Aurora Over Iowa

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Denny
antispam: No

Aurora Over Iowa

Post by Denny »

djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

This is your Iowa on drugs .....

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Denny

Post by Denny »

looks like Cynth's party got a little out of hand! :party:
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Re: Aurora Over Iowa

Post by Walden »

Denny wrote:Image
*shudder* This is why I never go up north.
Reasonable person
Walden
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

That looks like it would have been a noisy one. I have this odd ability to sense visual and tactile vibrations and know what they sound like, much as a person can feel an object’s shape without looking at it directly and know what it looks like in their mind. Auroras have hissed, sizzled and boomed for me when I've seen them in motion.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

My girlfriend, upon seeing this image: "that has got to be the best picture of Iowa ever taken."
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Rod Sprague wrote:That looks like it would have been a noisy one. I have this odd ability to sense visual and tactile vibrations and know what they sound like, much as a person can feel an object’s shape without looking at it directly and know what it looks like in their mind. Auroras have hissed, sizzled and boomed for me when I've seen them in motion.
So you're synesthetic, then?

I was always struck by the silence of aurora displays; their movement suggests that noise ought to be heard (especially something like the snap of a flag in the wind), but, of course, I hear none.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

s1m0n wrote:My girlfriend, upon seeing this image: "that has got to be the best picture of Iowa ever taken."
Now for the big question:

Is it pronounced Iowuh or is it Ioway?
Reasonable person
Walden
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

That's pretty far South for an Aurora, I thought.
(That's based on the story that my Mother saw an Aurora over Belfast, once. )
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Denny

Post by Denny »

yep...far south!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

You know, I heard on the news that people were seeing the Northern Lights that night so I ran outside and looked in all directions but I didn't see anything. My husband said the weatherman said they were appearing and disappearing. I've always wanted to see the Northern Lights, but I guess you have to make more of an effort than I did. Des Moines is only about 50 miles away so probably I could have seen them if I had kept going outside. I think we are quite far south for them, so it is very unusual, especially a display like the one in the photograph.

I have not heard anyone living in Iowa refer to the state as "Ioway". But "Ioway" is a real word.
Baxoje Ukich'e: The Ioway Nation wrote:Question 1: What's the difference between "Iowa" and "Ioway"?
The Iowa Tribe is the same as the Ioway Tribe. Different sources spell them different ways based on differences in historic pronunciation. So whether you need to learn about the Iowa Indians or the Ioways, this is the right place! We will use both spellings here to get you used to that :)

Question 2: Who are the Iowa or Ioway Indians?
We were the first tribe that inhabited the state of Iowa and parts of surrounding states. We are the reason the state of Iowa got its name. Our ancestors built burial mounds as part of the Woodland Culture. By the year 1000 (about the time of the Dark Ages in Europe) our ancestors had developed a new culture archaeologists call "Oneota". By the year 1650, our ancestors had split up into smaller groups, one of which became known as the Ioway or Iowa Indians. The government evicted the Ioway from our lands in Iowa through a series of treaties in the early 1800s. By 1836 we were relocated on a new reservation in Kansas. That reservation still exists today. In the 1880s, some Ioways moved to Oklahoma, and another reservation is located there. The Iowa are closely related to the Otoe and Missouri Indians.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

You usually have to be a fair distance from city lights to see auroras well. I never saw them all my years living in Spokane, even though they were often visible just 20 miles or so outside of the city.

We got to see them from our ship when we were on our Alaska cruise...not as spectacular as that one, but exciting all the same!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

My house with the aurora over it on October 30 2003. We are just about 50° north! :)
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!