a -30 night. You do have to sort of plan your moves when it's that cold :lol: .

This probably won't help, but pretty much all winter I start out the day dressed really warm and sometimes that helps keep me from getting cold---even when the heat is turned up I can get cold in the house. I wear long underwear made by REI, the medium weight and wool socks. I don't wait till I'm cold to put on a sweat shirt. I just put it on over my long underwear and shirt right when I get dressed. But it is sort of a hassle and putting all your stuff on to go outside can be a major hassle---and remember, go to the bathroom first! I don't mind the cold so much though as long as I have the clothes for it. I find myself complaining much more in the summer when it is hot and humid---I turn into one cranky person when I'm hot. People seem to be real different about what bothers them most. Good luck!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Renn

Post by Renn »

@Crysania: I live in Camillus, so yes, we are pretty close to each other.
Do you play publicly anywhere? I am pretty much just starting to put some serious effort into the whistle, although I have dabbled for awhile. Also, have you found anywhere locally that stocks whistles?

As for the weather, a couple of years ago it got down to -35 or so here for a couple of nights in a row. I work at nights, and at times I have to be outside. Man, that sucked. My exposed flesh just hurt, couldn't feel my fingers, etc.

Glad that hasn't happened recently.

Renn
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

I grew up in Camillus, Renn, and my parents still live there. How ironic!

There are a couple sessions around. I used to go to the larger one that's open to anyone. It's on Sundays (4-7pm). 1st Sunday of the month is at the Half Penny pub in Armory Square and the 3rd Sunday of the month is at Johnston's Ballybay, which is on the west side of town.

But now I mostly play at a smaller, closed (mostly due to space and because the owner wants to keep it small) session at Kitty Hoyne's pub. 2nd and 4th Saturdays we're down there playing in a corner...just about 5 or 6 of us. It's great fun!

And unfortunately, I haven't found anyplace locally that stocks whistles.

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>