You know it's Christmas when....

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

You know it's Christmas when....

Post by Tyler »

Komodo Dragon Virgin Birth
...to us this day a lizard is born. :D
The miraculous births, which are all males, could be a product of keeping this threatened species in captivity, say researchers, and could have implications for the continued health of zoo-bound populations.

Parthenogenesis — reproduction without the need for fertilization by a male — is rare in vertebrates. Some animals, including several lizard species, are known to be capable of it. But Komodo dragons have never been seen to breed like this before
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

This is obviously the second coming.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

This is the second komodo dragon in England to give birth divinely. And there is more than one egg, so we're way past "second" coming. Personally, I'd look to your water supply in England.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
emmline

Post by emmline »

This would have been a cleverer explanation, in Jurassic Park, than gender-switching reptiles.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Yeah it would have been more interesting...I guess it's along the same lines though; the idea still works for me.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
djm

Post by djm »

I thought Jurassic Park made it emminently clear: Life finds a way. (booga booga booga) :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Innocent Bystander wrote:This is obviously the second coming.
Why do you say that? Were they conceived of the Holy Ghost?
Reasonable person
Walden
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

you'd have to ask the lizard... :D
Lee Stanford

Post by Lee Stanford »

This article reminds me of that movie "ememy mine" with denis quade where the Drak (lizard alien and sworn enemy of humans) gives bith asexually.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Lee Stanford wrote:This article reminds me of that movie "ememy mine" with denis quade where the Drak (lizard alien and sworn enemy of humans) gives bith asexually.
An all time fave movie!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com