Teddy Bear Kills 2,500 Trout

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Teddy Bear Kills 2,500 Trout

Post by Jack »

I don't know why, but I find this story cute. Well, it's not cute that 2,500 trout died, but the killer bear itself is so cute and ragged-looking that I couldn't help but smile when I read the story. :)

This teddy bear clogged a drain blocking oxygen flow in a hatchery pool, killing 2,500 trout.

Full story here: http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/26/killer ... index.html
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

A couple years ago while visiting a botanical garden I saw a small child stomping around in a beautiful flower bed planted with spring bulbs.
I'd recognised many of the flowers to be from bulbs that were rather expensive.

I didn't see any one close by who looked like they were his parents
and I was concerned not to frighten the child (as a stranger)
so I quietly said something like, "hello little boy. Please be careful. Try not to step on the baby flowers."

Just then his father dashed across the garden and shouted at me with an loud and angry voice that the child was only 2 yrs old and wasn't accountable for his actions.

I remember thinking at the time that if the poor child takes after his father he might never be thought mature enough to be held accountable for his actions.
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

hyldemoer wrote:A couple years ago while visiting a botanical garden I saw a small child stomping around in a beautiful flower bed planted with spring bulbs.
I'd recognised many of the flowers to be from bulbs that were rather expensive.

I didn't see any one close by who looked like they were his parents
and I was concerned not to frighten the child (as a stranger)
so I quietly said something like, "hello little boy. Please be careful. Try not to step on the baby flowers."

Just then his father dashed across the garden and shouted at me with an loud and angry voice that the child was only 2 yrs old and wasn't accountable for his actions.

I remember thinking at the time that if the poor child takes after his father he might never be thought mature enough to be held accountable for his actions.

I would have politely taken the child away from the flower bed...

Then went to war on his father.

You're too soft Hylde..far too soft.

Slan,
D.
:wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

At least full size-bears are honest about their intentions!

http://www.despair.com/ambition.html

T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

Of course, they're taking the airline-security route to dealing with this issue and banning the disposal of teddy bears in hatcheries, but who can stop that hatefilled toddler from dropping a similar sized or even larger stuffed bunny in there!?
William Bajzek
KateG

Post by KateG »

Ahhh precious offspring of parents who should have earned a Darwin award much earlier in life... When I worked at a maritime museum there were days when we wished that we could volunteer such visitors for hands-on demonstrations of the fine old arts of keel-hauling, flogging and hanging from the rigging. :twisted:

And the gentleman you encountered was too juvenile himself to be told "of course your child is too young to be held accountable...that's what parents are for." GRRR
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Personal accountability is, I'm afraid, a dying concept.
[sarcasm]...I blame GTA...[/sarcasm]
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

This doesn't necessarily sound like a case of parental neglect. The kid might have accidently dropped the bear and nobody noticed. Doubtful but possible.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Jack

Post by Jack »

Flyingcursor wrote:This doesn't necessarily sound like a case of parental neglect. The kid might have accidently dropped the bear and nobody noticed. Doubtful but possible.
That was my first thought, too...
djm

Post by djm »

Cofaidh wrote:[sarcasm]...I blame GTA...[/sarcasm]
Georgia Transit Authority?
Greater Toronto Area?
Galloping Toad Abatoirs?

:boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

Doesnt sound like a very well run Hatchery to me! Surely the the infeed water supplies are usually fitted with Venturi taps? Also, ponds and tanks on a hatchery should really be checked every couple of hours!
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

KateG wrote: of course your child is too young to be held accountable...that's what parents are for." GRRR
Quite - and he should have been presented with a bill by the owner of the flowerbed.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Jack

Post by Jack »

Martin Milner wrote:
KateG wrote: of course your child is too young to be held accountable...that's what parents are for." GRRR
Quite - and he should have been presented with a bill by the owner of the flowerbed.
Whatever happened to forgiveness? Children can't help it if their parents are less than wonderful.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Cranberry wrote:
Martin Milner wrote:
Whatever happened to forgiveness? Children can't help it if their parents are less than wonderful.
Children are much easier to forgive when their parents have made restitution.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

My parents ended up making monetary restitutions for some of my childhood mistakes, and I say it was only right that they did so.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician