Inexpensive hosting?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
littlejohngael
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Inexpensive hosting?

Post by littlejohngael »

Hi all,

I'm looking to host my site with someone else. Anyone have a personal recommendation? I've searched the web, but if someone in "the family" has a good relationship with a host, I'd love to hear about it.

Not sure what the board rules are, so if you need to PM me, please do so.

Best,

LJ
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

How much are you looking to pay? I host with Readyhosting.com for $99.00 a year (which is a little over $8.00 a month)..that was dirt-cheap years ago when I got my site...but now, you can get hosting at a lot of places like GoDaddy.com for about the same price.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

With Google you can have 100 MB of free space to create a website, store photos, audio, etc.
http://pages.google.com/-/about.html

I use this to host my current website (see WWW link below)
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

If you're not too concerned about reliability, you could always go with Dreamhost. Lots of people use them and they've been good in the past but less so recently in terms of uptime.

With hosting, as anything else, you get what you pay for. Going with the cheapest options is likely to mean you'll experience lots of times when your site is down or email to your domain address isn't available.

If you pay $15-$20 a month you're likely to get better service.

The host that interests me the most these days is Media Temple's grid server, which is $20/month but that gets you a whopping 100 gigs of storage (that's more than my computer has!) and a terabyte of bandwidth. That's by far the best deal I've seen out there, and they have lots of satisfied customers.

If that's overkill for you, check out Dreamhost.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Wanderer wrote:How much are you looking to pay? I host with Readyhosting.com for $99.00 a year (which is a little over $8.00 a month)..that was dirt-cheap years ago when I got my site...but now, you can get hosting at a lot of places like GoDaddy.com for about the same price.
I got hosting with GoDaddy.com recently, and it was around
$99 for two years, including domain reg and all that jazz.

You can choose Windows or Linux server, and they have a number
of 3rd party software you can setup on the server for blogs or chat
or what have you.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

For cheap hosting, I recommend www.siteground.com . Better than godaddy or dreamhost in my experience.
/Bloomfield
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

I put up Mack Hoover's new site here: http://sitesurvival.com
The new site has been there since March and we have had no down time or other problems. The cost is very reasonable ($4.99/Month for the "basic" package plus $13/Year for domain registration). Nice suite of site management and analysis tools as well.

Peter
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

fearfaoin wrote:
Wanderer wrote:How much are you looking to pay? I host with Readyhosting.com for $99.00 a year (which is a little over $8.00 a month)..that was dirt-cheap years ago when I got my site...but now, you can get hosting at a lot of places like GoDaddy.com for about the same price.
I got hosting with GoDaddy.com recently, and it was around
$99 for two years, including domain reg and all that jazz.

You can choose Windows or Linux server, and they have a number
of 3rd party software you can setup on the server for blogs or chat
or what have you.
Yeah, their economy plan is dirt cheap, and didn't include ASP last time I checked...looking today, now it does. It may be time to switch hosts soon ;)
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

www.one.com

Post by MarcusR »

I have a few domains on http://www.one.com for about $1.50/month.
1Gb of webspace and best of all no limitations on transfers or bandwidt
Fast servers, good 24/7 support and full functionallity for ASP, PHP5 and MySQL.
For $3.0/month you can get 2 Gb and so on...

Hard to beat in my opinion.

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
mcurry

Post by mcurry »

bradhurley wrote:The host that interests me the most these days is Media Temple's grid server, which is $20/month but that gets you a whopping 100 gigs of storage (that's more than my computer has!) and a terabyte of bandwidth. That's by far the best deal I've seen out there, and they have lots of satisfied customers.
I just heard a tale of woe about Media Temple last night, from someone who had been on one of their regular non-grid server for a while. Apparently there'd been considerable downtime and flakiness lately, and when they'd complained they'd been strongly encouraged to switch to the grid server, which of course costs more. As might be expected, this has instead resulted in the customer moving to a different hosting service.
Michael Curry
littlejohngael
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

You guys are great. Thanks! :thumbsup: