# of stamps to get a x-mas card to Ireland?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
TelegramSam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

# of stamps to get a x-mas card to Ireland?

Post by TelegramSam »

Does anybody know how many stamps I need to stick on the envelope to send a normal-sized christmas card to a pal in Ireland and not have it come back to me? :(
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Jeferson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

How much does a christmas card weigh, then? :poke:
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

In my experience of sending Xmas cards to the States, I go to the Post Office and ask how many stamps do I need on this.

They tell me.

I pay.

That simple.

It ain't expensive.

Slan,
D. :-?
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
emmline

Post by emmline »

dubhlinn wrote:In my experience of sending Xmas cards to the States, I go to the Post Office and ask how many stamps do I need on this.

They tell me.

I pay.

That simple.

It ain't expensive.

Slan,
I do that too. But I don't go to a P.O. in Scunthorpe is the only thing.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

emmline wrote:
dubhlinn wrote:In my experience of sending Xmas cards to the States, I go to the Post Office and ask how many stamps do I need on this.

They tell me.

I pay.

That simple.

It ain't expensive.

Slan,
I do that too. But I don't go to a P.O. in Scunthorpe is the only thing.
Lucky for you,

I went down to the P.O. a while back to send a DVD to a friend of mine in
Boston.

Had it all boxed up and addressed and everything and told the guy that I wanted to send it first class and Airmail..

"Where to ?", he sez.

"The States", sez I.

"The States.." sez he.."Where's that?"

"America", sez I.

"Oh , America", sez he, " You mean the United States of America?"

"The very place", sez I.

Then he told me how much and I paid the postage.

I am prepared to be charitable here and can kinda understand that Scunthorpe Post Office workers do not use the standard Irish expression for America - The States - but even a Scunny Bunny should know where the States are.

Cultural differences, eh.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
djm

Post by djm »

I doubt it. Its more likely you were being politely corrected. Never underestimate the capacity of the officious to browbeat at every opportunity. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

If you were the man on the desk, and you got it in the neck if there was a mistake, even if it wasn't your mistake, you would be officious too.
Time was, "The States" could mean "The United Federal Soviet States of Russia". It still could mean "The League of Arab States" or the seven states of Myanmar.

But I've been to Post Offices, or what pass for Post Offices, in the U.S.A., and can understand the reluctance to go anywhere near them. Despite the fashion for emulating the U.S. Postal Service, the Royal Mail still does a good job, including the mystery service where they miraculously manage to accurately deliver letters with addresses like "The lady in the blue Cardigan on Watling street".

The Royal mail do publish details of what postage is required for what weight (and now size) of letters and packets, to various places.

Does the U.S. Postal Service not do this? Oh yeah, there's a nice link from Jeferson.

The answer to the original question is "One, if it's big enough."
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I've always just stuck two first class stamps on, if I didn't want to fool with weighing an overseas envelope. It's always worked.
Reasonable person
Walden
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

It actually takes more than 2 first-class stamps to get a letter to Ireland now, although I don't remember exactly what the postage is. I had to send a bunch of thank you cards there after my wedding this year, but since I had like 5 rolls of stamps I just stuck 2 first-class & 1 postcard stamp on each. That worked, although I think it's something closer to 83 cents or something.

J.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Bleh. I think I'll just jam three on there and hope it works.

Thanks everybody.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Presently it's $0.84 for a first class letter to Italy. I imagine that it's the same or maybe a little less to Ireland.
Mike
brianc

Post by brianc »

Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Right. A standard Christmas card takes a 39 cent stamp. Therefore, using the Domestic Rate Chart, I deduce that a standard Christmas card weighs less than 1 ounce. Looking at the International Rate Chart, I see that a 1 ounce letter requires 84 cents in postage to Ireland.

There is a requirement to include the county and a postal code.

Also, do not send any advertisements for venereal disease preventives unless your recipient is a physician or registered pharmacist.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Lambchop wrote:Also, do not send any advertisements for venereal disease preventives unless your recipient is a physician or registered pharmacist.
That is a Christmas greeting I frankly hadn't considered, ever.

And what, by the way, is a postal code? Is it the same as one's ZIP code?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician